Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1634
    Ultimate Member

Actually no I don't bash on Magneto on a daily basis, and you mean the mass murderer that is Magneto...as for Alex I'm saying that he hasn't been pushed as much as some here claim that he has and that he's paid for his mistakes...I seriously doubt that every last man woman and child on Instagram and twitter wants Magneto on the show, so that's a lie from you Michelle, as for Alex on the show he's probably dead so I don't expect that to happen anyway so then is Alex any more irrelevant on the show than Xavier or Jean or Storm or Cyclops...Magneto has not always been on the forefront, he was busy soiling his diapers and drooling for several years remember...after Xavier defeated him in a heartbeat...

And no Alex is not an Uncle Tom character either...so then Lorna's appearances should revolve around a mass murdering psychopath, who has tried to murder his own children before...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Actually no I don't bash on Magneto on a daily basis, and you mean the mass murderer that is Magneto...as for Alex I'm saying that he hasn't been pushed as much as some here claim that he has and that he's paid for his mistakes...I seriously doubt that every last man woman and child on Instagram and twitter wants Magneto on the show, so that's a lie from you Michelle, as for Alex on the show he's probably dead so I don't expect that to happen anyway so then is Alex any more irrelevant on the show than Xavier or Jean or Storm or Cyclops...Magneto has not always been on the forefront, he was busy soiling his diapers and drooling for several years remember...after Xavier defeated him in a heartbeat...

And no Alex is not an Uncle Tom character either...so then Lorna's appearances should revolve around a mass murdering psychopath, who has tried to murder his own children before...
    At the same time, Gifted has done well ratings wise and will carry over into the MCU in some form or another. Emma Dumont's version of Polaris has made Lorna popular and that will influence future depictions of her.

To be completely honest both Havok and Polaris were second rate characters that were mostly kept out of the X-Men. Havok never found his place in the team, nor did Lorna. A lot more was done with Lorna when they decided to officially make her Magneto's daughter. That's what got her in Gifted in the first place, being Magneto's daughter. Havok was killed off in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Magneto? He's always at the forefront. The entire revitalization of the X line under Claremont came from making Magneto the centerpiece and then sales went through the roof. Lorna debuted as Magneto's daughter...they're finally making up for lost time. Which is what everyone wants if you look on instagram... twitter....its nonstop. Emma Dumont..she wants a Magneto appearance on the show more than anything. They cant pay Emma Dumont to give a damn about Havok..that's how irrevelant he is.
    First: there's a fine line between "we like the connection between Lorna and Magneto" and "we want Lorna to be Magneto's helper, or Magneto but with boobs." It's true that there's a lot of lost time to make up for, but it's also incredibly important to keep their relationship from going the wrong ways just for the sake of having Lorna around Magneto. We don't want Lorna's relationship with Magneto to become as toxic as it's become with Havok. And while I'm glad Gifted has given Lorna a big spotlight and helped to solidify Magneto as her father, it's also a problem when people refer to her as "Gifted's version of Magneto" and similar things. Because it loses sight of what makes Lorna into a character in her own right.

Second: Emma Dumont was a Polaris x Havok shipper back when she was first finding out about Lorna. I don't know the exact status of her views now, but I assume this is no longer the case, and she's found out how toxic the relationship is for Lorna as it's been written in the comics to date. I mention this because I think it's important to keep in mind how views have evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    At the same time, Gifted has done well ratings wise and will carry over into the MCU in some form or another. Emma Dumont's version of Polaris has made Lorna popular and that will influence future depictions of her.
    If you mean season 1, maybe. If you mean season 2, the sites I've looked at predict the show's going to be canceled because of low ratings. Aside from that, it's true the show has made Lorna more popular. It was the first time anyone gave her a real spotlight in any form of media.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    To be completely honest both Havok and Polaris were second rate characters that were mostly kept out of the X-Men. Havok never found his place in the team, nor did Lorna. A lot more was done with Lorna when they decided to officially make her Magneto's daughter. That's what got her in Gifted in the first place, being Magneto's daughter. Havok was killed off in the movies.
    It's more that Claremont and writers around his time decided to write her poorly, and most writers after Claremont decided to stick to his tainted idea of how she should be. Because it was easier and fit their nostalgia.

