Page 4 of 109 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The House of M family is such a great concept. Hate that the just when Lorna was having meaningful interactions with her siblings in X-Factor, Marvel ruined it. I'm happy that we've started seeing the rapport between Polaris and Magneto being rebuilt, but I do wish we could have seen all of them interacting together as a family in the main universe. All we have is Magneto: Dark Seduction, but at the time Lorna still didn't believe/know that Magneto was her real father. I especially miss her deep friendship with Pietro.

I kept meaning to post about this, then kept forgetting.

When I was editing in links for my suggested reading list, I discovered that X-Men #50-51 is included in a collected edition of Magneto: Last Days.

https://comicstore.marvel.com/Magnet...al-comic/39968

It's intriguing to me how they chose to leave out #49 where we actually get introduced to her, but included #51.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The House of M family is such a great concept. Hate that the just when Lorna was having meaningful interactions with her siblings in X-Factor, Marvel ruined it. I'm happy that we've started seeing the rapport between Polaris and Magneto being rebuilt, but I do wish we could have seen all of them interacting together as a family in the main universe. All we have is Magneto: Dark Seduction, but at the time Lorna still didn't believe/know that Magneto was her real father. I especially miss her deep friendship with Pietro.
    That particular writer has done some works I like, but he decided to reduce Lorna fighting on Genosha and spending (Marvel time) six month there to that point to help the mutants there and being trained to use her powers by Magneto to being about a drug addition metaphor and a hunt for her long lost ex.

The story was also had major holes such as that everyone believes that Magneto has his own powers except Lorna at the start of it. Then they suddenly find out there is genetic equipment on Carrion Cove to fix his powers that they didn't believe needed fixing and suddenly his most loyal Acolytes are betraying him to keep him from being repowered (when they two seconds before thought he had his own powers) and Magneto is suddenly goes into rat bastard form when there was no real reason for it to happen other then to move the plot from point A to point B.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.

now

Dark Seduction wasn't good, but is the only time I can recall Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Magneto, all being together and interacting. Lorna, Wanda, and Pietro interacted during Austen's run, but Magneto was dead then. Though I believe Magneto's body was there when Lorna had that conversation with Xavier.

Dark Seduction wasn't good, but is the only time I can recall Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Magneto, all being together and interacting. Lorna, Wanda, and Pietro interacted during Austen's run, but Magneto was dead then. Though I believe Magneto's body was there when Lorna had that conversation with Xavier.
    You are correct its the only 616 time all four were together interacting and over the years. Oh and yes the body of Xorneto was a part of Darkest of Nights.

There should have been all four of them interacting as a family in the Children's Crusade/AvX era and then Lorna should have been on Genosha during Axis with Magneto, Wanda, Rogue, her ex, etc. when Red Skull turned it into an anti-mutant concentration camp. And, Lorna was kept out of the final Axis story as well and worse they acted like she didn't exist.

AvX actually had Wanda, Pietro, Magneto and Lorna in the story though Lorna's parentage was utterly ignored in the comic when she was fighting with Wanda and Vision and when Lorna was brainwashed by Emma and Magneto right next to her. It certainly played up Wanda and Pietro's connection to Magneto though. In the official Marvel audio version of AvX though they just put out it wasn't ignored.

Dark Seduction was in the end a Magnus family story set in the 1990s-2000 era and a number of firsts including the first time Wanda and Lorna interacted or thought about one another. Though it’s easy to give it a bit too much credit in terms of creating the modern template for the family and yes I have done so in the past.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Alot of fans especially international ones are increasingly arguing for Lorna's inclusion in Marvel Future Fight.

https://twitter.com/Marvel_FFightUS/...69257587707904

And.

Emma Dumont stuns in her new feature for Rogue Magazine in their summer 2018 issue.

The 23-year-old Gifted actress opened up about her role as Polaris on the Fox series, as well as what’s coming next on the show.

