Page 38 of 109 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Disappointed that Lorna's scene in #31 seems to be it for her in Blue! The cover to #34 gave me hope she would still play a part, alas.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

On wait and see mode with The Gifted. They seem to be promoting Lorna heavily. So if she is takes a back seat from the action after her baby is born, I hope it will pay off later in the season.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    On wait and see mode with The Gifted. They seem to be promoting Lorna heavily. So if she is takes a back seat from the action after her baby is born, I hope it will pay off later in the season.
    Same here. Hoping that it all leads to something epic.

I think if they had gone with the actual White Queen/Black Queen formula instead of a top down Brotherhood in all but name it would have/be helpful for the story and soap. It might evolve that way or not who knows. Having one undisputed group leader works better on film then TV shows where GoT style intrigue is supposed to eat up air time.

We will see if this is a building self confidence season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Disappointed that Lorna's scene in #31 seems to be it for her in Blue! The cover to #34 gave me hope she would still play a part, alas.
    After the title was yanked characters migrated quickly to different writers who wanted them. We know who wanted Emma and Havok.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-17-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Episode #2: rX

Retro-Reviews

Scene one

Scene two

Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.

About Lorna in the comics.

"Did another writer want her after X-Men Blue ended" may be the wrong question to ask. Remember. The writers do not decide whether or not she gets to be in anything.

I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Episode #2: rX

Retro-Reviews

Scene one

Ok I loved how confidently she strides into the jail.

It was a very weird thing though her being placed in a regular women's prison with tons of humans.

I thought it was slightly weird she had no concept about that collar at first.

The shower scene where her hair-dye comes out and her natural green is revealed was very important, can you imagine the bitching that would have happened without her having green hair? I still see tons of folks who only see scenes from episode 1 complaining and saying "FOX DOES NOT GET HOW TO MAKE ANYTHING COMIC ACCURATE" blah blah blah. So annoying thank god they avoided that catastrophe.

I do think 1) Why didn't her dye go out in episode 1, she was in the RAIN? 2) Why did the other prisoners just STARE at her like in shock? I mean, her hair is green... and? YOu live in a world of mutants is that really all THAT weird? It seemed a bit much but it worked for the dramatic effect with her sort of confidently turning around and walking off as well

I thought it was a bit too bad the Porcelain mutant didn't get used more I thought maybe there would be a like jail break type situation or Lorna would rally mutants to take over the prison and escape

Scene two

This is a very important scene it's one of the ones most frequently used in terms of fans of her and why they like her

It was just an example of how incredibly bold and confident the character gets portrayed as

Very much inner resolution

I did think it was a bit of a sad trope to have the black woman be the sort of cruel bully but I guess that's ok

I thought it was a bit sad how easily beaten up Polaris was, like you'd think she would have gained some sort of proficiency in combat after all those years with the Underground? Made her seem a bit weak for me

But thankfully her epic like struggle to overcome the pain from collar to deliver righteous justice was great, detaching and then hurling a metal table to plaster her opponent against the fence

Then she gets tossed in "The Hole" and begins to freak out suggesting some type of maybe claustrophobia or background related to fear of solitude
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    About Lorna in the comics.

"Did another writer want her after X-Men Blue ended" may be the wrong question to ask. Remember. The writers do not decide whether or not she gets to be in anything.

This is true. It's a "soft self censorship" like most of the corporate world. Doesn't need to be an explicit mandate, writers have a general "understanding" of what editorial is cool with or wants to push or avoid at given times and act accordingly
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

rX

A number of really great moments in this one. One of my favorites being when the shower reveals Lorna's green hair. I loved that it was a nod to the comics where after taking a shower, Polaris reveals her emerald tresses to Beast.

My other favorite moment is when we see Lorna push past the collar, and attack the scar lady. A great moment that showed off Polaris' strength of will.

BANNED

Goin' on recall alone, I think the second outing could very well be Polaris' best ep, among the earlier to mid ones. In fact, it contained two of her most iconic S1 moments/scenes overall IMO, save events more towards the end: the shower with the hair reveal, and the prison yard fight. Both those plot developments, and the imagery used for them, were so dramatic & powerful... moving & intense!! It's when I knew we really had something good, and gained a lot of confidence in the creators' vision. It's still & always will be, one of my favorites, and it'll be remembered & treasured forever.

💚💚
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ... I do think 1) Why didn't her dye go out in episode 1, she was in the RAIN?...
    Shampoo, soap, water temp, or some combination thereof.

X-Men #49 (1968): Lorna says she was born with green hair.

X-Factor #243 (2012): Lorna's memory suggests she didn't have green hair until she unleashed her powers on the plane.

Did her foster parents tell her she was born with green hair and she believed it? Did she assume she was born with green hair cause she remembers nothing earlier? Did she actually have her green hair (and therefore all her powers) at birth and Suzanna and Arnold were dyeing it brown, but her emotions got rid of the dye?

A look outside the fiction would say Peter David simply forgot Lorna said she was born with green hair. But even if that's the case, it's a rather minor thing. Makes more sense to try to figure out how the two things could be reconciled.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-14-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    ... Did she assume she was born with green hair cause she remembers nothing earlier? Did she actually have her green hair (and therefore all her powers) at birth and Suzanna and Arnold were dyeing it brown, but her emotions got rid of the dye?...
    Either of these could work well, IMO. IIRC, the second could even play into some of the heated words Suzanna & Arnold had, during that XF243 origin issue.