Page 16 of 109 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Lorna works so much better as an anti-hero. I really wish the comics would embrace her dark side like The Gifted does. I think they should give her a mini to play with that idea

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna works so much better as an anti-hero. I really wish the comics would embrace her dark side like The Gifted does. I think they should give her a mini to play with that idea
    Yep. I agree. Who do you think she would be good with though?
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Yep. I agree. Who do you think she would be good with though?
    what do you mean?

what do you mean?
    Sorry I didn't mean for a romantic pairing, I meant like in a book together or on a squad.

OBEY

I think there will be a realization about the limits with Lorna's character of the path they are on namely as live action will be facilitating really popular relationship development and interaction of the kind that totally eludes the comic character and people will see and understand that better with time.

I want the comic version of Lorna to build relationships with her contemporaries that interest and excite fans and even sucker punch them at times and if it happens it will be win-win for both Lorna as a character and the other X-Men in the long term. I also want a version of Lorna that excites fans as well as myself. We have seen what years of generic super hero antics, a generic depiction and a divorce from mutant issues has put the character in the comics and it hasn't been good.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-18-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I'm currently insistent that she deserves a solo/mini/oneshot, or at least to be leader on a team book that Marvel actually promotes. Years ago, I said a solo for Lorna would be nice but she needed more to set her up for one and justify it. A year ago, I said Lorna should get one given the live action show and popularity through it, but I was fine without that as long as she was simply used more and had more presence. Now, she absolutely needs and deserves one. Marvel clearly needs to understand who the hell Lorna is and what she's about, and I'm convinced the only way that'll happen is if she's on a book set up in a way where they have to focus on her and not Havok, or Magneto, or Gambit, etc. Being exploited to promote Havok and Magneto on Blue needs to be made up for.

Also, thanks CJ!
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Smile

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Talking

Polaris - Origins (Magnetos Other Daughter)!

Some social media goodness.

This was tweeted by Sam Clifford. It's inside the counter for the bar at The Baxter Arcade in Carrboro, North Carolina. Great show of both Lorna's value and how great that Steranko cover was.

Elana Levin tweeted this cosplay from FlameCon today. And obviously I don't know reasons behind the cosplayer cosplaying her, but I've seen quite a few people pushing for Lorna to be lesbian or bi, which I'd personally be all for.

Also, bonus pic: here's an idea for a font for a Polaris solo.

Something similar to this could work as a "60s throwback" font.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post

Nice CJ.

I do think Marvel publishing needs to streamline basic fundamentals about the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean for a romantic pairing, I meant like in a book together or on a squad.
    A premise could spinout of X-men Blue and have her dealing with the fallout of Mothervine. It was a global phenomen and while her interim team did their best to neutralize it, people died and cities were damaged by the unexpected activation of mutant abilities. It also has stirred up hostility towards mutants bc of this. I dont know what the story would be but it would entail Lorna being more of a an aggressive force that fights for the protection and safety of these new mutants. I'd envision Uniscione with her along with Vanisher (teleporter), Monet (feeling the need to redeem herself), Avalanche (Id bring back the original). In the climax, she'd come into conflict with Jean's Red team which opposes her aggressive tactics in favor of their more passive ones. They however end up teaming up together against several sentinels that have been deployed by an anti-mutant ambassadors to track a young mutant whose powers were activated by Mothervine and decimated a village. The sentinels were sent to kill him bc his powers are out of control and he's unintentionally killed hundreds. The teams protect the boy and defeat the the sentinels but they give him a choice and he chooses to walk away with Lorna

The final scene would have her give a speech to a crowd of mutants, we've seen over the course of the mini, whom chant her name as their champion. She walks away to a private room where she toasts champagne with Emma Frost, whom she's given asylum to. The final shot would be of a sign that reads Genosha, implying that that is where they are and she's rebuilding it to lead.

I think something like this would give her a chance to lead again, give her strong motivation and characterization and position her in a solid spot to act as an antagonist in future books. She wouldnt be a villian bc she has the best intentions but doesnt agree with taking a peaceful and passive approach to get results. A good writer would really need to capture the anger and passion that she has in The Gifted to sell it. If it sells well, it also sets up a future mini or ongoing that centers around her team and/or as Queen of Genosha
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-18-2018 at 10:28 PM.

A premise could spinout of X-men Blue and have her dealing with the fallout of Mothervine. It was a global phenomen and while her interim team did their best to neutralize it, people died and cities were damaged by the unexpected activation of mutant abilities. It also has stirred up hostility towards mutants bc of this. I dont know what the story would be but it would entail Lorna being more of a an aggressive force that fights for the protection and safety of these new mutants. I'd envision Uniscione with her along with Vanisher (teleporter), Monet (feeling the need to redeem herself), Avalanche (Id bring back the original). In the climax, she'd come into conflict with Jean's Red team which opposes her aggressive tactics in favor of their more passive ones. They however end up teaming up together against several sentinels that have been deployed by an anti-mutant ambassadors to track a young mutant whose powers were activated by Mothervine and decimated a village. The sentinels were sent to kill him bc his powers are out of control and he's unintentionally killed hundreds. The teams protect the boy and defeat the the sentinels but they give him a choice and he chooses to walk away with Lorna

The final scene would have her give a speech to a crowd of mutants, we've seen over the course of the mini, whom chant her name as their champion. She walks away to a private room where she toasts champagne with Emma Frost, whom she's given asylum to. The final shot would be of a sign that reads Genosha, implying that that is where they are and she's rebuilding it to lead.

I think something like this would give her a chance to lead again, give her strong motivation and characterization and position her in a solid spot to act as an antagonist in future books. She wouldnt be a villian bc she has the best intentions but doesnt agree with taking a peaceful and passive approach to get results. A good writer would really need to capture the anger and passion that she has in The Gifted to sell it. If it sells well, it also sets up a future mini or ongoing that centers around her team and/or as Queen of Genosha
    I like and agree with most of this post. Minor differences of course, and I'd still say solo for Lorna moreso than team leadership, but it's good overall.

For team comp, I'd say that's good if Marvel is properly supporting and promoting the book. If Marvel's not, then it definitely needs one or two more "popular" characters in it.

I really like the idea of Lorna and Jean's teams coming head to head. It has strong echoes of Magneto vs Xavier philosophy, but their strongest proponents not being so rigid that they can't come to terms and find a middle with each other working together. Sort of a "next generation does what the previous failed to do" ring to it. Also, of course, building to Lorna rebuilding and leading Genosha remains good. I'd also personally say "capture the anger and passion she has that Gifted took inspiration from." It sounds like splitting hairs, but I think it's important to emphasize that Lorna's great qualities come from her development and who she is that all came before the show.

That sounds incredibly awesome

OBEY

esteicy-blog on Tumblr and I have some great moments, and one he just had was one of his tags: "Alex Summers stay away from Lorna challenge."

And I just really, really love the idea of that. It's a challenge. "Can Havok stay the hell away from Lorna? Are the writers capable of letting Lorna do things without him? Or is that challenge just too hard for them to complete? How long will they last!" It's like its own mini-Bechdel test.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.