Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Her years of heavy deconstruction and attempt to reform the character into something other then Polaris Mistress of Magnetism in the 80s didn't happen until the West Coast X-Men was deep sixed.
    Bless you Mark Gruenwald, but CURSE you Jim Shooter, why couldn't ya just have done BOTH?! You were thinking too small, and should've taken a chance - DANG IT!!
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-08-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

What could have been. Polaris could have been in such a better place if they had gone through with the X-Men spin off team. Would have loved to seen Lorna working with Iceman and Banshee on a regular basis.

No Polaris sighting today in Blue, but she is on the cover for the next issue, so hopefully we'll get to see (an alternate version at least..) her before the series ends.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 08-08-2018 at 04:12 PM.

BANNED

*sigh* I hear ya, Marvel really missed an opportunity there, IMO. I would've given anything to read that X-men West book, in hindsight.

Still gonna read today's Blue, just with less enthusiasm, 'cause of no Lorna. But I'm with ya, hope she makes at least some sort of worthwhile appearance, neXt issue.

My default attitude is that I don't want Bunn writing Lorna anymore. I think he only sees her as an object he can use to promote Havok and Magneto, moreso former than latter. I especially don't trust him writing her with this current Magneto-centric arc after the Havok-centric arc he neither needed nor deserved. After robbing Lorna of what was supposed to be her big return, and before Havok getting his own team book to lead.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Bless you Mark Gruenwald, but CURSE you Jim Shooter, why couldn't ya just have done BOTH?! You were thinking too small, and should've taken a chance - DANG IT!!
    Yeah both is fine but honestly I think New Mutants is more important, iconic, etc. than West Coast X-Men would've been. Sorry folks, that's just the reality IMO. It sucks for Lorna but them's the breaks.

That doesn't excuse Claremont totally neglecting the character and the turning her into a running punching bag either
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

No, that's just your perception of things. Which at least remains consistent, and consistently suspect, if nothing else.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-09-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

X-Men #146 is one of my favorite X-Men issues, despite it being not an essential read in the X-Men mythos. Cockrum has recently returned to the book, and though his art wasn't as high as caliber as it had been previously, he still had some very good moments. I was happy to see the Shi'ar costume back (even though I do like the classic Steranko/Adams version perhaps equally well -- the Shi'ar version had a more modern feel).

This was the first time we really saw Polaris's abilities fully explored. X-Men 97 implied that she could repel attacks/create force fields -- but in 146 we saw here explicitly use that ability. And it was perhaps the first time since her origin story that we saw her inner monologue (thought balloons).

Had this team gotten its own book -- probably with an addition or two -- I would have been amazed.

I'm liking Astonishing. I know people resist Alex and Lorna being on the same team, but I'd like to see Polaris show up there -- even if it's just for an arc.

Astonishing Member

All things considered --- I would have preferred West Coast X-Men over New Mutants. New Mutants was an okay comic -- but very lackluster until Bill Sienkiewicz got involved.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

We're all entitled to our own opinion, but I don't think anyone can really say whether or not the spin off team would have been iconic or not. It never existed, so you can't really compare. Who knows what stories could have been told and direction those character could have taken if they had been given the chance. I personally would have loved to seen both the New Mutants and the West Coast team. Can you imagine the crossovers between Uncanny X-Men, WC X-Men, New Mutants, and X-Factor? Could have been some great stuff.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 08-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    All things considered --- I would have preferred West Coast X-Men over New Mutants. New Mutants was an okay comic -- but very lackluster until Bill Sienkiewicz got involved.
    In terms of UXM 146 I have given it kudos, but it also gives me a bit of an unsettled feeling because it shows Claremont could write Lorna decently and was seemingly told to get things ready for such a West Coast book he was maneuvering against. No writer of the 70s and 80s went to proverbial school on electromagnetism quite like Claremont did so he knew what the powers of an electromagnetism manipulator should be able to do.

