Page 41 of 109 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

No Lorna in any of the solicits. I was hoping she'd at least be part of the AOA inspired story with a new design

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No Lorna in any of the solicits. I was hoping she'd at least be part of the AOA inspired story with a new design
    That they intentionally missed re-releasing her best issues in trade which ironically says more to me then if she is included or not in a huge Phoenix Resurrection sized roster as wallpaper.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Actually, JDW said on twitter that Lorna would be in Uncanny.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I wish. That would be really good.

My ideal scenario is she is in X-Men BLACK though.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Actually, JDW said on twitter that Lorna would be in Uncanny.
    Oh, okay. Do you remember what he said?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Well that's something! Don't know the role she'll be playing in it, but at least we can expect to see her.

Thanks, Arachne!

No problem.

Thanks for posting JDW's tweet, Arachne. I would've done so myself but I got bogged down in personal matters. I'm glad to hear Lorna's going to show up in Uncanny, and his assurance that she's not blacklisted.

I still think it's ominous that we have all these characters with all their stuff out there, but we've seen so little of Lorna. Until JDW's tweet today, I had no way of knowing if that big teaser image for Uncanny would be the only place she shows up. On her 50th anniversary, with a popular TV show version out there, after being used to promote Havok in Blue, she shouldn't be as out of the picture as she currently appears to be. Any other character with this confluence of traits wouldn't be treated this way.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-18-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Blacklisted? Where the heck did that come from and why would anyone think she was?

Astonishing Member

I know it sucks when the current writers/editors don't like your favorite, but blacklisted is a little much. I can't remember any character getting an 'anniversary' issue/story ( maybe Wolverine or Deadpool) but anybody else? And mos she f the Austen stokes were awful, even if you liked lorna's parts.

Blacklisted? Where the heck did that come from and why would anyone think she was?
    Me, for the reasons I gave here. It's been several months, and the only place she's shown up for future projects is a teaser image for Uncanny X-Men - which wasn't confirmation she'd be in it either, since a writer said not all characters on that teaser would actually take part. The tweet today is the first we're finding out she might actually be in something.

This is in conjunction with the things I said in my previous post. And what Marvel is doing and has recently done with other characters. Compared to what Marvel has recently done to Lorna, and is not doing with her now.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I know it sucks when the current writers/editors don't like your favorite
    And then the next set of current writers/editors "don't like your favorite," then the next, then the next, then the next, then the next. Suddenly it's been 50 years and she's lucky if she's in anything.

Why did it take Marvel 44 years to finally tell her origin story, when other characters like Havok had theirs told decades ago? Why is it okay that Lorna was stripped of her more feminist angle (for the 60s) by later writers, and Marvel never does anything to give that back to her? The decades-long pattern of toxic ideas of her getting reinforced, or much-needed stories never getting told, is a direct consequence of "the current writers/editors don't like her."

Austen and Nix are good models for how things should go with Lorna if someone doesn't like her. Both of them thought of Lorna as just "the girlfriend" at first. Both of them took time to actually look closer at the character. Both discovered there's a hell of a lot more to her than the toxic first impression they got from past poor treatment of her.

I know from direct personal experience that "writer/editor doesn't like your favorite" isn't acceptable. There are plenty of characters I've written that I didn't care any which way about when I started, but by the end, I loved the character because I saw their great qualities during the writing process. If Lorna isn't someone's first pick, they just need to be encouraged to understand she still has value and still put in effort to find and show it. Hell, Peter David didn't want Lorna in the 90s, and he ended up writing a great origin story for her.

Lorna is an amazing character and she deserves much better. I'm not keen on the idea of having to wait until I'm in my 90s to see Lorna finally get things that characters like Magik and Blink and Longshot got 20-30 years ago.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-18-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

No offense but I think you're overreacting. Blacklisting is a harsh term and implies theres some mandate at top that she not be used at all. The fact is Lorna's presence in the books has largely been dependent on if a writer likes and wants to utilize her but she often is nowhere near the head of the pack. Bunn is gone and I havent seen any evidence to suggest that the 3 writers spearheading the X-line going forward have any affinity for her. I HIGHLY doubt their is a current policy in place that Lorna not be used all. Most just dont care about her the way we fans do

I know what the term means. I saw it in exactly the way you define it.

I'm taking JDW's word for it that she's not, since he took the time to reply and say she isn't.

All else I'll say about this is that recent history at Marvel tells me it's very possible. There's Marvel's treatment of X-Men and Fantastic Four content while Fox owned the film rights. There's also Brevoort excluding Lorna from the Magnus family (especially with Children's Crusade and Avengers vs X-Men) until the Axis forced retcon on the twins. He even went as far as having a House of M image redrawn to remove Lorna. The question isn't whether or not it's possible or likely, but if it's happening. Which, again, I'm going to take JDW's word that it isn't.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-18-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    At best she'll show up in the background zapping something with a magnetic bolt of energy.
    Unless she is tied into the story or connected to the core cast that sounds about right.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-18-2018 at 08:20 PM.