Lorna has immense value and potential in her own right without Magneto. Having a relationship with Magneto is certainly still a good thing that has built on her potential and shown sides of her that otherwise wouldn't be seen. I still support their relationship. But Lorna isn't a "second rate character" who only has value because of Magneto. She's a first rate character who's been unfairly maligned for decades, with her value only finally getting some small notice when writers figured she could be used with Magneto.

There's a reason the interactions I'm most interested in seeing for Lorna are Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey, and Iceman, while Magneto is now on the backburner for me. I feel we've reached a point where it's necessary to stop having Lorna around Magneto quite as much and let her have other relationships so people understand there's more to her than "daughter of Magneto" or "girlfriend of Havok."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

I don't think that either found their place not because they weren't good enough but because neither was allowed to find their place, in the movies they couldn't get Alex right as they made him Scott's older brother for one...

I'm not bashing the show or Dumont as a person or her portrayal of Lorna but it's not the same continuity as the MCU either, as it's pretty much an entirely different reality and not sure that the same characters and actors from the show would even be crossed over and Dark Phoenix could reset everything so to speak to some degree...

I just think that now Lorna too easily gets swallowed up by the balloon or sphere of influence and clout that is Magneto, like why a child of a celebrity will often use their mothers maiden name to separate themselves from their famous dad or vice versa, I'm not saying that Magneto isn't a big character or that he shouldn't be, only that Lorna can suffer because of her more famous relative just like Alex has because of his more famous relative...

As right now she's known pretty much solely as the daughter of Magneto...rather than Lorna Dane, Polaris...
    Last edited by LoganAlpha30X33; 12-24-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Just to reiterate: what I'm saying is that Polaris being Magneto's daughter is good, and should be maintained and used, but that identity should not become the be-all end-all of the character. If it does, it's just as bad as how she's been treated around Havok for decades.

Marvel's finally acknowledging and using the connection. The next step is Marvel doing it right. And I think Marvel's at the point where they now need to have her interacting more with Scarlet Witch, Jean, Iceman, etc so that they have a better grasp of who Lorna is without Magneto for when they write her interacting with Magneto. Same basic philosophy as what I've been saying about Havok, except Magneto can still be written with Lorna because their relationship doesn't (currently) have decades worth of mistreatment to clean up.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Lorna being Magneto's daughter is the thematic/logical reason why she should be more important to the franchise so her actual character can be displayed.

Ultimate Member

I was just trying to say that while her being his daughter should be acknowledged it shouldn't be her whole identity like it pretty much is now imho...or her whole identity being Alex's girlfriend either...Lorna and Magneto's relationship has decades of him totally ignoring her existence actually...

And if Marvel wants Magneto as a villain in the near future I'd rather Lorna not follow him down that path...

Polaris by arm96

Also a couple recent tweets.

Links to each.

https://twitter.com/robintrash198/st...97073206968322
    https://twitter.com/robintrash198/st...17473924083712

I also have a couple more things to post concerning Lorna's character that were posted by Grayhold on Twitter.

I'm assuming this was part of Austen's run, one of the issues I didn't read. As I've said before, my reading of anything pre-2009 is spotty.

What's relevant here is how Lorna goes from business suit to combat suit right away with what appears to be a ring of green energy. This means either Lorna was wearing her combat suit but used her powers to appear to be wearing a business suit (or vice versa), or she used her powers to change her business suit into her combat suit. One angle means she's shown she's capable of distorting visuals and perception, the other angle means there's another case of Lorna being able to make her own outfits with her powers. This time not even needing it to be explicitly metallic.

And here's the other case. I'm assuming from Hidden Years.

