Page 64 of 109 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Do we know that the students even agreed to go to the school, I remember that she offered it to them but I didn't think that their reaction was very positive...anyway the X-mansion is routinely destroyed and the students that Lorna would have would have other places to go...and I'm not sure that the other writers would care enough about any school that Lorna had in Madripoor, maybe thinking it easier to just get rid of it...and would future writers view her as a teacher either...
    All very valid questions/points. I'm not wedded to the concept myself but I do want something new or different for her and not just "go back to being Havok's arm candy, dress in stereotypically all green princess outfit, fade into the background as a loyal member of X-Men". Anything except that I am ok with
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Ultimate Member

I highly doubt that if she and Alex were to get back together in the near future that she'd just be "arm candy", I never liked the all green look for her, but the X-Men are not the same as they were when she was last with them so that's not an easy answer...

BANNED

Do we know that the students even agreed to go to the school, I remember that she offered it to them but I didn't think that their reaction was very positive...anyway the X-mansion is routinely destroyed and the students that Lorna would have would have other places to go...and I'm not sure that the other writers would care enough about any school that Lorna had in Madripoor, maybe thinking it easier to just get rid of it...and would future writers view her as a teacher either...
    Only the Raksha have been eXplicitly shown as being approached so far:

... wherein it was implied in additional panels thereafter, with Danger's not taking no for an answer response, that they did indeed reluctantly oblige.

Your neXt two points are largely dependent on the events of Disassembled, and if/how it effects the status quo, with possible changes to normal procedure both in & out of story.

I did not get the impression that academics would be at the forefront of Polaris' new guidance center. Think less teacher:

... and more drill instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ... I'm not wedded to the concept myself but I do want something new or different for her...
    I see it as potentially being a stepping stone, to fulfilling a larger, more influential purpose & role within the X-Men/Mutant community, and as a result... eventually the MU itself...

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 10-16-2018 at 05:20 AM.

If Lorna's running a school, the school getting attacked is something you WANT to happen as a reader. The school is actually getting used. Whether it's good or bad that it gets destroyed, if it does, depends on how it's handled and plans for the characters afterward. Same as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Plus yeah the vision of Lorna I got off that image is NOT like a morally conflicted grey character but more a "demoness" of sorts, almost "possessed" somehow
    It's interesting to consider that the trio was called The Hysteries in that storyline, and what that implies on how these women have been presented for their past storylines in connection to the fact they're women.

I highly doubt that if she and Alex were to get back together in the near future that she'd just be "arm candy"
    If Marvel forces Lorna into interacting with Havok, then eventually forcing her into the role of his arm candy is guaranteed. The only question is how long it'd take before it happens. The only reasons it didn't happen with Blue are a) it didn't go on long enough, and b) there was a plan for Havok post-Blue that involved him leading a team that has Dazzler as the token woman instead of Lorna.
    Last edited by salarta; 10-16-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

I don't think that you can guarantee either way about how Lorna would or would not be portrayed if/when she and Alex get back together, it's possible sure, however it's equally and probably far more possible that she'd be portrayed better...Alex in Astonishing is good not because Marvel is giving him a big push but because he's being written by a good writer that's writing him well, the book will probably end in the next few months anyway so it looks to be little more than a short mini, not a big push...

Who knows maybe the Astonishing writer wanted Lorna but Marvel and or Bunn said no...

As for Lorna going overboard with Alex's costume with the crying and all, Lorna it could be said is emotionally unstable, prone to extreme changes in her mood and emotions, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities that she'd go overboard if the love of her life died...not saying that I liked that bit with Lorna just saying that I can understand it...

The school getting attacked would just be Marvel following suit and giving a reason for Lorna to not be there, following suit with how much the original mansion got attacked and leveled...

And the X-Men that Lorna split from those months ago is far from the group that exists now and will exist in the near future...

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

If Marvel or Bunn said no to Lorna being in Astonishing, then I should send them a muffin basket. Don't need to see her get jobbed to Reavers or drawn by Land.

