Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Its one of those special days for me that comes once a year where I end up a year older, though not too sure about wiser. It was nice to see all these pictures.

I don't expect anything from Lorna and Blue today regardless of the cover and Lorna being on it. Its easier that way. It will be the last issue of X-Men Blue I buy (and I will buy it as I did the previous issue).

I haven't put Uncanny on my pull list either and am leaning against it so far. I think things will get better for the character in a couple years when better ideas for the character from last decade are mainstreamed, but for myself the publishing side has not been where to look for a well rounded and interesting Lorna and hasn't for many years.

Yes, Lorna was certainly used in X-Men Blue to promote Havok and his redemption and move his story forward above anything else, but for me I am used to her being used for that and the bigger issue for me was her core felt like a major throw back to the 1980s for no reason whatsoever. However, at this point its water under the bridge.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ThanX, AN. And thank you, CJ, for all your colorful, impassioned comments. It's owed to you, as that's what inspired me.

MAGNETO FAMILY 4EVA!!!! ��❤����
    I am Very Honored by those Nice Comments of Yours Heroine Addict, Thanks So Much! =)

This is Royal Portrait Level of GOOD Hear, Looks like a Painting the Family would have as they ruled over their world as in the alternate House of M world in the Secret Wars II event of 2015!

MAGNIFICENTLY Done Piece, Good Detail, Royal Colors and 1/2 Photogenic and 1/2 Comic Book Like, Impressive!

Also seeing Lorna and Wanda in those Lovely Dresses was a Grand Idea as well! =)

EDIT: Have to Go To Work, Will Be Back on Later to Discuss other Posts Later.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 08-29-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Have a good day CJ.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It brings back the memories when Wanda and Lorna fandom's were as a whole pretty tight. I said hello on the Wanda thread last week without getting any of the usual push back.
    The joint fandom is still alive and well on Instagram as well. Almost everyday I check my feed and see fan posts about the two of them from comic book fan accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    The joint fandom is still alive and well on Instagram as well. Almost everyday I check my feed and see fan posts about the two of them from comic book fan accounts.
    That is most certainly true and live action has boosted that significantly now that fans have two live action versions of each character to compare scenes with. One notices Emma Dumont likes a great deal of these pictures which inspires those fans to make many more.

The family provided a built in set of relationships for Lorna that she can have no matter where she goes... even in space. But, with that torn asunder it created a whole set of new problems. Lorna has no bankable friendships really and that provides a problem. Family is family and that will be back in time though it could be a year or years, but she needs a solid friendship or two.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Got some Time During My Lunch Today, so here is a Mid-Day Lorna Special Art Contribution!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

In terms of X-Men Blue today.

In all the titles continue feeling like they are realigning to a more start of the 1990s posture. It was clear the previous editorial regime was more in 80s land. Though early 90s land for Lorna doesn't interest me any more then 80s land does. I am done with Lorna in the comics until its no longer an 80s vs 90s which nostalgia is Marvel more into for her at the moment. Well at least I will have live action which is going beyond that.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 11:02 AM.

That ending of Blue was my pitch for Lorna except on Genosha instead of Asteroid M

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That ending of Blue was my pitch for Lorna except on Genosha instead of Asteroid M
    Marvel comics in the current era views Magneto as ideologically multifaceted not Lorna who they view as the mother hen of the B listers. Magneto was ideologically multifacted on Blue at least in terms of his tactics on Blue like dealing with the future Brotherhood while Lorna was not and we weren't allowed to know what she thought of it.

I am sure for some long time fans they are happy with this outcome, but for me it means the end of my comic buying for the foreseeable future as I was unhappy with Lorna on Blue because in the end she had no ideological focus only saving Havok nor did she even have her own edge she had some of under PAD.

At least I have Lorna live action living up to the 1968 or early 2000s potential of the character and it will save me cash. Yes, its sour grapes, but I have had enough years of having alternating nostalgia enema's with creators who can't see her outside an 80s or early 90s box. I have wanted the comic version to live up to her potental for a long time and with the X-Men going back to 80s Xavierite basics as editorial made clear I see no chance of that nor are they going to give her a solo or an ongoing to do her own thing.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Marvel comics in the current era views Magneto as ideologically multifaceted not Lorna who they view as the mother hen of the B listers. Magneto was ideologically multifacted on Blue at least in terms of his tactics on Blue like dealing with the future Brotherhood while Lorna was not and we weren't allowed to know what she thought of it.

I am sure for some long time fans they are happy with this outcome, but for me it means the end of my comic buying for the foreseeable future as I was unhappy with Lorna on Blue because in the end she had no ideological focus only saving Havok nor did she even have her own edge she had some of under PAD.

