Page 936 of 2461 FirstFirst ... 436836886926932933934935936937938939940946986103614361936 ... LastLast
Results 14,026 to 14,040 of 36910

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    well...

the weekend after the UK hits the highest death toll in Europe, the government has announced that they are intending to ease lockdown.

i am... very angry but also quite hollow about this. Tens of thousands of people have died. Many more will die. The government does not care even though much of it is preventable.

Stay safe everyone. Socially distance, care for your communities in any way that you can and do not lose hope, even though such a thing is in short supply.
    There are so many morons out there (no, I’m not going to mince my words, if you can’t follow basic instructions because you know better, or because you won’t get the disease, or you’ll only get it mildly, or because you think it’s all a big hoax, or you just don’t care, then you’re a moron - it’s not an infringement of your civil liberties or squashing your fun, fuckwit, it’s about saving lives), but it might not have got any worse than that if our Kindly Noble Overseer Boris (aka K.N.O.B. Johnson) had been capable last night of delivering a message that was in any way clear.

But his message was just a vague, waffled “Don’t go to work if you can not go to work, but if you can’t not go to work then you should go to work, but not using public transport and maybe you should cycle but only if it’s with a member of your household and you might not be able to but if you can then try and stagger your travel time, and from Wednesday you can do unlimited outdoor exercise but we haven’t changed the rule that says you can travel to and from your exercise for as long as the exercise itself lasts, so you can now travel as much as you like except you can’t and if it all goes wrong now it’s your fault not mine and you should be alert because your country needs lerts.”

Oh what I’d give for an actual leader in this country.

I wish I lived in New Zealand.
    Last edited by Beadle; 05-11-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    There are so many morons out there (no, I’m not going to mince my words, if you can’t follow basic instructions because you know better, or because you won’t get the disease, or you’ll only get it mildly, or because you think it’s all a big hoax, or you just don’t care, then you’re a moron - it’s not an infringement of your civil liberties or squashing your fun, fuckwit, it’s about saving lives), but it might not have got any worse than that if our Kindly Noble Overseer Boris (aka K.N.O.B. Johnson) had been capable last night of delivering a message that was in any way clear.

But his message was just a vague, waffled “Don’t go to work if you can not go to work, but if you can’t not go to work then you should go to work, but not using public transport and maybe you should cycle but only if it’s with a member of your household and you might not be able to but if you can then try and stagger your travel time, and from Wednesday you can do unlimited outdoor exercise but we haven’t changed the rule that says you can travel to and from your exercise for as long as the exercise itself lasts, so you can now travel as much as you like except you can’t and if it all goes wrong now it’s your fault not mine and you should be alert because your country needs lerts.”

Oh what I’d give for an actual leader in this country.

I wish I lived in New Zealand.
    I have taken a break from Twitter because looking at it all made me too angry to focus on my work.

Small mercies:

- While I don't trust him as far as I can throw him and the fact that he's becoming a very useful and important voice in the crisis is VERY strange; it was very gratifying to watch Piers Morgan lay into the Conservative MP they wheeled out to try and defend the government position on Good Morning Britain.
    - The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish governments are flatly refusing to adopt the central government's position, and quite right too.
    - I had a very cathartic phone call with my mum this morning. A lot of foul language used, a lot of spleen vented, catharsis.
    - I can take comfort from the fact that my loved ones and everyone I care about is still taking this very seriously and still remaining in isolation.

Hurgh.

Small mercies. Self care and ****.

Anyhow, probably gonna make some silly Rumbles to take my mind off things.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 05-11-2020 at 06:48 AM.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    ...isn't Rin basically Sesshomaru's adoptive daughter?
    Kinda-sorta, but feelings might've changed as she matured into adulthood. And it's confirmed that she didn't get with Kohaku as some fans assumed, so who knows?*shrugs*
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Kinda-sorta, but feelings might've changed as she matured into adulthood. And it's confirmed that she didn't get with Kohaku as some fans assumed, so who knows?*shrugs*
    We'll have to wait and see, but I can gurantee that if that turns out to be the case then at least some people are going to find it iffy at best.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 05-11-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    It is worth noting that far more people are in favor of the lockdowns and social distancing than against them
    We'll see, I guess. A lot of people are mindful of it now, but can easy to fall back into old habits and get lax.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's happening everywhere. In places where the sickness is still on the rise, even.

This is the Spanish Flu all over again. Brace yourselves for the second wave, it's going to be ugly.

They won't. Vancouver went nuts over the weekend, with crowds gathering in parks, no masks, etc.

