Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post

As much fun as it would be to keep doing these posts for the next hundred pages, I've said everything I need to say for now. Won't respond to the next set. Though I will give one piece of advice: if you don't want me to say more of something you don't like, don't put me into a position where I have to say more of it. Like, for example, prodding me to say more about the problems I have with Blue when I already volunteered not to do so.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Just tryin' to provide some levity, to no avail, it seems. But whatever you do, is on you. I can only control my own actions, not how others react to them. Or overreact, such as it were. Life's too short to be so serious, and laughter's usually a good remedy, for morosity. IDK, lighten up, maybe... jeez.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by Magickmarker
    I find it intriguing how the version of Lorna here seems to be somewhat of a synthesis with her more rough/militant portrayal on the show

Like it is beginning to creep into pop culture views of her as an overall character

I understand this is of concern to some who want to view her as a pristine do gooder who stays within the acceptable boundaries

And it can be almost a sort of whiplash since it is pretty different compared to her typical conventional portrayals of late

But I appreciate it, at least it's somewhat different and interesting.

Likewise the image of the 3 Magneto children embracing, they seemed pleased with one another but also fairly somber or sober at the same time, which befits them I think

By the way salarta have you seen this fic: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13...pters/31779843

I think you'll like it, it explicitly goes into details about Lorna's mutation and how it can be used in a more expanded way, it's basically a worshipful work towards her pretty much (and don't worry it's not overtly tied in to the TV show)
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 08-13-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Just tryin' to provide some levity, to no avail, it seems. But whatever you do, is on you. I can only control my own actions, not how others react to them. Or overreact, such as it were. Life's too short to be so serious, and laughter's usually a good remedy, for morosity. IDK, lighten up, maybe... jeez.
    I would've thought the gifs were meant in good fun and responded to them that way, but after things like this (emphasis mine)...

I don't really know what to say, as I'm having a hard time relating to the vitriol, TBH. It strikes me as being hyperbolic and quite frankly, irrational, on many levels.
    Please try to focus on what they've done right, as opposed to what so often gets hashed over here, which is what they've subjectively done wrong.
    they came off differently for me without clear signs (like smiley faces) that they're meant in fun. I'd have said this (and maybe more) via PM, but you have PMs off, so I had to quickly say this here. Since you said they were meant in fun, I'll trust good intentions and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I find it intriguing how the version of Lorna here seems to be somewhat of a synthesis with her more rough/militant portrayal on the show

Like it is beginning to creep into pop culture views of her as an overall character

I understand this is of concern to some who want to view her as a pristine do gooder who stays within the acceptable boundaries

And it can be almost a sort of whiplash since it is pretty different compared to her typical conventional portrayals of late

But I appreciate it, at least it's somewhat different and interesting.
    This is an interesting observation. Given Lorna's history, I can see part of her appeal being "Will this be the time she goes over the edge?" in response to major traumas pushed on her. Sort of a cat and mouse game where she comes close but never quite gets there. I think that's why a lot of people remember Lorna in the wedding issues so well. It was a moment of her on the brink.

By the way salarta have you seen this fic: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13...pters/31779843

I think you'll like it, it explicitly goes into details about Lorna's mutation and how it can be used in a more expanded way, it's basically a worshipful work towards her pretty much (and don't worry it's not overtly tied in to the TV show)
    Thanks! I might check it out, but I'm pretty terrible when it comes to actually reading Lorna fics (it's one of my self-shames that I don't). An anon also sent me an Ask on Tumblr where they told me about this fic they read a couple years ago set after Lorna was left at the altar, how she gets over her bad relationship with Havok and how almost everyone had ignored her, eventually getting together with Nightcrawler. I'm kinda keeping an eye out for that one (haven't done any deep looks as of yet).

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

BTW I just updated my own fic, newest chapter is fairly Lorna centric (and yes it's based in the TV show universe)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/13836762

It might come off as sort of over the top or edgy maybe. I'm having a hard time with that but that's just what excites me I guess

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    ... Since you said they were meant in fun, I'll trust good intentions and leave it at that. ...
    All good as far as I'm concerned, as well.

The thread title changed. What happened? It's generic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    They did it to all the appreciation threads. It does suck. I'm not entirely sure why they did it? I guess just for "clarity"? Shrug

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    They did it to all the appreciation threads. It does suck. I'm not entirely sure why they did it? I guess just for "clarity"? Shrug
    I'm guessing a few different reasons.

• Unique thread titles "color" the text, giving some characters an "unfair advantage" over others
    • Fans can be snipey about who gets to be called what; e.g. Queen of Mutants came from Lorna's original storyline, but someone might think it should go to Jean for being the most prominent X-Woman
    • In theory, it might be easier to identify an appreciation thread by consistent formatting

Doesn't change that the change sucks, but I can see reasons for it.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    This costume is timeless. You can see why it inspires Lorna's current look, and influences redesigns by other artists. Thanks, CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Prison Lorna really made an impact on people. A badass even when locked up, so I don't blame them. Love seeing fanart of Emma, and these both in particular are really well done. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 08-14-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Time for something fun.

A year or two ago, I made a "Polaris soundtrack," something several other fans have also done. Since then, every so often, I post vids of songs elsewhere that feel very Lorna to me.

So here's the fun: what songs do you hear and feel like it's a great musical representation of Lorna?

For me tonight, it's "Control" by Poe.

A few choice lyrics and thoughts.

Don't you mess with a little girl's dream
    Cause she's liable to grow up mean
    I feel like this has a double meaning of how Mastermind altered her memories, but also that her history of being messed with so much has built toward her being darker and more ruthless at times.

Well, you may be king for the moment
    But I am a queen, understand?
    And I've got your pawns and your bishops
    And castles all inside the palm of my hand
    Goes back to her title of Queen of Mutants in her original storyline, but also gets at the idea that for any awfulness and poor treatment she's undergone and will go through, she will forever be that queen and will show it sooner or later.

While you were licking your lips
    'Cause I was miserable
    While you were selling your soul
    While you were tearing a hole in me

I was taking control
    This bit just makes me feel like everyone who looked down on her, enjoyed her suffering, sought to destroy her, underestimated just how powerful and resilient she really is. With something extra that has yet to happen with Lorna - exploiting people underestimating her to her advantage.

There are other bits too, but the bits above are what I like most in the song.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Another song! From Halestorm's new album that just came out on July 27.

Halestorm is the band that also made Mz Hyde and Daughters of Darkness, the latter of which has been raised for Lorna and Wanda.

This song makes me think of Lorna's history with Malice, and a reimagined idea of Malice used to show sides of Lorna that she wasn't showing before (instead of how Malice was used at the time with no real insight into Lorna herself).

BANNED