Page 1 of 109 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Lorna Dane: Polaris Appreciation 2018

"Now I understand the strange stirrings within me that tortured my soul almost from my first conscious moment! For, my father's blood, though unknown to me, could not be silenced!"

Welcome to the Polaris Appreciation Thread! This thread has gone through multiple iterations, the most recent of which was closed as part of an experiment to see if closing large threads would resolve server load issues. Apparently, Polaris' popularity has grown so much that it's taxing the board!

As you get to know Lorna and check out the thread, there is one very important thing for you to know: this year is Lorna's 50th anniversary!

Lorna was created in October 1968, with her first appearance in X-Men #49. If you're new to this thread, please join in celebrating this major chronological milestone for one of the best underappreciated mutants in the Marvel universe.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-05-2018 at 05:03 PM.

All hail the queen indeed.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Default salarta's suggested reading list for Polaris

This is my suggested reading list. Please note this list is entirely subjective and not a definitive, comprehensive list by any means.

These two issues are Polaris' introductory issues from 1968. The image in my first post comes from #50. In these issues, we get a sense of Lorna as a young latent mutant whose powers are (re)awakened with a device by Mesmero. Fun fact: we learn Lorna was dyeing her hair brown to "avoid attracting the curious." These two issues are very important to understanding how Lorna entered into the Marvel/X-Men mythos and the foundation that all else about her grew out from.

New X-Men #132

I'm skipping decades of storylines (Malice, Zaladane, X-Factor) in making this suggestion. I feel everything else prior either treated her poorly or wasn't very interesting. Other people may feel otherwise, which is why it's worth it to check their suggestions.

In New X-Men #132, we see Lorna in the aftermath of an attack that decimated the mutant island nation of Genosha that was run by her father Magneto. She survived where millions of others did not, and she suffered in the wreckage hearing their voices ("recorded" with her powers) until the X-Men came and pulled her out. This whole story does an excellent job of showing the weight of what Lorna went through - and why it should never be ignored or forgotten.

Uncanny X-Men #425-426

I suggest these two issues not for importance or even necessarily good writing (there are some problems), but more for imagery and how threatening and dangerous Lorna can be. It's a good example of a story serving her point of view, and using her connection to her father Magneto to serve her development instead of the other way around.

Uncanny X-Men #431

Lorna shows Professor X (and Nurse Annie) the horror of what she went through during the mutant genocide attack on Genosha via exploration of her memories from that day. Works in conjunction with New X-Men #132.

Uncanny X-Men #442-443

Returning to the wreckage of Genosha, Lorna has a deep philosophical debate with Professor X over the values of pacifism, and whether or not use of potentially deadly force to stop anti-mutant hate is appropriate. Lorna does an excellent one-woman job of the struggle between Xavier and Magneto philosophies, further magnified by how they're standing in Genosha's ruins and Lorna is still dealing with the trauma of what happened there.

Civil War: House of M

House of M was an event within the 616 universe, but HoM is effectively an alternate universe. This miniseries chronicles Magneto's rise to power in that AU. Insofar as Lorna is concerned, we get to see her interact with her family, and we also get the very first depictions of both a child Lorna using her powers and its version of Lorna's mother Susanna. The version and relation of Susanna here would be the foundation for Suzanna in X-Factor #243.

Exiles volume #2

Another alternate universe depiction, but I highly recommend it. The team includes teen versions of Lorna and Wanda from separate AUs, and the story takes them to an AU built around House of M. It's very fun, upbeat and playful.

X-Factor #243

Lorna's origin story is finally told in this issue, over 40 years after she was created. This is another crucial issue to read for her as a result.

All-New X-Factor #1-2, #7-20

All-New X-Factor marked Lorna getting to lead a team in her own right, rather than "filling in" as leader for other characters. I say skip #3-6 because those issues really dropped the ball hard, but #7 and after mostly started to improve treatment of her. Important issue is All-New X-Factor #14, the first and only time Lorna got to have any interaction with Wanda in a decade. Just before the forced retcon on Wanda and Pietro's parentage led to Marvel keeping them apart.