The reasoning behind the school getting attacked doesn't make sense. Its getting destroyed so Marvel doesn't have to included Polaris and the school? We already know Lorna will be popping up in Uncanny, and that's when we'll see if the school is acknowledged or not.

BANNED

... The school getting attacked would just be Marvel following suit and giving a reason for Lorna to not be there, following suit with how much the original mansion got attacked and leveled...

And the X-Men that Lorna split from those months ago is far from the group that exists now and will exist in the near future...
    Which makes it highly unoriginal, and why I don't care to see it. I mean, the main school JUST got attacked in Extermination. If it were to happen, calling it redundant would be an understatement.

I don't get your point with the last bit. How are the players of Disassembled that much different than those of PhoeniX Resurrection, say, or the more recent Mojo WW for that matter? The absence of the O5 hardly constitutes some major change, in story.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 10-17-2018 at 05:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    ... We already know Lorna will be popping up in Uncanny, and that's when we'll see if the school is acknowledged or not.
    I tried to tell him...

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... either way, we should have more of an idea, soon enough.
    ... but he's stubborn.

Ultimate Member

I was more meaning the group of X-Men that were in charge when Lorna was with them in a capacity more than just a guest star, I meant that if the school was destroyed then that could explain why Lorna was in the books and not cast off into limbo...the school being destroyed may be a bit redundant, though it hasn't stopped the main one from being destroyed over and over again now has it, and anything that Lorna has is on not nearly as sturdy of ground as that, I don't see many other writers striving to use the Raksha or whatever their names are in their books...

I'm not the only stubborn one Heroine...

BANNED

... I meant that if the school was destroyed then that could explain why Lorna was in the books and not cast off into limbo... I don't see many other writers striving to use the Raksha or whatever their names are in their books...
    One =/= the other, necessarily. And the book, you mean, as Uncanny will soon be the only option.

Re. the Raksha, nobody's suggested it but you.

There's no real issue with an "attack on the school/HQ" scenario in and of itself. The main area of concern is making sure it has some kind of actual value that isn't merely a copy of what's been done already countless times. It can't just be fending off an attack. It has to be something deeper and more meaningful. Deep insight into characters. Larger themes that draw interest. Things like that.

The failings of ANXF and the Malice segment of Blue were that they didn't make a real effort to explore what's possible in their respective situations. For what's there, ANXF was pretty much the same as any other team out there, but it could've been a modernized setting that revolutionized how team books function. We're living in a high-tech world rife with technological issues like IoT, privacy breaches, effects of automation, etc, but all of Marvel tends to act like everyone's living in the 90s or earlier with a couple neat doodads like cell phones thrown in. Meanwhile, the Malice segment of Blue could have explored what Lorna thinks and feels that she hides from the world, how the world perceives her by what Malice exploits and reaction to what Malice does, etc. Instead it was just a tiny rushed footnote in the story of Havok.

The key isn't really if something's been done before, but how it's done. Can an attack on a school/HQ come off substantially unique and interesting? If so, how? What would make it a story worth telling?

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Ultimate Member

Just saying that outside of Blue is that school even going to be mentioned, who knows maybe they'll just have Lorna say that the kids turned her down and so they shut it down or turned it into something else...I brought up the Raksha because they were the people that Lorna asked to become students...and they seemed to have said no to her...

BANNED

I'd rather time, energy, and resources be put into creating actual concepts that are more compellingly original in nature, as opposed to doing the same for the details of well-worn, recently done back-to-back, clichéd ones.

Polaris, X-Men Blue #36:
    We've rebuilt the mansion here in Madripoor. ...
    Repetition = lame, and boredom for me, no matter how you dress it up. Artistic merit needs to rely on more than just doing a riff on the same old theme(s), and/or covering somebody else's song, as it were. Convention is the antithesis to innovation, after all, and there's no disputing that. It's a thankless task and I would argue a losing battle, trying to get people to care about how something is done, when they already don't care about what's being done.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 10-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.

BANNED

Some more cosplay of the sisters:

by avansia

both by jisyakuumao