“I don’t know what’s not to love about her, she’s a badass and she does what she wants,” Emma says about her character. “I do have to say, even though most people might consider her a villain, I think she’s a great role model for young people.”

“She doesn’t follow the rules just to be a rebel. She doesn’t follow them because she doesn’t believe in them –because of her moral compass.

It’s not that she’s some wild west cowgirl just doing whatever she feels like.”

She adds, “Polaris has a strong set of core values that make every decision for her. She’s a ‘rebel with a cause’ let’s say.”

As for what’s next, Emma can’t say much at all. “Honestly, they don’t tell me much because I LOVE giving spoilers. Hehehe. All I know is there is a significant time jump from season 1 to season 2, and the mutant underground is still divided,” Emma shared. “I don’t know, but it seems like a war is coming. OH! Also, everyone has new hair this season! Which doesn’t seem that exciting, but trust me it is.”

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/08/0...fted-spoilers/
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.

BANNED

Yes, my worldwide brothers & sisters, FIGHT... for Polaris, in the FUTURE!

Liked that interview, and the seXy piX that came along with it, which gave me some strong HFC vibes. Emma D.'s the best, I just love her. We're so lucky to have her as Lorna's living avatar, and that she embraces it SO passionately. She's special, there is no doubt. 💚
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-07-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Happy to see people fighting for Lorna's inclusion in Future Fight! Hopefully Polaris can make her way into the game one day. All the X-ladies look really well done.

Since Future Fight talk is being brought up here, I'll mention that I've been posting screencaps of tweets about Lorna on my Tumblr for many months now.

http://salarta.tumblr.com/tagged/polaris-tweets

The Future Fight demands have been popping up constantly for a while now. It comes up in nearly every round. Marvel Champions gets it too but not as much.

X-Men Green led by/featuring Polaris still comes up, and got a revival when Black was announced. More and more people are demanding that Lorna get a solo book. People with dyed green hair get compared to Lorna quite often (including Marvel writer Leah Williams). She's very often on top/favorite character tweets. Also a lot of people REALLY want Lorna in the MCU, and Lorna and Wanda to get to interact with each other in films. She also comes up in talk about Jewish characters, suggested to be a lesbian or bi character, similar diversity matters.

A cool recent tweet was asking people who would win in a fight between the X-Men Gold team and Polaris. I think it says a lot that the idea of Lorna fighting a whole team of Marvel's go-to X-Men instead of just one of them says much of perception of her by the average person vs what people at Marvel think of her.

Oh, and the trauma she's endured and the contents of New X-Men #132 have each come up in meaningful ways. Overall random people on Twitter seem to have more care and understanding about Lorna than what's been seen out of Marvel. But as always, Marvel is perpetually 4-5 years behind the times.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    ... Also a lot of people REALLY want Lorna in the MCU, and Lorna and Wanda to get to interact with each other in films. ...

BANNED

Gifted's Polaris custom ML fig:

Plus, a collection of most her official merch, save the now eXpensive, full Bowen statue:

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post

The introduction of live action Polaris and her similarities to Wanda are noted by live action Wanda fans who never even heard of Lorna. The Gifted will continue and won’t be official MCU.

On one level it sets Lorna up as the family is put back together to again be the green headed step child of the family to Marvel Entertainment even with her being increasingly popular globally. On the other hand Lorna was not exactly a hot commodity to Marvel 2-3 years ago and was seen as basically a C list character to further other characters stories. An early introduction into the MCU was very unlikely under the circumstances that existed before.

