Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Wolverine and the X-Men

This cartoon came out in 2008 and was the first show to use and explore her relationship to her father and her family. The story of the season (and series) shows her on Genosha both in the present and in the future (after Genosha's destruction and the loss of her dad and family). One episode centers on her being wooed by Gambit.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-05-2018 at 05:26 PM.

BANNED

The Genoshan War

Lorna had decided to help end the Genoshan Magistrates reign of terror and in the end was left by the High Evolutionary powerless fighting for weeks on Genosha against mutant slavers that had decided on outright extermination of the rest of the mutant population.

It was an ugly and terrible war that Lorna had to step up for and prove her mettle.

In the end it was a war she had to take leadership for with Magneto out of commission and in winning it she helped turn a nation that had been mutants foremost oppressor into a nation that was a homeland for all mutants everywhere.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 03:42 PM.

The Genoshan Genocide: 'Far Beyond, This Death'

And, the dead are reduced to memories. And, the dead shall be remembered forever.

An article on this poignant issue.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 04:30 PM.

A Child Piled on Corpses

Lorna's powers manifested early and with it took the life of her mother and others on the plane.

Magneto made the choice of his war over raising her and left her off to live a normal life.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks jmc and Heroine, for both sets of great posts.

I'm feeling like the old thread getting closed is a blessing. On her 50th anniversary, it's providing a chance to go back over all the great things about her and appreciate them, while perhaps being more inviting to newcomers because there aren't hundreds of pages anymore. It's definitely better than the first page of the old thread, which somehow ended up blank along the way.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-06-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Some newer fan art, all from this year or close to it, I believe:
    Some of art not posted in many years deserves to be remembered as well.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Uncanny X-Men 145-146

Although most of Lorna's history pre 90s is pretty bad, there was a bright spot that I think is a really fun read. I wouldn't call it essential, but its something that I don't think people need to avoid either. It's the only time in Chris' time with the X-Men that he wrote Polaris well imo. Xavier calls on a team of reserve X-Men, which includes Polaris, to go against Arcade and enter his Murder World, and save the loved ones/allies of the X-Men. Featured some pretty impressive feats for Lorna, and some overall nice moments.

Last edited by Soulsword323; 08-06-2018 at 08:16 AM.

While we are on eras in Lorna's history I generally don't like (the 1990s), but have some good moments for me. The high point of her 90s era for me was clearly the year she developed a voice on mutant affairs (that was no longer what her significant other told her to think about it) and managed to get some of her her old edge from the 60s finally returned under JM's run.

X-Factor 96

The government decided to use her as a brainwashed weapon to try to kill Magneto and destroy his mutant homeland and it unleashed Lorna's long dormant political side as well as her not so warm and cuddly side in regard to Shield Commandos.

Although most of Lorna's history pre 90s is pretty bad, there was a bright spot that I think is a really fun read. I wouldn't call it essential, but its something that I don't think people need to avoid either. It's the only time in Chris' time with the X-Men that he wrote Polaris well imo. Xavier calls on a team of reserve X-Men, which includes Polaris, to go against Arcade and enter his Murder World, and save the love ones/allies of the X-Men. Featured some pretty impressive feats for Lorna, and some overall nice moments.
    Marvel was preparing for a West Coast X-Men team at that time and a new ongoing and the team there would have likely been what made it up. Characters like Bobby, Lorna, Banshee, Havok, etc. that were left behind in the new era. Claremont was maneuvering for a different title New Mutants. It was the best Lorna was written during his run, but it also happened to be after that point we saw her deconstruction.

Anyway I think a shout out is needed to a certain type of fans.

The power of Polaris cosplayers is something I think greatly undervalued in keeping up the torch for the character through the worst of her modern eras. There are tons of Polaris fans out there who either read the comics and stopped because of deep disillusionment with them, but stayed interested in the character various means from writing fan fiction, to art and cosplaying.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:14 PM.

X-Factor 94

For Lorna she begins asking tough questions about the standard they hold themselves to when fighting bigots. JM continues to build on one facet of the character later expanded upon by Austen in Uncanny X-Men and that is Lorna's love of public speaking. Even for those who have yet to have seen or even heard about live action Lorna often know about her public speaking ability and this was where it was first demonstrated.

Uncanny X-Men 443

On the topic of great speeches Lorna gave over the years in the comics her longest and greatest.

Some, but not enough articles on this arc.

https://comicsverse.com/uncanny-x-me...good-and-evil/
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Lorna's public speaking taken to its apex as she debates Xavier in the ruins of Genosha.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-24-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

I haven't seen this one before. Really well done. I wasn't the hugest fan of this costume, but as I've said before, the green really pops against the dark colors. Love how they blended Emma Dumont's look with the comic book incarnation. Also nice to see more and more people realize just how underrated Polaris is as a character. Maybe more people will start demanding to see more of Lorna because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I haven't seen this one before. Really well done. I wasn't the hugest fan of this costume, but as I've said before, the green really pops against the dark colors. Love how they blended Emma Dumont's look with the comic book incarnation. Also nice to see more and more people realize just how underrated Polaris is as a character. Maybe more people will start demanding to see more of Lorna because of that.
    It’s a great piece of art, but I agree the Blue costume felt like Jean much more then it felt like Lorna to me.

The Gifted incarnation looks to be slowly taking on a look with more classic Lorna attributes in terms of costuming over time and it will be interesting to see that play out and the impact it has. I was thinking, Lorna vs Purifier types was something done in the comics a decade and a half ago. Let’s see what happens when the live action version meets up with them.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:25 PM.