Page 44 of 109 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Really, it's pure coincidence that they excluded Polaris from yet another thing like this. Just like it was a coincidence for her to be left off the X-Men 50th anniversary variant covers back in 2013, while Havok got to be on them with four of the O5.

I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Contented confidence, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    So.......they have the O5 plus Havok, and no Lorna? The disrespect. No one needs to see Doop represented.
    There's no Nightcrawler, either.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Episode #9: outfoX

TG-Caps-1x09-outfoX-41-Polaris-magnetism.jpg

In this episode we start to see just what innocent lil refugee chick Esme is really all about..

As she starts to execute a plan of manipulation on the Underground all in order to 1) retrieve her "sisters"/clones and 2) start to work on and recruit as many members as possible for the Hellfire Club.

How this affects our gal Lorna is basically Esme gives her a nightmare that her friends, bf, and child are all captured by the SS, Lorna wildly freaks out at this and even does real-life damage in her room

This helps convince her to want to attack Trask

TG-Caps-1x09-outfoX-56-Dreamer-Polaris-Memory-manipulation-pink-smoke.jpg

This is a hilarious and fun scene, where Lorna and her best friend Dreamer go to a bar to "seduce" a male Trask employee into giving up information about where he works

Basically the dude starts mocking mutants too much and Lorna flies off the handle, turning a spoon into brass knuckles, and slugs the dude out cold

Dreamer panics a bit but is still able to "do her thing" and get the needed info

The two saunter off remarking only "best girl's night ever"

TG-Caps-1x09-outfoX-85-Polaris-Eclipse.jpg

There is some arguing again over what to do, how to attack Trask, etc.

Marcos is as always being a damn wet blanket and holding back Lorna whining that it's too hard and too dangerous

He says he will always protect her and their child

Interestingly... Lorna says she doesn't think that's a promise he can keep

Further hinting at her "turning to darkness" and becoming alienated from the mission of the Underground
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

TG-Caps-1x09-outfoX-103-Esme-Polaris-magnetism.jpg

In this scene we see Lorna and Esme working together for the first time...

Of course we all know now it certainly won't be the last ;-)

Lorna seems to view Esme as basically a goofy refugee who is in way over her head and clueless, as she nearly drops a damn detonator (question: do we think Esme faked this mistake, or was she really that ridiculous? i mean, everyone could have died if not for Lorna's instant reacting)

After Lorna lectures Esme that this isn't just for fun , it's life or death

Esme probes Lorna's mind and then talks to her about if she's ever had someone who she would do anything for, just to try to keep them safe or get back to them

Lorna is taken aback by this , knowing full well she does indeed relate

Esme puts on her best puppy dog face and says "I can't leave 'em"

Such good acting by Skyler in this episode haha

Ok overall thoughts for Lorna in episode 9

I don't like the sense of her being manipulated or subjected to mind control thats a bad trope for the character

However I think overall she comes off pretty well, strong, fierce, a team player as well

Not a ton about Lorna in this episode as I indicated in the previous review, and it'll be likewise for the next episode as well

But there is the continuing thread through these three episodes even with a relative drought of focus, of... Lorna becoming increasingly disenchanted and removed from the Underground and their ways. And feeling "more" needs to be done to truly secure a future for mutantkind (and her child).

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    There's no Nightcrawler, either.
    Nightcrawler isn't on the short list of must promote X-Men. He sometimes does get promoted because he was part of a run deemed iconic, but when the MCU reboots I doubt he will be included or at least not right away. There is the short list of core x-characters who matter to Marvel and then there is who writers and artists like. Sideshow's art prints this year pretty much got down to the core lists.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.

BANNED

So the default is 90's B&G, in your opinion?

So the default is 90's B&G, in your opinion?
    Right now in terms of merchandising and overall push? Yes, big time, the 90s are in massively... to a level that even I find sort of toxic and I was a 90s X-Men comic reader.

They know who has the money to spend and still might be vaguely into genre... at the moment and its the 90s fans. Though maybe I am a unique 90s fan in that I don't think everything was great about the era in the comics nor do I want read 90s stories rehashed with a few tweaks. However, I don't think I am alone in that in that I know more then a few 90s fans that share that view.

In five to ten years though it will change to a two track promotion I suspect. One track and the biggest one will be selling to who the MCU deems worthy and some big names of the 80s and 90s aren't going to make the cut. Then selling more era specific merchandise to fans of the eras and the generation that came of age in the early to mid 2000s will start being cratered too a bit more. Once the Axis retcon comes down then I think the amount of Lorna merchandise and being included in official art will go up quite a bit.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 08:00 AM.

BANNED

Seems quite calculating, but could be.

Seems quite calculating, but could be.
    Across the merchandising we see the heavy 90s influence right now, even the Lorna card put out by Upper Deck. Though Lorna is in a similar situation to Emma Frost in that their peak 2000s era depictions simply were vastly more popular then their standard 90s era depiction and they are well aware of that, though my belief is they aren't entirely sure how to deal with it.

I do think Marvel merchandisers would love to do Magnus family GoT type merchandise and stuff, but we both know none of that will happen until an order from on high gets made.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Marvel.com has finally listed The Gifted as one of their TV shows and no they weren't last year.

https://www.marvel.com/tv-shows
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

That's some good news! Happy to see Marvel listing The Gifted on their website.

