Page 30 of 109 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

It's great to re-release 'em and I hope it means they are planning to do something NEW with our gal

Obviously they won't make her a "Magneto clone" in the comics not least of which being they just turned the real Magneto into a 1960s parody and no longer relatable...

But seriously they've got to get her closer to an antihero/rebel/maverick

ANd not a goody goody conformist (Jean Grey in RED had a subtext about breaking out of this mold and getting closer to her New X-Men version but so far as I can tell that has not really gotten implemented and was mostly empty teasing. meanwhile they've totally defanged x23 even, how do you accomplish that one marvel? but they've done it. good grief)

Pair her with Frenzy for example

Or Blindfold
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 09-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Thanks for sharing, Heroine. It's nice to see Lorna's early X-Factor days get republished. I do wish they would eventually release JM's tenure with the squad. He did a wonderful job with Polaris, even if it still had some flaws.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 09-05-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Despite how Austen's period was probably the best writing Lorna's had in the 616 so far, I lean toward expecting they're doing it because they're huge Havok fanboys at Marvel. X-Factor is the period where Havok was team leader, and Havok had a big role on Austen.

My opinion of Marvel is extremely low right now. I'm at a point where I'm starting to think everything they do involving diversity is just for PR purposes. The way they treat popular characters in the public eye is so very different from the regressive, constantly undermining way they treat Lorna as an "obscure" (arguably, after the TV show) character. The only times they ever appear to use her much are when they're about to throw her away for a few years, or when they want to promote Havok and use her to give him more of a boost. Because they're all Havok fanboys with no respect for Lorna as her own character.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It's great to re-release 'em and I hope it means they are planning to do something NEW with our gal...

... get her closer to an antihero/rebel/maverick...
    I hope so, too. And a BIG YES, to this!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Heroine. It's nice to see Lorna's early X-Factor days get republished. I do wish they would eventually release JM's tenure with the squad. He did a wonderful job with Polaris, even if it still had some flaws.
    You're welcome, and I would like that, as well. His work with her doesn't get enough accolades, and deserves more attention, for its mostly positive portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    ... Because they're all Havok fanboys with no respect for Lorna as her own character.
    Nah, I don't think that's true.

Ultimate Member

I don't see them as being big Alex fans at all, most of Marvel seems to have forgotten that he even existed over the last several years until it was either Bunn's idea to fix him or he needed to get back to his old self for the new Astonishing series and they had to rush to fix him as he was like about the only character that got left inverted when everybody else got fixed years ago, and even in Astonishing the official X-Men basically ignore Alex and the team and go out of their way to distance themselves, and from the previews that we've seen for the big event coming up Alex doesn't seem to play much of a part in it...

Who knows where they go with Lorna from here, though I don't think that she's going to be more of a rebel, if anything they'll probably try to bring her back into the fold so to speak, one way or another imho...

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Who knows where they go with Lorna from here, though I don't think that she's going to be more of a rebel, if anything they'll probably try to bring her back into the fold so to speak, one way or another imho...
    That'd be extremely the wrong way to go and if they have basic sense it won't be what they do.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Marvel never forgot about cosmic rings. He's been given a number of opportunities to headline books, while Polaris is left out completely. Trying to compare their situations isn't going to work in your favor.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 09-05-2018 at 06:40 PM.

That'd be extremely the wrong way to go and if they have basic sense it won't be what they do.
    Nostalgia vs a new way forward which will win?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    One has to look at the issues themselves of the trade being released and the marketing of them as in the covers and summaries.

The unstoppable Juggernaut has joined the X-Men! When Cain Marko summons the X-Men to help his criminal partner Black Tom Cassidy, he surprises everyone - including himself - by accepting his hated stepbrother Professor X's off er of friendship! And he's not the only new face at the Xavier Institute, as Northstar and Husk join the teaching staff, troubled young Sammy Paré enrolls at the school, and the comatose Havok is found -with a lovesick caretaker in tow! As the X-Men struggle with internal turmoil and Sammy bonds with Juggernaut, the team must face threats like Maximus Lobo, Alpha Flight and the Church of Humanity - who commit an act of savagery that shocks the X-Men to the core! Plus, Iceman and Archangel deal with startling secondary mutations - and an X-Man proposes!