Lorna being able to boost Xavier's telepathy feeds directly into what I've said about pseudo-psychic powers. If she can transmit those brain waves and push them further, there's no reason she couldn't also send out some of her own.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Love the fanart thanks

It is really cool how she changes her attire I assume it must be metallic in nature to permit such, either that or Xavier was shielding the audience's minds from recognizing it? Not sure

I don't like her being an actual psychic sorry but I am ok with the idea of harnessing the EM Force having a low level resistance to psychic attack sure. Maybe it can give her some very very primitive "flashes" from those nearby on occasion but any further than that and you're radically altering her powerset
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    First: there's a fine line between "we like the connection between Lorna and Magneto" and "we want Lorna to be Magneto's helper, or Magneto but with boobs." It's true that there's a lot of lost time to make up for, but it's also incredibly important to keep their relationship from going the wrong ways just for the sake of having Lorna around Magneto. We don't want Lorna's relationship with Magneto to become as toxic as it's become with Havok. And while I'm glad Gifted has given Lorna a big spotlight and helped to solidify Magneto as her father, it's also a problem when people refer to her as "Gifted's version of Magneto" and similar things. Because it loses sight of what makes Lorna into a character in her own right.

Second: Emma Dumont was a Polaris x Havok shipper back when she was first finding out about Lorna. I don't know the exact status of her views now, but I assume this is no longer the case, and she's found out how toxic the relationship is for Lorna as it's been written in the comics to date. I mention this because I think it's important to keep in mind how views have evolved.

If you mean season 1, maybe. If you mean season 2, the sites I've looked at predict the show's going to be canceled because of low ratings. Aside from that, it's true the show has made Lorna more popular. It was the first time anyone gave her a real spotlight in any form of media.

It's more that Claremont and writers around his time decided to write her poorly, and most writers after Claremont decided to stick to his tainted idea of how she should be. Because it was easier and fit their nostalgia.

Lorna has immense value and potential in her own right without Magneto. Having a relationship with Magneto is certainly still a good thing that has built on her potential and shown sides of her that otherwise wouldn't be seen. I still support their relationship. But Lorna isn't a "second rate character" who only has value because of Magneto. She's a first rate character who's been unfairly maligned for decades, with her value only finally getting some small notice when writers figured she could be used with Magneto.

There's a reason the interactions I'm most interested in seeing for Lorna are Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey, and Iceman, while Magneto is now on the backburner for me. I feel we've reached a point where it's necessary to stop having Lorna around Magneto quite as much and let her have other relationships so people understand there's more to her than "daughter of Magneto" or "girlfriend of Havok."
    Magneto with Boobs? Not quite. Magneto would never be on X Factor or put up with Alex Summers for more than a panel. Lorna is a hero and will stand with her friends more often than not but her being like Wanda..being anti Magneto and running that same silly sorry trope that is played out is beyond stupid and regressive.

Lorna isnt supposed to be soft like Jean and Kitty...after what shes been through with Apocalypse and Sinister alone should prevent that from being possible. And she survived a genocide...shes not supposed to be all passive and Uncle Tom-ish like Havok..even her being around Havok is ridiculous at this stage considering how mentally weak he is.

On the Gifted...its Lorna making the hard choices while Marcos cant even do two rights in a row. He's a bungler and cant make a good decision. Out there scheming behind Lorna's back with that drug runner like a coward..some Gambit type crap.

X factor #243..Magneto made the hard choices and as always...was judged for it by inferiors

Ultimate Member

Didn't Magneto switch sides over the years, so he rails against Xavier one minute and joins him the next, Lorna is not Magneto and Magneto is not Lorna so no Lorna should not act exactly like Magneto and think exactly like he does...I don't think that being inverted has anything at all to do with whether someone is mentally weak or not, at the time that Gambit interacted with Sinister that lead to the Morlocks deaths he was not a member of the X-Men and much younger than he is now and his powers were messed up...ah I see...Magneto is perfect and has never made any mistakes...like demanding that his own son be killed and then trying to do it himself...

And this then again is the same Magneto that knelt down in front of Scott and then was basically a vegetable for months after Xavier mindwiped him, Alex isn't passive he's just not a mass murderer like Magneto is...