Page 45 of 109 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    don't think it's "Obvious" Reeva has to be overcome by Lorna in the show BTW... we simply don't know enough yet to assert that. and I hope it's not the case (because I want to root for both of them).
    It couldn't be any more obvious then if one got hit in the head with a sledgehammer that the conflict with Reeva and Lorna will come to a head. But, overcome can mean separate things, from take over to build her own set of views and power base and basically turn the Inner Circle back into the Hellfire Club... or fight with Reeva and run back to the Mutant Underground with Esme and Andy.

They have set up Reeva and the baby as the force separating Eclaris and 'true love' that must be overcome, but the baby, romantic soap and Lorna the backseat driver could honestly utterly kill the season for Lorna's character. When I say backseat driver, think Catlin season 1. My suspicion is the show will wuss out on the ideological divide and go for straight Reeva and her minions vs the MU, but I certainly hope it doesn't and can manage three sets of views.

The early reviews are coming out for the first episode.

http://themarvelreport.com/2018/09/t...ason-2-review/

I am simply gobsmacked and SHOCKED that there are NO plans for Lorna at all. That's just NUTS. Makes no sense.

How do you even explain that?

Is it really just a case of their current writers not being sufficiently interested?

Or... is it more about higher-up strategizing, and trying to stray away from moral ambiguity/cutting political commentary?
    Lorna will be in 90s cameo queen role various places its seems.

They know they are treating her differently then other comparable hit characters on Marvel television, but those come with standing orders to promote from on high. Regardless ideas with the character will develop without them.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.

BANNED

There was a distinction made in his comments though, wherein he states, and I'm paraphrasing a bit but "... clearly we are not as interested, as you are, or she'd have her own solo."

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that last night too lol. Baby Polaris is better than no Polaris I suppose.

I think its too early to say Lorna won't be used anywhere, but like I said, it was disappointing that no one in X-Office is really keen on using her. I've been getting more and more agitated that Marvel canceled All New X-Factor. The first chance Lorna really got to break free from the usual story lines, and they cancel it. Who knows when she'll ever get that chance again.
    The decision to retcon Wanda and Quicksilver's backstory thus undermining much of the story of ANXF and kill off the series at the same time was no accident.

It was the first chance yes for Lorna to break free from the same repetitive story lines. Mistakes were made in the first half the series, but sales didn't warrant cancellation and had stabilized at a level well above many titles. Lorna had no mutant rights philosophy in ANXF, but she had some of her early 2000s edge and would pull the trigger on foes if she felt she had to. The decision to take away right after says a great deal.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

He didn't say solo, but her own book. I'm not sure what's meant by that though. Does he mean solo book, or a team book lead by Polaris? While I'd love to see Lorna get a mini, I didn't expect anything of the sort if I'm being honest. But like I said, I just found it sad that no one in the current X-Office seems to be much of a fan of Lorna. They may like the character, but I don't think any of them have the drive to tell a story with her. Like jmc said, Lorna might just be popping up here and there without any steady use.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of Lorna getting cameo/supporting roles, and it sounds like that's what she'll be getting for the time being. If someone uses her at all.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 09-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.

BANNED

Either way, it being a Polaris centric/focused book was implied. And she might/probably just be used sparingly, here & there, but I'm not ready to give up the ghost just yet. They've taken to keeping their cards closer to the vest these days, it seems.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Either way, it being a Polaris centric/focused book was implied. And she might/probably just be used sparingly, here & there, but I'm not ready to give up the ghost just yet. They've taken to keeping their cards closer to the vest these days, it seems.
    Do you think Claremont might sneak her into XMEN BLACK?

Ever since someone here speculated about that I've gotten super excited over the idea.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

He didn't say solo, but her own book. I'm not sure what's meant by that though. Does he mean solo book, or a team book lead by Polaris? While I'd love to see Lorna get a mini, I didn't expect anything of the sort if I'm being honest. But like I said, I just found it sad that no one in the current X-Office seems to be much of a fan of Lorna. They may like the character, but I don't think any of them have the drive to tell a story with her. Like jmc said, Lorna might just be popping up here and there without any steady use.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of Lorna getting cameo/supporting roles, and it sounds like that's what she'll be getting for the time being. If someone uses her at all.
    Agreed.

There is a reason why I argued for the Jean/Lorna simmering divide not full scale conflict which would allow Lorna to be a cameo queen of sorts while still having an interesting story line that draws in readers and builds towards something in the long term and lets her own Marvel.com summary of her relationship with the mutant community actually be true as right now its not. It would also allow her to build the outline of relationships which would pay off later.