And the newspaper article showing this said

1. It's not 'work' you get paid for or 'earn' something from, you idiot; it's safety.
    2. If the curve is flattening, it's BECAUSE we're in social isolation; if we remove that before we're ready, the virus comes back hardcore;
    3. The entitlement in this quote is sickening. This isn't about privilege, either, you idiot; again, for the dim in the crowd, it's SAFETY.

I'm disgusted (by a lot, not just this article; it's just a prime example), and anticipating the second wave with horror.
    Oh, good grief. -_-

Yeah, like maintaining a healthy diet, you don't get to just go back to gorging yourself on McDonald's and Taco Bell after losing the twenty-five pounds the first time. The weight doesn't magically stay off the rest of your life. The virus doesn't magically vanish just because you stayed in for a couple months.

I get being socially deprived is awful for a lot of people, but I think a lot of people also just aren't thinking about the actual biological mechanics at play, they're just stopping at "Okay, so if I behave this long, then I get a treat" or something.

Well, wherever you all are, good luck and stay safe.

I have taken a break from Twitter because looking at it all made me too angry to focus on my work.
    While it's good to stay informed, I would definitely advise regular breaks from social media. Several friends have put themselves in an anxiety frenzy being glued to the news feed constantly.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 05-11-2020 at 08:20 AM.

One of the nice things about being in Alaska for this, I suppose, was that Canada/the rest of the World closing borders and blocking international travel did more to protect us than our own self-isolation efforts.

Unfortunately, the rush to reopen everything is going to change that.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Jerry Stiller has passed away from natural causes.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

I know it's old but.... O_o

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

- While I don't trust him as far as I can throw him and the fact that he's becoming a very useful and important voice in the crisis is VERY strange; it was very gratifying to watch Piers Morgan lay into the Conservative MP they wheeled out to try and defend the government position on Good Morning Britain.
    It's surprising who is stepping up to the plate. While Doug Ford (Premier of Ontario) was otherwise a horrific dumpster fire before this crisis, he has actually done...well, better than most other Premiers at being stable, holding to course, cooperating with the feds, keeping things shut down.

He's not perfect, but I'm shocked to say I'm impressed. He has even taken on a certain gravitas, which...honestly, I thought was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Oh, good grief. -_-

Yeah, like maintaining a healthy diet, you don't get to just go back to gorging yourself on McDonald's and Taco Bell after losing the twenty-five pounds the first time. The weight doesn't magically stay off the rest of your life. The virus doesn't magically vanish just because you stayed in for a couple months.

I get being socially deprived is awful for a lot of people, but I think a lot of people also just aren't thinking about the actual biological mechanics at play, they're just stopping at "Okay, so if I behave this long, then I get a treat" or something.

Well, wherever you all are, good luck and stay safe.
    Thanks. And yeah, stay safe.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

1. It's not 'work' you get paid for or 'earn' something from, you idiot; it's safety.
    2. If the curve is flattening, it's BECAUSE we're in social isolation; if we remove that before we're ready, the virus comes back hardcore;
    3. The entitlement in this quote is sickening. This isn't about privilege, either, you idiot; again, for the dim in the crowd, it's SAFETY.

I'm disgusted (by a lot, not just this article; it's just a prime example), and anticipating the second wave with horror.
    The biggest problem isn't just the public somehow being unable to just ride things out for a few months, though it's linked to that, but also that the governments of most countries are trying to have their cake and eat it. They went for lazy quarantine measures despite having China as a prior example of how the virus operates and want to relax them asap. If a country wanted quick results, the bare minimum they should have done is employ the drastic measures that South Korea did, which have been effective in minimizing the virus' spread to the point that they're already facing the second wave of infection (to which their response was to immediately start the measures again, as they should).

Governments are treating this like it's a matter of public opinion and so can brushed over by entertaining it for a little while, instead of a natural phenomenon that only responds to what's actually done.
    Last edited by Siriel; 05-11-2020 at 02:11 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

be warned. the ending is really stupid.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...I am now bummed to realize I have both no Oreos or milk.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

well, that's one way to take the belt off becky.

real talk, congrats to the man and the man for having a kid.

It's surprising who is stepping up to the plate. While Doug Ford (Premier of Ontario) was otherwise a horrific dumpster fire before this crisis, he has actually done...well, better than most other Premiers at being stable, holding to course, cooperating with the feds, keeping things shut down.

He's not perfect, but I'm shocked to say I'm impressed. He has even taken on a certain gravitas, which...honestly, I thought was impossible.

Thanks. And yeah, stay safe.
    Winston Churchill was generally terrible until he was perfect for the moment.