Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I think she'll be fighting for the baby. Ten episodes in, and I think its safe to say that she's still aligned against the Mutant Underground. I think the first episodes this season will have Lorna focusing on her new born baby, but I think after a bit she'll eventually get back out into the field. I mean Nix keeps talking about Polaris and Eclipse being divided despite still loving each other, so I don't think Lorna's changing her mind on anything. I think she just something else to worry about, and that's her child.

I personally don't care too much for the kid, and I'm shocked that its made it this far. Hopefully this child will be used in a way for Lorna to reflect on her own parents, and perhaps begin to see Magneto in a different light.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think people are misinterpreting JDW's Tweet. He's saying that characters like Polaris, Sage, and the rest will get the spotlight when a writers feels as passionately about them as their fans do. Everything he said prior to that implies that no one really feels interested in Lorna at the moment, and isn't inclined to push for the character because he'd rather the writers use characters they want to use.
    I read it the same way. Lorna might cameo from time to time doing the occasional power blast and one liner, but don't expect more then that.

1. They are treating Lorna differently then characters they are promoting for Marvel produced TV like Daredevil who have their own ongoings and are being handed a mini series on the X-Men this Fall to promote in the end Daredevil to X-Men fans. My assumption based on Jeff Loeb's comments is Fox being part of Disney doesn't really matter for Marvel TV in that they would prefer not to share the TV rights to produce x-shows with Fox studios period. Disney doesn't have a dog in the hunt as they will get as much money with a Fox Studios/Marvel collaboration once they own both vs only Marvel product.

2. There is truth to Lorna having a sales issue the past several years as a character that she did not have early to mid last decade. Lorna had alot of momentum and interest in her coming off of Genosha and Austen's run and fans actually saw the character as dynamic and interesting. They removed alot of the aspects of the character that made her interesting to fans early to mid last decade and reset the character to a depiction that really didn't interest fans and sent her on a bus in space for a half decade where she lost her readership and momentum.

I actually think her fighting for mutant rights (with bare knuckles) and dealing with Genosha and its fallout and legacy issues and finding her voice above all was what created the momentum and interest in the character which was squandered. I don't think Marvel can expect to just toss Lorna onto a mini or in a storyline and expect her to sell without putting in real effort to rebuild the character and I don't sense the interest in doing so. X-Men Blue in the end squandered the chance to build on the aspects that actually could build up the characters popularity... and that is not 80s nostalgia and writing her as a generic heroine who seems like she is there mainly to further other characters stories and I have nothing more to say on that.

Going forward for the next few years I don't have much hope in regard to comic Lorna doing anything worthwhile. Pure MCU/X-Men synergy is also going to kick in starting around 2020 and if Lorna isn't in the MCU she will likely be **** out of luck in the comics without a champion.

I think she'll be fighting for the baby. Ten episodes in, and I think its safe to say that she's still aligned against the Mutant Underground. I think the first episodes this season will have Lorna focusing on her new born baby, but I think after a bit she'll eventually get back out into the field. I mean Nix keeps talking about Polaris and Eclipse being divided despite still loving each other, so I don't think Lorna's changing her mind on anything. I think she just something else to worry about, and that's her child.

I personally don't care too much for the kid, and I'm shocked that its made it this far. Hopefully this child will be used in a way for Lorna to reflect on her own parents, and perhaps begin to see Magneto in a different light.
    For The Gifted version there is still lots of potential there, but the show needs to remember Lorna's own goal to change things for the child which Nix refers to (which they may in time) and not get totally bogged down too deep in baby drama and will they or won't they romantic soap. Being aligned on a team against the Mutant Underground doesn't mean anything if she isn't involved in decision making on that team or changing things else wise and is entirely focused on the babies immediate welfare (we will have to see in that regard).

I know you love the show and I do as well, but they could very well ruin the power of the schism and hurt Eclaris in the process by overdoing the baby drama and the will they or won't they scenes... without Lorna doing anything to make the schism feel real and that is key except verbal arguments we have seen over and over again last season between Eclipse and Lorna. It will work for the first episode which sounds strong, but it won't work so well several weeks in.

I do think around ep 10 something very bad will happen, perhaps the kidnapping I talked about earlier. That may be what will force her from the base as you said and it looks like at first maybe team up with the Underground for help though we will see what becomes of it.

My big hope for the first half of the season is yes her reflection on the past ep. My hope for the second is we see her actually trying to change things again out in the field at least a little bit and the baby issue is resolved one way or the other be it a Anya scenario or Lorna having to make a painful choice after its nearly killed for its own safety or any thing else.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Are you guys enjoying my dutiful reviews of season 1? I have received 0 feedback of late and .. I mean.. is anyone even reading them? I worry sometimes I'm just typing these out for my own benefit. It's true I do enjoy doing it, I laugh sometimes and notice new things but well.. it'd be better if anyone else noticed as well haha
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Are you guys enjoying my dutiful reviews of season 1? I have received 0 feedback of late and .. I mean.. is anyone even reading them? I worry sometimes I'm just typing these out for my own benefit. It's true I do enjoy doing it, I laugh sometimes and notice new things but well.. it'd be better if anyone else noticed as well haha
    I am reading them and like seeing your thoughts, they remind me of season one's strengths and weaknesses. Really the mid season holding pattern from episode 6 to the very end of episode 10 along with too many repetitive arguments was probably the weakest part of the season. The soap was handled well at times and unevenly in others in season one I felt. Repetition was a real problem. While when the show chooses to focus on mutant metaphor, deep issues and when it gets into nitty gritty social issues and high suspense it is on top of its game and the best show on television.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think people are misinterpreting JDW's Tweet. He's saying that characters like Polaris, Sage, and the rest will get the spotlight when a writers feels as passionately about them as their fans do. Everything he said prior to that implies that no one really feels interested in Lorna at the moment, and isn't inclined to push for the character because he'd rather the writers use characters they want to use.
    People are definitely misinterpreting his tweets. As you said, those were just examples he gave of other characters who haven't had a spotlight yet. In that tweet, he was basically saying "Lorna is among a long list of characters who haven't gotten this, but I'm sure it'll happen some day."