Secret Wars: House of M

Another alternate universe. This four-issue miniseries does very well by its version Lorna, allowing her to be commanding, intelligent and resourceful. One of my fave highlights from it is banter between Lorna and Black Cat as Lorna picks a lock with her powers, and the idea of them criming it up together. However, I have to say that it did poorly by Magneto at one point and Quicksilver/Pietro throughout.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-05-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: suggested titles looked too big in 3 font, adding images

Default Polaris in Other Media

For purposes of introduction, this post will simply highlight what exists, not share any particular thoughts about quality or that interpretation. CBR limits number of external images in a post to three, so I'm selecting the three I think should or must be highlighted instead of making multiple posts.

In general, Lorna didn't have much of a presence in other media until the mid/late 00s. The greatest activity for her is relatively new.

Gifted

This live action interpretation of Polaris played by Emma Dumont is currently the most well-known interpretation in other media. The character as depicted on the TV show lives in a dystopia for mutants where the X-Men and Brotherhood are gone, and laws and society are essentially built around anti-mutant prejudice and hatred. She's pregnant with a child, she's Magneto's daughter, and as far as I know will be leading a Hellfire Club.

X-Men: The Animated Series

Lorna was in a few episodes of the 90s X-Men cartoon. At the time, she was mainly known for being a member of X-Factor and Havok's girlfriend, which were her roles in the story.

Wolverine and the X-Men

This cartoon came out in 2008 and was the first show to use and explore her relationship to her father and her family. The story of the season (and series) shows her on Genosha both in the present and in the future (after Genosha's destruction and the loss of her dad and family). One episode centers on her being wooed by Gambit.

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Technically her first video game appearance. As explained by jmc247, Polaris was originally slated to be a meaningful character in the game due to her involvement in Genosha, but the role was passed to her sister Scarlet Witch. As a result, Lorna's role was reduced to being captured by Apocalypse and only briefly seen in the background.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I'm including this entry for completeness. Lorna is included in the background of art for Magneto's ending. Noteworthy is that during hype period, rumors circulated claiming Lorna would be playable alongside other characters like Apocalypse and Cyclops.

The Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past

A mobile game created as a tie-in with the live action film of the same name. Lorna was playable as an update, with her own distinct abilities and animations. Unfortunately, development ceased before release of Magneto (and I think Storm too), and the company that renamed itself as Gigataur shut down. The game can no longer be downloaded from app stores. But, it's significant for being her first playable appearance where she was uniquely worked on.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

First playable appearance of Lorna, as an unlockable character. She was essentially a skin given Magneto's power set.

This completes the current list of notable other media appearances. To avoid having an excessively long list, I did not count trading cards/trading card games, brief use in audiobooks and similar content.

So, has there been any news as to where or if Lorna will have a spot in any comic after the October.

With the characters profile raised with the public to never seen before levels due to a high level of interest in The Gifted's interpretation of the character its been an issue for many fans I have noticed that are looking for issues to buy to learn about and get to know the comic version of the character.

The issues listed in the third post of the new thread happen to be by in large in my subjective view as well by far the strongest way to start ones search into the character to learn about her with her 50th anniversary coming up in October. The characters potential from her first few issues in 1968 was squandered for many years after and I do see the Genoshan genocide as a sort of re-foundation moment for the character in a way that finally allowed the character to start to live up to her potential as Polaris Queen of Mutants.

There are others I would list such as individually reading X-Factor 94, New X-Men 99, and Uncanny X-Men 380.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    So, has there been any news as to where or if Lorna will have a spot in any comic after the October.
    No news at all currently in terms of if the character will be around for her 50th anniversary in October or after.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-05-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    No news at all currently in terms of if the character will be around for her 50th anniversary in October or after.
    Well, that's to bad. I don't watch the Gifted, but I hear that it's really good, and Emma Dumant is making the character popular. I thought that might get her a spot in a comic.

And really, I'm surprised you found my original post to respond to. On my screen I didn't even see my post until I came back to this thread just to read it.

BANNED

For what it's worth, just highlighting her most recent comics appearances, post 2015's Secret Wars:

They're in chronological order, with the first being an enjoyable but only minor, alternate future version. Links are included below the images shown, for the collected editions featuring each, with hopes of providing convenience.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-05-2018 at 07:30 AM.