COLLECTING: UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) 410-424, X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) 44-45

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Unstopp.../dp/1302916122
    Stopping at Uncanny X-Men 424 means stopping before any of Lorna's big issues come up. Not to say there is nothing good to be had for Lorna in those issues like her Purifier lite hunting, but the character was mainly being kept in reserve until the wedding pre-show. Uncanny #425-426, 430-431, 442-443 were her core issues of that run.

The wedding, the flashbacks to Genosha and her parentage issue, and of course ending in meeting her living family and stating her political views in her debate with Xavier. Now those issues would make for the best as yet unreleased Polaris trade. JM's run as well I agree Soulsword should be released in trade or at least the first 8 issues or so.

In terms of the X-Factor trade she is on the team cover and on the summary for who to look for in the issue so they are clearly using it as source material for what to look for Lorna in terms of new fans, which I can't say for the other trade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-06-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Nah, I don't think that's true.
    I see you're big into Astonishing, so I'll take that for what it is.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

Not saying that it's what I want to happen just that I could easily see Marvel doing it to some degree, especially if she's not with Magneto anymore, she could easily be the counterpoint to him, big events either bring the X-world together or blow it up, it's been blown up for the last several years so Marvel trying to bring it back together wouldn't be a stretch, and it's not like they've pushed any big agenda for Lorna that would be a problem for that line...

Not saying that their two situations are exactly alike, however Lorna isn't alone in every bad way that many here view that Marvel has treated her...

So then salarta it's an either or thing...

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    She and Ms. Samuels are dressed up beyond words for what they are filming now. We have 19 days until The Gifted season 2.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-06-2018 at 06:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    ... Who knows where they go with Lorna from here, though I don't think that she's going to be more of a rebel, if anything they'll probably try to bring her back into the fold so to speak, one way or another imho...
    It doesn't have to be one or the other, tho, it can be both.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... One has to look at the issues themselves of the trade being released and the marketing of them as in the covers and summaries.

Stopping at Uncanny X-Men 424 means stopping before any of Lorna's big issues come up. Not to say there is nothing good to be had for Lorna in those issues... but... Uncanny #425-426, 430-431, 442-443 were her core issues of that run.
    I didn't have time to check out the details, and only had the Reddit topic to go by. Maybe a second collection with those later issues, will come about, too. And feature Polaris more prominently, as well, on the cover & in the summary.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I see you're big into Astonishing, so I'll take that for what it is.
    Open-mindedness?

I didn't have time to check out the details, and only had the Reddit topic to go by. Maybe a second collection with those later issues, will come about, too. And feature Polaris more prominently, as well, on the cover & in the summary.
    I thought of that possibility, certainly based on doing character based trades on who Austen helped Juggernaut and then Polaris make the most sense, but until they do it its a check is in the mail type of situation.

We both know hard early 90s is in as is saints or demons writing to try to simplify storytelling in the Disney era. Based on what Jordan White has said about the X-Men once the realignment happens in terms of characters on the x-books only a very select few like Wolverine and Deadpool might get an exemption from the heroes vs villains stuff. Non X-Men also might get exemptions. For Lorna having any of her modern characteristics is only really possible if she is not an X-Man. In terms of the non core books it really has to be a mutant activism title to move the character forward even while the character is stuck on the B list. You aren't wrong there.

It will be a year before its all rebooted to fit what the MCU comes up with in terms of plans anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... For Lorna having any of her modern characteristics is only really possible if she is not an X-Man. ...
    But she was an X-Man in a core book, when those characteristics were at their most pronounced.