Page 18 of 109 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    A premise could spinout of X-men Blue and have her dealing with the fallout of Mothervine. It was a global phenomen and while her interim team did their best to neutralize it, people died and cities were damaged by the unexpected activation of mutant abilities. It also has stirred up hostility towards mutants bc of this. I dont know what the story would be but it would entail Lorna being more of a an aggressive force that fights for the protection and safety of these new mutants. I'd envision Uniscione with her along with Vanisher (teleporter), Monet (feeling the need to redeem herself), Avalanche (Id bring back the original). In the climax, she'd come into conflict with Jean's Red team which opposes her aggressive tactics in favor of their more passive ones. They however end up teaming up together against several sentinels that have been deployed by an anti-mutant ambassadors to track a young mutant whose powers were activated by Mothervine and decimated a village. The sentinels were sent to kill him bc his powers are out of control and he's unintentionally killed hundreds. The teams protect the boy and defeat the the sentinels but they give him a choice and he chooses to walk away with Lorna

The final scene would have her give a speech to a crowd of mutants, we've seen over the course of the mini, whom chant her name as their champion. She walks away to a private room where she toasts champagne with Emma Frost, whom she's given asylum to. The final shot would be of a sign that reads Genosha, implying that that is where they are and she's rebuilding it to lead.

I think something like this would give her a chance to lead again, give her strong motivation and characterization and position her in a solid spot to act as an antagonist in future books. She wouldnt be a villian bc she has the best intentions but doesnt agree with taking a peaceful and passive approach to get results. A good writer would really need to capture the anger and passion that she has in The Gifted to sell it. If it sells well, it also sets up a future mini or ongoing that centers around her team and/or as Queen of Genosha
    That is a really great idea. Its grounded in major events that came before with the character while taking risks in a way the publishing side hasn't with Lorna in quite some time. Taking risks should be the name of the game and in this case its based on things in her history that were under developed. It would be a solid way to breath life into so many non-existent or dead relationships for Lorna and make them memorable.

Taking risks was what made Lorna's popularity explode during early last decade, its also key in the success of her live action depiction. As if they were playing it safe as it sounds like their early planning intended to with her she would be an unassuming girlfriend character that defined much of her comic book existence.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I'm bored waiting for more content either in comics or on TV. Here is a vid that gets me hyped (it's pretty short and only covers like episodes 1 and 2 though)
    Thanks for bringing them over.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-21-2018 at 07:19 AM.

teal-bandit made this awesome piece (all her pieces are awesome, but I love this in particular) with freckles for Lorna. She's also in the middle of a dark fic focused on Pietro as a victim of human trafficking, and I wanted to give a heads up on that for anyone interested in reading it!

Now this one is interesting. I was in the middle of doing searches to respond to a post here on CBR about how Marvel doesn't share sales info. Along the way, I found this picture. Oldest date for site using this that I could find (via tineye) was 2016. Whoever made this picture, of all the covers they could have chosen to use, they went with X-Men #50, featuring Lorna.

They could have used one featuring the O5 X-Men and they didn't. And I don't think a simple "they went with what looks best/most iconic" works here cause they didn't use Action Comics #1 for Superman.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Also bear in mind Uncanny #50 is the first time the iconic logo appears! Which I always found amazing, what an honor for our gal to be intro'd at the same time as that. Also it was same time Uncanny started getting more innovative/experimental art.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Solicits for November below, nothing new Lorna related. They do show an epic number of artists doing Uncanny X-Men revival comics including Alan Davis on the Avengers among many others. More X-Men variant covers then I think I have ever seen. Emma Frost has moved on to the cosmic Avengers in a team with Loki.

https://www.newsarama.com/41468-marv...citations.html

Elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Thanks juan... refugees learning about magnetic fields, magnets, ferrous metal, and more.

That reminds me of when Lorna in the comics would give lectures often to other characters (like with Nurse Annie, Wolverine and Bobby mainly in the early 2000s) about electromagnetism its properties in the natural universe only these are real people in need. I always believed comics should be a place to help educate the next generation somewhat even within the realm of the background science and yes certainly pseudoscience they rely on.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-21-2018 at 11:06 AM.

No doubt about it, jmc. Tons of actual scientists got their inspiration to pursue the field as children from fiction. It opens up your imagination to the possibilities.

OBEY

No doubt about it, jmc. Tons of actual scientists got their inspiration to pursue the field as children from fiction. It opens up your imagination to the possibilities.
    That is true and with a science based powers set like Lorna one should expect minimally a bit of educating of the audience in that area.

