Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Today is Day 1 of shooting episode 7 of season 2 of The Gifted
    Last edited by juan678; 08-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

She kind of looks like a doll there, almost a bit infantilized in that outfit (I mean the Cuckoo). But I'm glad they are warmly embracing and I *hope* the characters stay as war comrades and... maybe... something more? Just sayin. Also I am starting to think some of the Cuckoos will be more friendly with Lorna than others. Not sure if Esme will remain the "Head Cuckoo" but maybe.

Anyhow here are two extremely awesome music vids of Polaris (from the show):

Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Double Posted b/c Forum
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 08-06-2018 at 05:33 PM.

OBEY

Here is video #2

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

That's just a behind the scenes shot of Emma and Skyler. I don't think we'd ever see them like that on the show lol.

Nice vids

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Double Posted b/c Forum
    Good videos though when the forum hiccups as its been doing and spits out an extra post, one can edit into that post whatever future thing (in this case video) one intends to post.

That's just a behind the scenes shot of Emma and Skyler. I don't think we'd ever see them like that on the show lol.
    LOL, I am predicting Emma and Skyler's back and forth interaction will be the one of the biggest factors on which the show either successfully keeps and builds on the interest of genre fans on mass next season or not. They are playing up the Eclaris divide and the baby for the soap fans, but Polaris and the Frost's are clearly aimed at the genre fans.

The show managed to win the largest demo fan base of any super hero show, but the show could certainly use a larger hard core genre fan base along with the very necessary casual fans and I think next season and some of the choices and directions I am feeling just might ensnare it as long as viewers give the season a chance.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-06-2018 at 08:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks jmc and Heroine, for both sets of great posts.

I'm feeling like the old thread getting closed is a blessing. ...
    You're welcome. And yes, I suppose maybe, in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Some of art not posted in many years deserves to be remembered as well. ...

That's true, highlighting past, great efforts like you have is a must, and revisiting them will be a joy and an honor.

Really like this new piece, and its amalgam of Gifted's Polaris with recent, modern comics Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I haven't seen this one before. Really well done. I wasn't the hugest fan of this costume, but as I've said before, the green really pops against the dark colors. Love how they blended Emma Dumont's look with the comic book incarnation. Also nice to see more and more people realize just how underrated Polaris is as a character. Maybe more people will start demanding to see more of Lorna because of that.
    It is, and while I did like the updated look quite a bit, I wouldn't be opposed to something more distinctive of her character. Less uniform, and more personal apparel, I guess. And YES, using indigo and/or blue-violet with some black as base colors for her battle gear, compliments her green hair in a striking way and really makes it stand out. I agree on the last part as well, let's hope so.

BANNED

Cool vids, AN!! And on that pic Juan posted, I'm thinking flashbacks to their earlier lives, based off how they look.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... highlighting her most recent comics appearances, post 2015's Secret Wars:

... an enjoyable but only minor, alternate future version. Link... below the images... for the collected edition...

BANNED

For the second to last review I promised back in April of all the major depictions of Lorna.

House of M

When Civil War House of M came out in 2008 the only image of child Lorna in any universe came from the HoM universe.

As was the only underlying concept on Lorna's mother where we get a first peak of her and a second later in X-Factor 243. In the end the world was a Wanda tweaked version of the normal 616 reality. House of M Lorna came of age as a street fighter against the Sentinels developing a mutant gang to protect the neighborhood according to the official history.

She later teamed up with a bigger gang with Pietro, Wanda and Magneto (who was keeping the information from them all they were related). America at this point in time had become a nation where mutant slavery had become sanctioned by the government and it was in the end a nation that had thrown out its values to deal with the mutant problem..

They left the Earth to amass an army on Asteroid M because there was no safe place for mutants on Earth.

In the meantime Genosha had gone full on Nazi state in regards to mutants and were working with the Soviet Union to exterminating and enslave the rest of the population something even Professor Xavier couldn't abide by so Magneto manages to enlist his support for its liberation.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:25 PM.

They manage to conquer Genosha, but not without problems and the question becomes what to do next. Immediately go to war to liberate more mutants or build up as a world power.

A small conflict however between Magneto having a genocidal preacher killed by Sabertooth and the U.S. President sending a super hero team into Genosha for regime change leads to war between the United States and Genosha.

Victory is had and Genosha becomes like the new British Empire of the mid 18th Century dominating the world by its economic and military influence.

But, the series ends on a dark note questioning if this was the real dream in trading an authoritarian human dominated world for an authoritarian mutant dominated one.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.

House of M continued

The side minis in 2005 like Fantastic Four House of M show a family that has to deal with upstarts to the throne.

House of M Doom never has to endure the same hardships as 616 Doom so he is not quite so skilled and refined in his manipulations. Marvel over a half decade later attempts to explain House of M and Decimation as being masterminded by Doom, but that is a separate matter.

Doom sacrifices his family for a chance at ultimate power and gets neither.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.

House of M continued

Secret Wars House of M in 2015 did something the other series hadn't and that was show things in a domestic setting.

The highlight for Lorna was showing her as an extremely effective political operator, but the low light of the series was it seeming to reduce Magneto and Pietro's IQ for it about 40 points. It sort of was meant to be a Doom tweaked version that doesn't try to take itself too seriously unlike CW HoM and CW Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.

House of M Requiem

As a crossover it (and moreso Decimation though fans often merge the two in their heads) over time took on increasingly negative connotations among hard core fans as the moment at which the Marvel line shifted from something with mutants at the center of everything to something with the Avengers at the center. Though the start of Marvel Studios was still a few years away by that point. The decision for Marvel not to act in a collaborative fashion to rehabilitate Wanda (though did for Pietro) left lasting damage.

The story itself was derived by an at the time Avengers writer and Lorna's parentage had only been restored a few years prior so she was lucky to even get into the story (and most likely only did because she was near the high point of her popularity last decade) though she didn't have a meaty role in the main story compared to the rest of the family. Still if she wasn't included then and there she wouldn't have been in WATXM and its entirely unknown if her family backstory would have survived. Also, sometime in the next 20 years I have little doubt Marvel Studios will want to do a film at least loosely based on House of M using the title (though it could be quite different from the source material) and in that provides Lorna a way into the MCU if they hadn't figured out a way to include her before then.

The HoM main story though did deal with one historic issue for the character though that goes back to her original 1960s story. The loneliness of having the weight of the world on your shoulders.

She was told in her original story that to rule the world was a lonely endeavor and that unnerved her one could argue more then anything else. The Gifted is playing with the same themes of having to sacrifice being with those you love and care about to change the world for those you love and care about. The HoM showed a world where in effect she did give up any semblance of an ordinary life to change the world and then to help rule it.

Therein for Polaris was the importance of the series... oh and it provided some great visuals throughout.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.