Otherwise its Lorna appearing as the green haired hero for the assist here and there with a blast before flying off or look baby Polaris appears isn't it cute. These things are nice, but they don't build towards anything nor do they create new fans of a character. They are in the end breadcrumbs for existing fans.

If they do a philosophically interesting Lorna that slowly builds towards something I can take Lorna who doesn't regularly appear on an ongoing, but a Lorna with no edge or mutant rights views has no rudder to steer with nor anything to build towards other then on and off romantic relationship drama.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 11:14 AM.

New promo for The Gifted season 2 in comic book style. I have to take my hat off to the promotional department.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09...er-marvel-fox/

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It couldn't be any more obvious then if one got hit in the head with a sledgehammer that the conflict with Reeva and Lorna will come to a head. But, overcome can mean separate things, from take over to build her own set of views and power base and basically turn the Inner Circle back into the Hellfire Club... or fight with Reeva and run back to the Mutant Underground with Esme and Andy.

They have set up Reeva and the baby as the force separating Eclaris and 'true love' that must be overcome, but the baby, romantic soap and Lorna the backseat driver could honestly utterly kill the season for Lorna's character. When I say backseat driver, think Catlin season 1. My suspicion is the show will wuss out on the ideological divide and go for straight Reeva and her minions vs the MU, but I certainly hope it doesn't and can manage three sets of views.
    The way I see it, Polaris and Reeva can clash or have disagreements but still fundamentally believe in and want the same stuff...

Similarly to Polaris working alongside Cuckoos despite disliking aspects of them

Otherwise it makes the entire premise of season 2 pointless and undoes a ton of season 1 re: Lorna

THe show isn't that stupid

New promo for The Gifted season 2 in comic book style. I have to take my hat off to the promotional department.

That is really cool for sure. Love the way they rendered several of the characters and the poses chosen notably Polaris, Lauren, Frosts, and Reeva. Blink's looked a tad off. Thunderbird got his nice "X" behind him good for him
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 09-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The way I see it, Polaris and Reeva can clash or have disagreements but still fundamentally believe in and want the same stuff...

Similarly to Polaris working alongside Cuckoos despite disliking aspects of them

Otherwise it makes the entire premise of season 2 pointless and undoes a ton of season 1 re: Lorna

THe show isn't that stupid
    It depends on how ones sees Lorna's actions in season 1. Do they view that as her being her father... which I don't believe it was and there are some very good articles showing how much she was her own character I can direct one to... but is any set of views outside of Xavier's in the end viewed by the writers as being defined by their 'bad' relatives and something Lorna and Esme must overcome?

That Blink speech to Lorna and the whole, I helped the Brotherhood for two minutes without realizing it and then shunned them and I won't let my bad and evil relatives define me so I will do the opposite of them.... was that the authors speaking through the character?

If so that means Reeva in the end will be a bastardized Emma Frost/Magneto combo stand in Esme and Lorna have to overcome. But, by the same token even if they must overcome Reeva are the writers going to set out a clear set of views that aren't the Underground for Lorna and Esme or make things binary Reeva or the MU?

I know what your hope is and you know what mine is, but at the end of the day we don't know what they will do.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 11:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Do you think Claremont might sneak her into XMEN BLACK?

Ever since someone here speculated about that I've gotten super excited over the idea.
    It's always possible, and I'd definitely be interested to see how he'd handle her, today. But unfortunately, I'm more doubtful than not, that it will actually come to pass.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Always love your optimism, HA. Maybe they're still planning things, and Lorna can included somewhere.

BANNED

Ooh, cool! Really liked the characters' drawn depictions, Polaris' in particular, of course. Reeva's stood out to me, too.

BANNED

Always love your optimism, HA. Maybe they're still planning things, and Lorna can included somewhere.
    It's easier some days than others, that's for sure, lol. But it's like with Uncanny, where to me they're being uncharacteristically vague as hell, right down to the wire. Not just the comics tho either, but in other areas too, like with Dark PhoeniX & even The Gifted. Seems like they're keepin' mum, right up until the last minute. Mind you, I think that's a better strategy, than hyping the hell out of something 6 months out. I mean, eXcitement's bound to die down, by the time whatever actually hits. It's like premature ejaculation to the nth degree, lol.

Curiosity Magneto in 1991; Lorna in gifted 3 years old