Page 46 of 109 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    There's no Nightcrawler, either.
    Except Nightcrawler's been on Gold, and he's on multiple covers for multiple coming titles. It's different when a character isn't seen in anything and not on this either.

JDW did spend a lot of time talking to me about it last night, which I appreciate. I know he didn't have to do that.

There were things I said, and things I didn't say, based on whether or not I felt it would be appropriate or worthwhile to bring up.

One thing I didn't bring up: while JDW says "none of our writers want to write her," that's not a good enough reason for her not to be in anything. If nobody was willing to write Iron Man, would they keep Iron Man out of comics until someone came along that's willing to write him, even if it took 10 years? Back in the 90s, Peter David didn't want to write Polaris, and he ended up writing her multiple times and giving her origin story. Writers don't always want to write a character, but if they don't have some personal hate-on for the character, then they should be fully capable of figuring out the character's good qualities and bringing them out for show. Good writers become very close to their characters as they get to know them.

There's also simply the matter of when Gail Simone said Lorna would be a "hard sell" for a solo - making it very clear that there's something more going on than simply "writers don't wanna do it." A writer doesn't say something like that unless they're given a reason.

Another thing I didn't bring up: Lorna not being in coming stories is no excuse for her to be excluded from things that simply show off the X-Men franchise, like that print yesterday. She's an important part of X-Men history. Decades of not getting her due only exacerbates the need for her inclusion because she's gone way too long and way too often without.

I knew each of those points had a high chance of triggering a defensive reflex. They could be perceived as attacks on his duties as editor. Once a person gets defensive, they're more focused on justifying themselves than on thinking about the situation presented and why it's seen as a problem. So I refrained from making those points to him.

I think JDW understands there's interest. He said Lorna's a great character, and he said he was involved in X-Factor #243.

What I think he's missing is that there's a lot more interest in Lorna, and it's a lot deeper and fuller, than he realizes. He compared her situation to Armless Tiger Man - which misses everything unique to Lorna's situation. How she's the second female X-Men member to join. How she was originally more feminist than Jean, before later writers ruined her, paving the way for Storm, Rogue, and even Jean herself later on. How she's gone through a lot of hellish things that never actually got addressed in any real capacity. How she's way too often treated like a supporting character for the stories of others, especially men, ESPECIALLY Havok.

He also presented how little people tweet at him about Lorna as a gauge for level of interest... which is a very poor indicator. Most Lorna fans aren't tweeting at Marvel people. They're posting out in the open, or with other fans. I've seen quite a few cases of people saying Lorna is horribly underappreciated and criminally underused, but you have to actually look for tweets to see them. If I went by just what people tweet at me, I'd think there are only 2 or 3 Polaris fans in the whole world. Hell, the only reason I tweeted at him is because I'm increasingly reaching a point where I know I have nothing to lose. Commissions are the only place I'm getting any Lorna now, and it's not like they can steal my money to stop me from doing it.

Lorna may not be blacklisted in the consciously deliberate and formalized sense. But in actual form and function, I still say and think she is. At least one veteran writer thinks Marvel leans hard toward not accepting pitches for a solo book for her compared to any other female X-Men character. There are no plans for her after wherever she shows up in Uncanny. She's left off things about the franchise. If you have all the symptoms of an illness, it's absurd to say you're not sick.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Nightcrawler isn't on the short list of must promote X-Men. He sometimes does get promoted because he was part of a run deemed iconic, but when the MCU reboots I doubt he will be included or at least not right away. There is the short list of core x-characters who matter to Marvel and then there is who writers and artists like. Sideshow's art prints this year pretty much got down to the core lists.
    I would buy that except it includes Domino, Thunderbird (John), Doop and Toad and you cant tell me they are on a shortlist to promote the X-men, especially over Nightcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I would buy that except it includes Domino, Thunderbird (John), Doop and Toad and you cant tell me they are on a shortlist to promote the X-men, especially over Nightcrawler
    I did not say that only characters there are on the short list. My point was it has short list characters and some of the artists favorites (as happens in the comics with writers).

I am on your side in regards to the blacklist question.

Lorna does have a big problem with writers that don’t get the character in the least on why she matters or even her base views hence part of her problem, but it’s also true Storm will be appearing somewhere if writers want to write her or not.

Anyway Nix interview.

