Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1634
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I don't see how this book comes across as the lowest priority? It was announced the same day as the others, and features Bishop, who's playing a big role in Uncanny.

With Magneto being on the main X-squad, and Lorna being a prisoner, I wonder what happens that leads to her being incarcerated, and if their relationship will be referenced.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think its because current writers often reference older runs, when Polaris wasn't treated great, and use to it influence their perception of the character. CC's run, and the 90s (the eras most writers grew up with) really didn't do much with the character. I think The Gifted was able to bypass the terrible runs, and streamline the character without being influenced by older runs.
    Streamline is a good word as most of the ideas they utilized for Lorna are present in the comics, but one has to shift through mountains of depictions to get to stuff that is really meaty and can get fans interested in her story and interaction with other characters. The Gifted writers were able to do that because they were able to see outside the box normal comic fans and writers tend to be trapped in through no fault of their own simply on the basis of being nostalgic fans of certain eras... typically the 80s or 90s.

Lorna in 80s/90s form doesn't tend to produce much in the way of built in drama to be had with other characters. Its always nice to have characters fans enjoy fight together, but to build and maintain characters and relationships requires a boat load more then that. Without built in drama writers have to manufacture it to keep using the character if they want to and that historically led to manufactured drama through forced loved triangles and possessions to try to move things from point A to point B with Lorna and a very small handful of characters.

1960s Lorna had two hats her X-Men hat and her bad assed queen of mutants hat. Marvel publishing has long been conflicted about how exactly to modernize and streamline her original story. Bit by bit aspects of her original story returned, but how to put it into a package that produces self sustaining drama for Lorna the way her father is able to do remains elusive.

The Gifted translated 60s mutant royalty into first street level political mutant rights activist and now a step above that. The closest modern adaption to that was Genoshan rebel for a couple New X-Men and Uncanny issues.

Based on 80s/90s nostalgia Magneto has built in drama attached to him as the guy the X-Men aren't sure about trusting entirely who they have political disagreements with or worry might go to far in some way. For Lorna there is no drama to be had there which is why her she has a very tiny number of usual suspects for relationships and the rest end up being one hit wonder interaction that never goes anywhere nor gets followed up by future writers.

Comic Lorna in 80s/90s form doesn't have a coherent package for what she she brings to the table in say interacting constantly with Jean or Emma Frost... or Laura or really any character outside of family drama and romantic drama to interest comic writers or readers to want her included as a feature in their characters drama.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-17-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    how is possible that a tv show makes more justice to lorna than the comics?, for the comics is easyer since these are cartoons and you can write everything you want and make it increible, but live action is more hard because you cant to everything, marvel should use lorna in a big way and better.
    The short answer is that Marvel is beholden to nostalgia. They decide who deserves use based on nostalgia, they decide what scenarios a character would fit in based on nostalgia, and whether may not realize it, they ultimately decide who they hire based on nostalgia. The desire to maintain a particular office culture means hiring like-minded people. Not people that will cause you to rethink your attitude toward a particular character or storyline.

Of course, nostalgia here means nostalgia for how Claremont wrote the X-Men and things that came after. Not nostalgia for how a character was meant to be when they were first created, or what's possible with said character.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Now that I see all the new books though it does seem like this is the "lowest priority" one in a way?

The "X-Tremist" book looks more interesting to me than this one to be perfectly honest...

But I hope this will be good, and I believe it CAN be. And I do like Lorna with Laura for sure. No real opinion on her with Bishop although it can work. Gabby Beast are : pukes : but I'll get over it.

Edit: Wait. That's not Laura. It's Dani Moonstar.

Hmmm

That... takes this down a bit...

But we'll see, it can still be good

I guess... it puts Gabby more important and maybe creates a more mentoring relationship between Lorna and her especially if they use a magnetic duo thing

I guess the theme of this squad is like "resilence/inner toughness"? Maybe? Still not sure I'd give those attributes to Gabby though. Or to Beast really. But the other 3 sure.

Maybe also ... "practical knowledge/street smarts" or something along those lines...? Idk
    I haven't paid much attention to what the X-office is planning to do given it's not worth my time to get invested in the weeds until Lorna gets what Havok got this year or better. That said, from what I've heard, my assumption is that all the other books are characters tricked into accepting a new alternate reality and the Prisoner X characters are ones that are still aware and have been neutralized to prevent them from changing things back.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Prisoner X - Woman confirmed as Polaris? I didn't see a summary info on it.

Jordan White and Vita Ayala (the writer) have confirmed its Polaris.

I don't see how this book comes across as the lowest priority? It was announced the same day as the others, and features Bishop, who's playing a big role in Uncanny.

With Magneto being on the main X-squad, and Lorna being a prisoner, I wonder what happens that leads to her being incarcerated, and if their relationship will be referenced.
    It doesn't seem any lower priority to me then any other save what seems to be the lead Age of X-Man title with the core team.

I imagine Gandalfneto the Horseman of Salvation will show up in Uncanny first and offer salvation for all true believers in Nate Grey or something along those lines. They will probably play up the Angel Horseman of Salvation/Psylocke drama for a little bit and somewhat the Gandalfneto/Lorna drama.

Then the reality warp happens. In terms of the prisoners I haven't been keeping up with some of the others, but it smells like a possible team who in time may be used to bring certain others to their senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Yes it is.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Jordan

https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...47523237855236

Ok interesting thank you. Something new to look forward to in the coming months. I would have preferred another HoM title.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

At least if they can build their relationship in an AU space I'll take it....

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The short answer is that Marvel is beholden to nostalgia. They decide who deserves use based on nostalgia, they decide what scenarios a character would fit in based on nostalgia, and whether may not realize it, they ultimately decide who they hire based on nostalgia. The desire to maintain a particular office culture means hiring like-minded people. Not people that will cause you to rethink your attitude toward a particular character or storyline.

Of course, nostalgia here means nostalgia for how Claremont wrote the X-Men and things that came after. Not nostalgia for how a character was meant to be when they were first created, or what's possible with said character.

I haven't paid much attention to what the X-office is planning to do given it's not worth my time to get invested in the weeds until Lorna gets what Havok got this year or better. That said, from what I've heard, my assumption is that all the other books are characters tricked into accepting a new alternate reality and the Prisoner X characters are ones that are still aware and have been neutralized to prevent them from changing things back.
    Oh ok. Then I guess that's good, our gal still has her wits about her.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Oh ok. Then I guess that's good, our gal still has her wits about her.
    Keep in mind this is all just speculation and educated guesses on my part with what I know. It makes the most sense to me when considering the scenario proposed and what all the other characters are doing by comparison.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    The only two things I end up wondering from this pic are 1) is it from this year, and 2) is it from the set of the show.

I tried reverse image search and got nothing. I'm assuming it's from last year given the hair.

I'm pretty sure its from last year. You can vaguely see the suit she is wearing, and what I'm assuming are the other cast members in the back wearing something similar. I can't find an image featuring all of them unfortunately.

Some of the pictures going around are her birthday last year yes. Today the wrap party for filming is going on.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.