Polaris and Scarlet Witch by Debsores

Polaris by Astarayel

In terms of the solicits for November, the early 90s nostalgia is so pervasive its like steam coming off the solicts. Beyond that I have nothing. October and November I sort of view as both Lorna's 50th anniversary months given Lorna was introduced in #49 yes, but in X-Men #50 'Queen of Mutants' was sort of her coming out month replete with world famous cover.

I do think long term Emma and Lorna would make interesting friends as Havok83 wrote about and both lack core friendships, but I think live action will have to make the sale there. I also think both fans and ideas from live action will have to make the sale of Lorna breaking out of the same old same old.

Marvel comics have been conservative as hell with Lorna by in large outside very brief flurries of inspiration over the years, the biggest of which the past 30 years was in the early 00s when her driving focus wasn't completely subsumed by recycled soap.

There were good moments and bad for the character the past decade. I will say fans by in large weren't able to make the sale to Marvel for the character working outside of her preordained lot based on what she was in the 80s into the early 90s over the past decade, but the next generation of fans have an invaluable instrument with the live action version showing the public how the character can function outside the pre-established 80s and early 90s rubric with Lorna and into the potential the early 2000s was developing her toward before the character was completely regressed in characterization and punted into space.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-21-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Also bear in mind Uncanny #50 is the first time the iconic logo appears! Which I always found amazing, what an honor for our gal to be intro'd at the same time as that. Also it was same time Uncanny started getting more innovative/experimental art.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't even considered it until your post.

Not surprised there's no Lorna in anything in November either. It's a good reminder of why I never cared about anything Marvel when I was growing up. All they care about is their nostalgia bubbles, not good things outside those bubbles. Won't be long before I stop buying/reading/watching/playing all things Disney until someone gets hired or promoted at Marvel that actually cares about doing better by Lorna. By which I mean she gets a solo/mini/oneshot or leads a team book, and gets treated with respect in the process, to make up for Blue. Starts January 1 next year.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-21-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Ultimate Member

I don't think that they'll kill her and hope that they don't...then again as for the next several months I'm not surprised that she's not been featured as the crossover seems to be about Kitty and Jean and such...

These are my current expectations of how Marvel will treat Lorna with the way the company is currently run, in order of what I think is most likely first.

1. Supporting character for Havok, probably forced into being his girlfriend again
    2. Character death
    3. Forced limbo
    4. Background extra that appears about once per year
    5. Appearance for one issue/arc of a book
    6. Minor supporting character for a random book
    7. Supporting character for Magneto
    8. Team member on a lower end X-Men book
    9. Team member on a higher end X-Men book
    10. Leader of a lower end X-Men book
    11. Leader of a higher end X-Men book
    12. Polaris solo/mini/oneshot

I don't need to consider the idea of Lorna being a team member or leader on something outside the X-Men books because it will never happen.

P.S. - This is why fandom matters. Since we're fans, we can discuss things we would like to see, and possibly make those things happen ourselves by writing fics, drawing art, etc or commissioning others to make it for us and fill the need Marvel won't fill. The Magnus family as a family gets a hell of a lot of fan work to fill the need for it cause Marvel refuses to fill it. The same can apply to Lorna alone.

P.P.S. - I'm prepped for how things will go with the top end of my expectations. Not the bottom end.
    Last edited by salarta; 08-21-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Upper Deck sketch card

Nah, I think they want to continue the one sided piggy bank model in which they can cash in as they feel like it on what a certain portrayal is bringing in readers from live action while not investing in any real way in the character on their end. Will she die? Will she fight Magneto? Will she date Alex? Bigger question, will I care what the publishing side does under current circumstances?
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-21-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Ultimate Member

In the comics wise I don't think that she'd have to be forced to be Alex's girlfriend again, Bunn certainly didn't drive a stake in the pair, he didn't pair them up again either but it wouldn't be a stretch for it to happen. I don't think that they'll kill her since Magneto is already going bad without that happening, that and she's basically been out of the books for the last several years, only in Blue and only making guest stars in other books I mean by that...

Character death is the scenario I'm now least concerned about on my whole list. It's something I obviously don't want, and I fully think they would do it, but I know what would happen if they went through with it.

Anyway, fanart!

teal-bandit with another great Lorna. She's loving the freckles she's drawing for Lorna (I am too), another sign of fans doing things and taking the lead. She's primarily a Pietro fan actually, so if you like him, she's good to check. She does various fanart of the family but especially Pietro.

R Lynn pinup piece!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I enjoy how a lot of fans are smitten with the magneto family as like a family of "very powerful but chaotic and rebellious mutants" although that does clash some with how Wanda has been portrayed on the big screen, it seems a good chunk of Wanda fans want her to go more "dark" or militant

OBEY