He hits the right notes, but we will see how the music ends up in the wash.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Is it just me or does the Underground face thing actually look WAY more "evil"?
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Except Nightcrawler's been on Gold, and he's on multiple covers for multiple coming titles. It's different when a character isn't seen in anything and not on this either. ...
    And Lorna's been in Blue, which at least has been better received (online anyway), and featured on multiple covers for it. He's been shown on just one cover of Uncanny so far, which looks to be the only mainline title left soon enough, and she's been said to be part of as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Banshee & Bishop weren't included, either. Neither were X-23, Magik, or Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... Anyway Nix interview.

He hits the right notes...
    Yeah, that was a good read, and encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Is it just me or does the Underground face thing actually look WAY more "evil"?
    Nope, it's not just you.

new version

And Lorna's been in Blue, which at least has been better received (online anyway), and featured on multiple covers for it. He's been shown on just one cover of Uncanny so far, which looks to be the only mainline title left soon enough, and she's been said to be part of as well.
    She was used as a supporting character for stories of mainly Havok and a little Magneto. And only for few arcs here and there. Not a main member. Doesn't count.

Nightcrawler is on covers for Uncanny, Return of Wolverine, and Typhoid Fever. Meaning he's on not one, but three upcoming stories, at minimum.

Banshee & Bishop weren't included, either. Neither were X-23, Magik, or Rachel.
    Bishop, X-23, Magik and Rachel either have been in recent work in prominent ways or will be in the future, if I remember correctly. The only one I don't recall is Banshee, but that just means Banshee should be there too given his history.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    She was used as a supporting character for stories of mainly Havok and a little Magneto. And only for few arcs here and there. Not a main member. Doesn't count.

Nightcrawler is on covers for Uncanny, Return of Wolverine, and Typhoid Fever. Meaning he's on not one, but three upcoming stories, at minimum.

Bishop, X-23, Magik and Rachel either have been in recent work in prominent ways or will be in the future, if I remember correctly. The only one I don't recall is Banshee, but that just means Banshee should be there too given his history.
    Much of this is only your own opinion, the last bit especially. Just because you didn't like it =/= it doesn't count. Her most prominent participation was in MotherVine, the best-received arc of Blue. And with little doubt, certainly much better than anything in Gold.

I said mainline title, so RoW & TF weren't even on my radar, but my bad. The 2nd is a real outlier tho, and of questionable significance. If she were on it, you'd probably be complaining about that.

You keep talking about 2 different things, as if one makes the other OK. Point being IMO, you're always going to find fault, no matter what.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-21-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Yeah, that was a good read, and encouraging.
    I think the hinge of the season with the baby drama soaking up so much of the season will come for the character down to if she really loves the cause and if changing things actually is her cause or just a manipulation by Reeva akin to Lorna's Heaven Saga in the 90s only expanded.

Marvel.com: Is it safe to say we might see some characters questioning which side they’ve chosen this season?

Matt Nix: It was really important to me, because we talked about a lot of versions of it, but it’s not an accident that Polaris has doubts. Polaris is worried that Reeva is cynical and that Reeva doesn’t care about her and Reeva doesn’t care about the thing she says she cares about.

Polaris loves Eclipse, but she also loves this [cause] and she’s making a new world and it’s a new world for Eclipse too. You see in some of the trailers the line, “I love you, but our baby needs more than love,” and that divide is much more interesting to me than, “I’ve joined the bad guys!”

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I'm reserving judgement but everything in season 1 and in pretty much all the actual promos released is positive

Literally the only things negative at all are Dumont's own comments pretty much

And you CAN interpret some of the early episode summaries negatively

Nix who is the showrunner, has very wise remarks on all of it as well

I'll just watch episodes with an open mind and hope for the best (i.e. complicated, and Lorna NOT running back to "Good")
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I'm reserving judgement but everything in season 1 and in pretty much all the actual promos released is positive
    AH, I know the promos have you pumped and I don't mean to rain on your hype. But, they are promos that is the point.

Ms. Samuels said more then Emma in regards to 'turning against the ethics of the Inner Circle', but we don't know exactly what that means. If it means what Nix said of questioning her intentions it’s very good news as far as I am concerned. I don’t mind her turning against Reeva’s idea for attaining a homeland, but turning against the dream of a homeland itself is a separate matter.

How they deal with the schism inside the Inner Circle itself will define the first half the season for me with Lorna benched other wise. The schism is already being talked about in interviews including this one
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-21-2018 at 07:52 PM.