If The Gifted has a successful run it will reach syndication numbers before being let go and Lorna will be a very well known global commodity with a solid basis in the public consciousness for the character. From there there will be pressure from fans across the globe to see that she does end up in the films in time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men 145-146

Although most of Lorna's history pre 90s is pretty bad, there was a bright spot that I think is a really fun read. I wouldn't call it essential, but its something that I don't think people need to avoid either. It's the only time in Chris' time with the X-Men that he wrote Polaris well imo. Xavier calls on a team of reserve X-Men, which includes Polaris, to go against Arcade and enter his Murder World, and save the loved ones/allies of the X-Men. Featured some pretty impressive feats for Lorna, and some overall nice moments. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... Marvel was preparing for a West Coast X-Men team at that time and a new ongoing and the team there would have likely been what made it up. Characters like Bobby, Lorna, Banshee, Havok, etc. that were left behind in the new era. Claremont was maneuvering for a different title New Mutants. It was the best Lorna was written during his run, but it also happened to be after that point we saw her deconstruction. ...
    Man, how I wish that had happened. Would've been an ideal lineup, for me. As luck would have it, I happened across something related, wherein I immediately noticed an astonishing similarity:

... to a modern & very recent release, which it bore a striking resemblance to. First thing I thought of was foreshadowing, and maybe even, sooner or later... history repeating itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Man, how I wish that had happened. Would've been an ideal lineup, for me. As luck would have it, I happened across something related, wherein I immediately noticed an astonishing similarity:
    Her years of heavy deconstruction and attempt to reform the character into something other then Polaris Mistress of Magnetism in the 80s didn't happen until the West Coast X-Men was deep sixed.

COMIC LEGEND: New Mutants came about because Marvel was considering doing a West Coast branch of the X-Men.

An important point that came up over and over in the early days of Marvel’s expansion of their X-Men line of comics, back when there WASN’T a “line” at all, just a single comic, was that Chris Claremont was not a fan of expanding the line. He knew very well that the more comics there were, the less control he would have over the characters. In the early days, when something like Wolverine’s first mini-series came out, Claremont specifically wrote Wolverine out of Uncanny X-Men for the duration of the mini-series.

Over time, his position slowly became “Well, if it is going to happen no matter what, then I might as well be the one who does it.” For instance, he never wanted Wolverine to have his own ongoing series, but if it was going to happen (and since Wolverine was so popular, it WAS going to happen), then he would write it (and come up with a way to make it distinct enough from the X-Men so that it wouldn’t feel as though it was overlapping with the X-Men adventures, hence the creation of the Patch alternate identity)…

They were still developing their plans, though, when another editor at Marvel forced the issue with the introduction of an idea for ANOTHER X-Men spinoff! The great Peter Sanderson had the story in his classic X-Men tome, X-Men Companion:

“Since the spring of ’81 Weezie (X-Men Editor Louise Jones) and I have on various occasions kicked around the idea of doing a second (X-Men) book,” writer Chris Claremont revealed in The X-Men Companion. “We decided to wait until we found someone (to draw the book) and then think seriously about putting it together.”

“We were afraid that we would go to (Marvel) and say, “Hey, let’s do an X-Men book,” and they would say, “Yes, but the only person available is…” somebody that we wouldn’t be interested in using,” Louise Jones added. “So we were going to keep our mouths shut until the spring. We were going to pick our people and then we were going to say, “Hey, we’ve got a book for you.””

“Right. With three issues in the drawer,” Claremont continued. “And what happened was that while we were pretty much solidifying the concept or at least getting it as much into focus as we felt we needed, Mark Gruenwald went into (Editor-In-Chief) Jim (Shooter)’s office with a proposal for an alternative X-Men book involving the “loose” members of the original team – Angel, Iceman, Beast, Havok, Polaris – and I suppose any other extraneous mutants that happened to be around, and setting them up on the West Coast as a kind of a…” “X-Men West,” Louise Jones cut in.

“And regardless of the individual merits of the concept, it was way different from what we had in mind,” Claremont continued. “Jim quite properly went to Weezie and said that this proposal had been made to him, and asked if we had any problems with it… or suggestions, or comments. Weezie pointed out, well, we had our own concept in the works, and we’d had it for quite some time. And Jim said, “Oh, okay, well, let’s hear it.” So then we had to put up or shut up.”

“And luckily at about the same time (artist) Bob McLeod had just surfaced (…) and the pieces all meshed together.”

New Mutants debuted at the end of 1982…

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-525/
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.