I don't know if anyone saw this last night, but Jordan D White was having a conversation about Polaris on Twitter. I can't remember everything that was said, but it seems that no one in the X-office is really interested in using her. I don't know if he was talking about using her in general, or if he was talking about using her in a leading capacity. Regardless, I found the conversation kind of disheartening. I know she'll be popping up in Uncanny, but I don't know if she'll have a place after.

I don't know if anyone saw this last night, but Jordan D White was having a conversation about Polaris on Twitter. I can't remember everything that was said, but it seems that no one in the X-office is really interested in using her. I don't know if he was talking about using her in general, or if he was talking about using her in a leading capacity. Regardless, I found the conversation kind of disheartening. I know she'll be popping up in Uncanny, but I don't know if she'll have a place after.
    Takes a look.

In terms of the Lorna and being blacklisted issue... as I have said in the past no I don't believe she is. But that isn't the same as not being on Marvel's list of x-characters (and they have it if they admit to it or not) that they want promoted.

Jordan White is right there is a problem with writers themselves in that if one wants a conventional hero with an interesting hair color with long term romantic intrigue with a Summers brother... they are going to pick Jean each and every time... unless they are writing cosmic rings and want a character to further his story.

While at the same point in time if a writer wants a morally ambiguous character who fights for mutants, who will kill and who the X-Men don't entirely trust. Writers are going to go with Magneto or Emma Frost. We saw this when the X-Women went to Lorna and Magneto's home this Summer for a mini series. Lorna could have stood in for Magneto in that mini very easily and could have developed connections to the core x-women in the process. But, most comic writers don't get nor understand Lorna's darker qualities.

Lorna's green haired Jean image is her greatest handicap at the same point in time writers really don't understand Lorna's edge from early last decade nor her own relationship with mutant issues. Vaguely its passed off as her being insane at that time (certainly that is what X-Men Blue #9 did), but The Gifted writers for the first season actually did look into it and come up with something approximating Lorna's early 00s philosophy on using force.

Lorna was not Magneto jr. on the first season of The Gifted. She had some qualities of her father like anger at mutants being hunted, some qualities of Emma Frost as a teacher, I could go on and on. But, by in large it was a take off of JM and early 00s Lorna with some key differences. Mind you I personally think Austen era Lorna at her best was more interesting, but then again Austen era Lorna at her best was a much more worldly character, one might even call her a disillusioned revolutionary who lived a dozen lives. The Gifted Lorna is at an earlier stage of her life.

Writers by in large want to look to the 80s and 90s for source material, but there isn't much interesting of Lorna's character to salvage interesting from those eras and writers who look too hard in those eras for ideas become trapped in the typical hole Lorna's character falls into. There was good stuff in JM's run, but you really have to hunt for it as he had to hide what exactly he was doing from editorial who was in full black and white mode at the time.

At the same time Jordan White isn't being fully honest that the idea of Lorna say having a philosophical divergence with Jean he is aware of (I saw fit to make sure of that) and its the sort of thing he has power over. A few here I know would like Lorna to have no disagreement with Jean and be a pure Xavierite, others however see how much more there is to gain from re-developing a core set of views for Lorna that creates built in drama between Lorna and the core X-Men.

Right now there is no built in drama between Lorna and the X-Men with Lorna as the green haired Jean again, only possibly forced manufactured drama through plot devises (Lorna possession part XVIII) and that doesn't build and create lasting fan interest as its not Lorna behind the wheel. If writers had to think about Lorna outside their 80s/90s nostalgia bubble I think they would find alot interesting with her. Its what happened with Austen after Morrison's New X-Men 132. But, I don't see the current crop seeing outside that nostalgia bubble.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.

A baby Polaris shows up in the X-Men Blue preview as one of Mojo's X-babies.
    Emma saw a scan of it and Marcus To responds about him sneaking the character in there.

Emma is Lorna's best single asset. One could say The Gifted as a whole, but the show in its second season really badly needs to avoid wussing out on the ideological schism and present fully Lorna's worldview and make her more then an angry manipulated girl or baby crazy. For the first half of the season it don't sound good in that area, we will have to see about the second half develops a solid worldview for the character that viewers can understand this is what makes Lorna tick and why she believes what she does.

Reeva is obviously set up as something the character has to overcome and she is basically a bastardized White Queen/Magneto combo composite character, but that doesn't mean the character has to become green haired Jean in the process. Lorna needs to be seen broadly as a character who can move between worlds to start to recapture her 60s potential and not just as a manipulated or possessed character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Marvel.com has finally listed The Gifted as one of their TV shows and no they weren't last year.

https://www.marvel.com/tv-shows
    That pleases me.

I don't think it's "Obvious" Reeva has to be overcome by Lorna in the show BTW... we simply don't know enough yet to assert that. and I hope it's not the case (because I want to root for both of them).

I am simply gobsmacked and SHOCKED that there are NO plans for Lorna at all. That's just NUTS. Makes no sense.

How do you even explain that?

Is it really just a case of their current writers not being sufficiently interested?

Or... is it more about higher-up strategizing, and trying to stray away from moral ambiguity/cutting political commentary?
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 09-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Emma saw a scan of it and Marcus To responds about him sneaking the character in there.

Yeah, I saw that last night too lol. Baby Polaris is better than no Polaris I suppose.

I think its too early to say Lorna won't be used anywhere, but like I said, it was disappointing that no one in X-Office is really keen on using her. I've been getting more and more agitated that Marvel canceled All New X-Factor. The first chance Lorna really got to break free from the usual story lines, and they cancel it. Who knows when she'll ever get that chance again.