At least I have Lorna live action living up to the 1968 or early 2000s potential of the character and it will save me cash. Yes, its sour grapes, but I have had enough years of having alternating nostalgia enema's with creators who can't see her outside an 80s or early 90s box. I have wanted the comic version to live up to her potental for a long time and with the X-Men going back to 80s Xavierite basics as editorial made clear I see no chance of that nor are they going to give her a solo or an ongoing to do her own thing.
    Its unfortunate as that role seems like a natural progression for her and would have been much needed character development that would open up tons of possibilities for her future. Instead they regress Magneto 30 years while leaving Lorna stuck in the same rut she's been

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I hate that we didn't get a final Magneto/Polaris scene. Magneto had a brief moment with Danger, and I wish we could have gotten something similar with Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its unfortunate as that role seems like a natural progression for her and would have been much needed character development that would open up tons of possibilities for her future. Instead they regress Magneto 30 years while leaving Lorna stuck in the same rut she's been
    Yes, they are stuck in a very deep rut with both Magneto and Lorna. For Lorna and Magneto those who wanted recycled storytelling and to relive the glory days of the start of the 90s you are going to get it. For Lorna she isn't going to have a deep and memorable relationship with Jean or the other X-Men. I am sure there will be bread crumbs. They might even give her a brief fling before having her in relationship with a certain someone again, but in the end Marvel.com's own summary of the character is entirely wrong she has no complicated relationship with the rest of the mutant community. She has no relationship with the mutant community at all really.

She hasn't fought for mutants and she skipped out on the whole era where mutants were endangered and near extinction. Frankly Lorna is going nowhere as a character in the comics and Magneto is going in a circle.

Going in the same circles is not what I am going to pay for. For Lorna its been a circle of failure and mediocrity and people always ask why is a 50 year old character hasn't taken off and been overtaken by a mountain of other x-characters? In the end because she isn't going to be the Jean of the x-books like some fans want nor the Storm of the x-books nor the Kitty nor Rogue of the x-books. Those slots aren't going anywhere.

Then what can she do? The early 00s were finding a new path, before they reverted and at least live action figured it out and there she could have been the series lead as Jean with green hair (its not going to happen on the X-Men and didn't even when Jean was dead, Lorna is not going to replace Jean or be coequal to her by being the same) and it doesn't work for the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I hate that we didn't get a final Magneto/Polaris scene. Magneto had a brief moment with Danger, and I wish we could have gotten something similar with Lorna.
    She had two goodbye scenes with Havok. A second scene after Cry Havok just dedicated to dealing with her helping him resolve his feelings about the inversion, but Lorna and the whole story line on Blue basically ended with fixing Havok's inversion. Her relationship with Magneto was always a faint.

The irony of the B list mother hen role for Lorna is its not a role writers and editors even really respect the character in. Its just the role they think is designated for her because that is the way it was nearly 30 years ago when the X-Men were at their high point.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

No Polaris in the issue despite being on the cover (as a victim)

The only thing redeeming this trash is that I know it's not Bunn's fault

That at least he put some decent characters on the Brotherhood

And that scene with the mutant child sticking up for Magneto in the future

Otherwise absolutely an abomination and people who like this are not fans IMO

Edit: Let me just say though, just as I notice Bunn threw in a bit of curveball/nuance both with the future mutant child admiring Magneto and with some of the Brotherhood composition being innovative...

I feel that Lorna was used in BLUE in SOME good ways for her. Making her seem powerful, strong willed, and able to lead. Those are pluses. You guys are really selling it short and I think have blinders on to say it was all about Havok. I just didn't get that vibe.

She dealt with Havok in a minimalist way IMO and it was appropriate really, I enjoyed their epilogue together I thought there was literally nothing to criticize about it from a Lorna perspective.

The only thing is we have no idea her views about her dad now

It's probable she will reject him and say "oh I thought he could change but he is back in a bad place" or something.

If we can get a good writer giving her a solo or Marvel wants to appeal to fans of the tv show they might give her a slightly different response
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 08-29-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

She dealt with Havok in a minimalist way IMO and it was appropriate really, I enjoyed their epilogue together I thought there was literally nothing to criticize about it from a Lorna perspective.

The only thing is we have no idea her views about her dad now
    You don't seem to understand being entirely focused on Havok's redemption doesn't mean she wants to get in bed with him. Being focused on fixing him and on his story was what she was there for and it was only what she was there for. We didn't learn about how she sees the world, what she philosophically thinks about anything. We had no real idea about what she thought about her dad before this as any morally ambiguous stuff he did she wasn't around for and their relationship was kept as superficial as heck. She generally has a positive opinion of her father, but underlying that basis was because he was her father not anything deeper and that is what you are missing.

I don't know what she really thought of 'dad' outside of a supposed emotional attachment because they are related before this arc AH which I already knew from Last Days.

I am not some fans and would have been fine with the redemption of Havok arc and it taking up her storyline if it led to anything better for Lorna after (which it didn't) or we learned anything about her from it (which we didn't). But, in the end I feel we learned nothing at all about Lorna from Blue.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-29-2018 at 12:51 PM.