I had a lot to say on various points in reply, which I won't rehash here in this context. But for this specific bit, Lorna's been around for 50 years. In that time, past decades have treated her poorly, those toxic depictions are what she's most remembered by, and she's either had no spotlight or one spotlight in that whole time (depending on how you view Austen's use of her 14 years ago).

If she'd been given a fair shot and shown she's not viable, and if that fair shot was focused on Lorna in her own right and her actual great qualities instead of past toxic depictions meant to benefit everyone except her, then I'd understand her not getting much use at Marvel. As it is, it just feels like people at Marvel (note I'm generalizing; not saying any specific person) hold tight to toxic ideas of her and won't give her a chance to break past them like Invisible Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman have been given a chance to do.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Thanks juan. I'm glad they noted how Lorna was the second woman to join the X-Men. Still getting my thoughts in order about the costume.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Just another excuse to bash early 2000s Lorna for them again this week... it doesn’t matter.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-children-...er-weaker/amp/

https://www.cbr.com/powerful-weaker-mutant-kids/amp/

Also Nix EW interview.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.

AD: [AU] X-men by Avellyne

Fantasy AU of Lorna as a witch, with stranger Pietro, by kellefromhell, inspired by a Russian fanfic. She's drawn plenty of amazing work of not just Lorna, but the Magnus family in general, so she's definitely worth checking out.

Polaris pin-up cosplay worn by Rook for DragonCon 2014. They wore it alongside Jennifer Kateri as Scarlet Witch in this picture, and a bunch of other people for other pin-up cosplays. More pictures at the link.

As for the CBR article. In my last post, I noted I'm glad they acknowledged Lorna as the second female X-Men member. I'm also glad Havok isn't mentioned, which shows the article actually focusing on Lorna for herself. There's one problematic detail though. The write-up implies that Lorna did a mash-up of Jean and Storm's costumes to get hers, when in reality Lorna had her costume before Storm was even created.

One other aspect is the "almost unrecognizable" line. I agree with it, as I think anything other than her iconic costume or a variation of it (Kris Anka's redesign is an excellent next step sans Magneto chest bubbles) is bad for her outside specific context. But it's a line with issues no matter how we look at it. From a "compared to her iconic costume today" angle, she was equally unrecognizable in both the Austen and X-Factor costumes. From an "it's a change from X-Factor" angle, she'd been going through a lot of costume changes in that time period. So it's pretty much just singling out one costume change over all the others, including the one that came from joining X-Factor.

Overall, though, I'm intrigued by the sharp increase of Lorna included in CBR articles. It makes me wonder why. Is the popularity of the TV partial representation of her leading them to want to add her to more lists to boost views? Do they see Marvel isn't doing anything with her, and want to boost her profile in hopes Marvel's pushed to actually start using her like they should? Has Marvel specifically asked them to include her in more lists with a certain framing in hopes of getting readers to be more accepting of what they want to do with/to her in the future?
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

To show the level Polaris and Emma Dumont are a hit in China.

Also, Lorna’s classic outfit I believe was heavily based on one 60s character, but it wasn’t Jean.

By Daniel Garand

But, the outfit also had darker attributes then Wanda’s, the arm bands were more like Mags wears and the headgear was different.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

That costume change certainly made a statement! It was an experimental time across the X-books.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Psyched for this premiere!! Not long now!!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    That costume change certainly made a statement! It was an experimental time across the X-books.
    Comic readers by in large say they like new and different, but a loud subset react very badly when it happens unless its critically acclaimed script material. In terms of Lorna and the line its been an interesting fight between the popular ideas of that era for the character and the powerful centrifugal force that tries to force her characterization back into an 80s or early 90s configuration.

Right now the 90s are so very much in across the board. Once the MCU comic plans are finalized in the next year or two then expect some significant changes. Who they pick for their core cast of mutants for the first two films will be key in that. A few fan or writers and editors favorites will get decent roles I would imagine, but MCU synergy will be a powerful and active force.

They went through a few iterations after it first came out because it like most of Austen's scripts were a last minute sort of thing after Morrison dropped his Genosha issue with Lorna before settling on its standard for most of 2003-2005.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I've been enjoying your recaps, AN.

Saying Polaris' original costume takes inspiration from Jean and Storm is nonsense. I don't see what similarities it has with Jean's Marvel Girl outside of being green, and Polaris debuted before Storm did. How did it draw inspiration before Storm even existed lol?

One more day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Philip Jimenez: Polaris in her best 60s (70s?) drag.

Lorna's classic outfit... the real classic outfit.

That brings back some original story line as well as Genosha era memories. ...
    O. M. G. - OUTSTANDING! This is effin' EVERYthing!! Such style, SO dramatic in design, LOVE that skull!!! For the long-sought Lorna Dane one-shot or solo, it's Jimenez or bust! He says there's another version he'll share soon, BRING it, baby!! Best Polaris piece I've seen from a comic pro in some time, absolute, unforgettable PERFECTION!!!