BANNED

Her Gifted season 2 promo, which premieres Sept. 25th on Fox at 8pm, and the new trailer:

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Whoa why is there a new thread? Is this related to the forum being so slow and freezing like too many enormous threads or something?

Well yeah hopefully we get some info on Lorna showing up in a book relatively soon, I'd have to believe it will occur given they just put the Cuckoos into X-23 (admittedly probably only as first arc guests though but still).

The last few issues of BLUE *might* touch on Lorna some more but if not, then her current status is simply "was just on an ad hoc squad to support her dad, the mission somewhat failed, and is now on more cordial/respectful terms with Havok"

She also seems a lot more mentally/emotionally stable than in several past iterations (related to her throwing off the attempt of Ultimate Malice as well)
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Aww, I'll miss the old thread. Here's to the new one! Hopefully some new Polaris stuff is on the way!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    X-Factor #243

Lorna's origin story is finally told in this issue, over 40 years after she was created. This is another crucial issue to read for her as a result.

All-New X-Factor #1-2, #7-20

All-New X-Factor marked Lorna getting to lead a team in her own right, rather than "filling in" as leader for other characters. I say skip #3-6 because those issues really dropped the ball hard, but #7 and after mostly started to improve treatment of her. Important issue is All-New X-Factor #14, the first and only time Lorna got to have any interaction with Wanda in a decade. Just before the forced retcon on Wanda and Pietro's parentage led to Marvel keeping them apart.

Secret Wars: House of M

Another alternate universe. This four-issue miniseries does very well by its version Lorna, allowing her to be commanding, intelligent and resourceful. One of my fave highlights from it is banter between Lorna and Black Cat as Lorna picks a lock with her powers, and the idea of them criming it up together. However, I have to say that it did poorly by Magneto at one point and Quicksilver/Pietro throughout.

Default Iconic Polaris Moments

Thanks Heroine! I decided to add pictures to my list once I saw nobody else was really adding their own suggested reading lists, but it was hard to decide which covers to showcase.

Anyway! Here are three iconic Polaris moments that I think are very worth highlighting. That is not to say these moments are the "most important," only that I feel they're an excellent glimpse into Lorna and what she can offer. I have already provided one such scene in the first post of the thread.

This moment within Uncanny X-Men #66 (1970) emphasizes Lorna's independent, more feminist nature as originally intended. As Lorna herself puts it, she has interests and concerns that take much higher priority for her than "who takes whom to the next sock hop." Or rather, she has far more to who she is and what she wants to accomplish with her life than being someone's girlfriend.

In Giant-Size X-Men #1, Lorna is among the original X-Men that was trapped by the island Krakoa. Once the new team of X-Men come and rescue the original X-Men, Lorna and Storm work together to finish off the island. This moment doubles as a great show of how Lorna and another mutant can work together toward a common goal, and a show of how powerful Lorna could be even as far back as 1975 when this issue was made.

Lastly, we have the genocide on Genosha which Lorna survived. The whole sequence of events reveals how highly Genosha's mutants regarded her, how deeply she knew and cared about her people, and how horrific and traumatizing all those millions of deaths were for her. It's a solid representation of why Marvel should acknowledge and use this aspect of her character history in the same way they do her father Magneto's experience with the Holocaust.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.

In terms of the first page a summary is for the for the best of important historical moments for the character. A full in-depth history not so much. I will add in some right now.

The Queen of Mutants

Starting with X-Men #49 Lorna's first story line was very much a 1968 struggle. This theme continues on through her history. Does she accept the proverbial crown or mantle and try to lead and save mutants? The stakes finally became real for her with Genosha and its destruction in a way they hadn't been before.

It was not an abstract idea, she watched millions of people die before her and had the memories of the last moments of their lives seared into her mind.

She lived a dozen different lives from government agent, to X-Man, to rebel, to leader of a government. She saw beauty in the world, but also the very darkest side of human nature and the greatest evils that one can imagine. But, how to protect mutants in the face of those who do not care the evil their government makes or those that actively seek their destruction? The difficult question Lorna is faced with.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.