Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
And now for page 2 of the Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me, drawn by Mlad.

I know some people aren't keen on the content of top, left and right panels. Their use here is not to be mistaken for support of how Lorna was treated during those periods. It's absolutely not. However, they're parts of her history that I think are important to acknowledge - and that I think can be revisited and reworked into something good for her.

The only case I'm leery of is the big bullet-deflecting Lorna in the right panel. I don't want Marvel to ever turn her back into that; only exception I'd see is if it's clear it's not her actual powers (not even secondary mutation) and it's clear she's returning to normal by end of the story arc using it. With that kept in mind, I can see that period acknowledged and used to get at how she felt about being turned into that, the body dysmorphia it caused (possibly paired with how she used to dye her hair brown when she was younger), etc.

She's suffered through a lot. People trying to take her identity away from her and make into something she isn't and doesn't want to be is part of that.

P.S. - Originally, instead of Pestilence Lorna, right panel was going to have a Stepford wife style Lorna to match the history of writers (mainly Claremont) trying to turn her into that for Havok. I ultimately decided not to use that angle because I felt this wasn't the place for a call-out. It also helped that Marvel hasn't been forcing Havok on Lorna any further since Blue. If they were, I would've felt an intense obligation to call it out with this page.
VERY nice, Salarta, in ALL respects - I'm impressed! And I agree, I like to think her character could be shown to draw strength & resolve, from her more unfavorable, past traumatic eXperiences. Wherein she's been manipulated, robbed of her agency, and basically/tragically... violated.

PERFECTly apt for Polaris, me thinX.