Behind Austen who also cracked his books on what electromagnetism should be able to do no writer enhanced Lorna's power and skill set in their run from the mid 70s to start of the 80s more then Claremont. But, it also has to be noted he over time became dead set on taking her powers away from her along with her code name away. I really think the problem came down to her being a competitor to two characters he liked alot more one of them was Storm (as Jean's best friend and the teams power house energy wielder) and the other well the guy Lorna always was and is compared to today and 50 years ago.

That lead to Polaris No More in UXM 250 and was going to lead to the creation of a new character out of the ashes.

Kevin M. Moore

original plans for a re-vamped Lorna Dane were to have her
    gain the powers of enhanced strength, invunerability, and size, at the
    cost of "leeching" the life-force and sanity of those around her.
    A similar concept was used in the original version of Longshot. In his
    case, his luck power was a focus of ALL the luck of all the people in a
    surrounding area. This resulted in his being a 'luck sponge' and his
    comrades became proportionately UN-lucky.

Lorna's new superhero name was supposed to have been "Synergy." In the
    marvel bullpen, synergy is a combination of energy and sin. Lorna's
    leeching is a "sin," and her energy manifests as three of the MOST
    boring, overused powers in the Marvel Universe.

From April 1991
    I will just say this an issue with Lorna fandom is often an inability to see all sides of different eras in the characters history. I have had to fight this reflex myself which is at times why I do my histories on the character from time to time to check my assumptions. I will just say that Lorna's ex is getting a writer who loves the character and wants to champion him and further his character and he deserves it.

Lorna deserves a champion on the public and it’s up to the writers to figure out who that will be.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.

The head is finished.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.

I'm liking Astonishing. I know people resist Alex and Lorna being on the same team, but I'd like to see Polaris show up there -- even if it's just for an arc.
    I'm currently open to Lorna used on Astonishing... as long as Havok isn't even so much as mentioned anywhere near her at any point.

X-Men Blue took me from "I don't want them interacting but I can overlook a few brief spots here and there" to hell no. Havok stole her return from her, then got a five-issue story arc dedicated to him with Lorna treated like all her value lies in advancing his story, then he got to lead his own team book. He's had enough opportunity to screw Lorna over for his benefit for the next 10 years.

I will say though, that if I heard Lorna is going to be written by Rosenberg, I would be watching with a critical eye now. One, because I've lost a lot of trust in Marvel. Two, because Havok is on Astonishing and I don't trust anyone writing him can handle the idea of not treating Lorna like she exists to serve his interests. Three, because I've heard Rosenberg considers Havok to be his favorite character, meaning I fully expect he's going to by default operate in terms of what benefits Havok.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

... I'm liking Astonishing. I know people resist Alex and Lorna being on the same team, but I'd like to see Polaris show up there -- even if it's just for an arc.
    WELL said, KC, so would I! I have the utmost faith she'd be handled with care, and I'd LOVE to see how Matt Rosenberg would write her...

... further, in a much more eXpanded sense. I trust in his good intentions, and his uncanny instincts. ;D

Besides, not like AleX wasn't around, when Austen wrote her. Fans should keep that in mind, when entertaining the possibilities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    ... I personally would have loved to seen both the New Mutants and the West Coast team. Can you imagine the crossovers between Uncanny X-Men, WC X-Men, New Mutants, and X-Factor? Could have been some great stuff.
    Same-same!! And THAT X-over...
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-09-2018 at 02:00 PM.

I recall Phoenix Resurrection quite well as myself and Soulsword pushed rather hard that she be included in a story Marvel at the time called all hands on deck and involved Lorna's first friend on the X-Men, but they seemed to have forgot about her and belatedly though not appreciatively included her in it.

As for Rosenberg if he really wants it to happen and comes up with a pitch to editorial that surpasses any others on the table for it to happen it will happen its quite simple, but that she isn't there now and won't be through the end of the year in Astonishing based on the trade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-10-2018 at 01:28 PM.