Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Episode #10: eXploited

the_gifted_winter_finale.jpg

The entire group argues over what to do since Dreamer, Blink, Andy and Lauren have all gotten captured by the SS following last episode's disastrous raid on Trask HQ.

Lorna wants to immediately rush in and "bust some heads", one of the Strucker parents snaps asking rhetorically if she's crazy... that was not wise of them

Lorna is basically triggered and orders the Strucker NEVER to call her that

TG-Caps-1x10-eXploited-32-Polaris.jpg

This is basically Lorna just telling Marcos she does not trust or like working alongside scumbag humans like the Struckers

Their idiotic and misplaced trust in attempting to convince Jace will never succeed

Even if they do just want to get their kids back...

Lorna says they need to worry first and foremost about their own (probably mutant) child

normal_TG_S1_E10_0575.jpg

And here it is, one of the MOST pivotal and revealing scenes of the entire season in terms of Lorna's fundamental feelings and views

Basically telling Marcos that the Struckers are counting on "human decency" , and she no longer believes in such

When Marcos goes into a typical "Good Guy" spiel about how he was in the Cartel he knows how vengeance never helps....

Lorna just gets up stares right into his face, tear running down her cheek,

And announces she will NEVER accept living in fear. Not for herself. Not for him. And DEFINITELY not for their kid.

Extremely important and moving scene

Basically "worth the price of admission" for this episode

Frankly that's basically all for Lorna in this (otherwise extremely important) episode

Like I said before it along with episodes 8 and 9, while scarcely focusing on her, does manage to continue building those threads of her feeling alienated and detached from the rest of the Underground, not to mention humanity itself

And her becoming ever more willing to employ even deadly force against perceived enemies

Almost like.... she is just waiting for a match to light her flame of rebellion as it were...

That match just might arrive soon in the form of a certain telepathic blonde....
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

In the discussion with JDW two days ago, he brought up how hardly anyone tweets to him about wanting more of Polaris. One of my points was that a lot of people that want more Lorna don't tweet to him or other people at Marvel for multiple reasons. They don't think Marvel people will listen or do anything. Or they aren't currently invested in the comics enough because Marvel's put them off. Things like that.

Last night, I decided to do something to make my point. I made a Tumblr post of cases I've seen of people who clearly have an interest in Lorna and want more of her.

Tweets Showing Interest in Polaris

For several months now, I've been screenshotting tweets I come across on Twitter and posting them to Tumblr. I technically started in December last year, but only really started doing it regularly earlier this year. I have over 200 tweets saved now.

From those over 200 tweets, I narrowed it down to 72 following three criteria.

• No Gifted tweets
    • Only one tweet per user
    • Minimal cases of her on top 10 lists - because if I had saved all of them, it would've been annoyingly repetitive

Here are a few prominent examples from that list.

It's just a taste of what I see every day, because I now search Twitter daily for these tweets. This is just a taste of how this wonderful, amazing character has reached so many people out there and consequently why I'm so ticked off at Marvel for treating her like she has no value. They're ignoring all these people who think she deserves better, that she should get a solo, that see her as wonderful emotional support in their lives and a character that inspires them, just cause they personally don't care about her.

And you will notice, most of these cases are users not contacting people who work at Marvel.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Philip Jimenez: Polaris in her best 60s (70s?) drag.

Lorna's classic outfit... the real classic outfit.

That brings back some original story line as well as Genosha era memories.

Question of the day which of Lorna's most important issues in her history did this artist draw.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Philip Jimenez: Polaris in her best 60s (70s?) drag.

Lorna's classic outfit... the real classic outfit.

That brings back some original story line as well as Genosha era memories.

Question of the day which of Lorna's most important issues in her history did this artist draw.
    This is stunning! Love that its all in black and white except for her hair, really makes it stand out more. Phil always does an amazing job.

oops. Meant to add this to the previous post! Sorry about that, but to answer your question jmc: New X-Men 132! Loved his rendition of Jean and Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    oops. Meant to add this to the previous post! Sorry about that, but to answer your question jmc: New X-Men 132!
    Correct.

New X-Men 132 in the ruins of Genosha.

Loved his rendition of Jean and Lorna.
    It was powerful.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-22-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Episode #11: 3 X 1

the-gifted-3-x-1-1069259-640x320.jpg

Lorna gives a brief speech at Dreamer's impromptu (and body-absent...) funeral

Basically saying she could have assimilated into human society but chose not to, to be a mutant and live with other mutants, her "true" family.

TG-Caps-1x11-3-X-1-41-Thunderbird-Eclipse-Polaris-Shatter.jpg

When the Cuckoos arrive and fully reveal themselves to the Underground, most of the others are aghast and shocked

Well at least Marcos and the Strucker parents are for sure

But Lorna looks at them with some admiration and respect, smiling some

TG-Caps-1x11-3-X-1-57-Eclipse-Polaris.jpg

Marcos is once again fretting and tut-tutting as is his specialty

Oh no oh me oh my, the Frosts, oh gee whillickers, they killed some agents, they want to team up, we are the good holy people oh no

Lorna snaps him back to reality by pointing out he's just mad Esme tricked and tazed him , hahahahahahahaha

And then she gets into how her bottom line is they get results (implying the Underground does not... savage yet accurate)

And maybe that's all that really matters now

OBEY

TG-Caps-1x11-3-X-1-80-Polaris-Esme.jpg

Here it is folks, it's "the big" scene

One of the Cuckoos (probably Esme?) uses her mutation to wake Lorna up in the middle of the night and compel her to walk outside

Where she is waiting for a chat. Lorna does not attack her or alert others but does seem wary and cautious/confrontational

Esme is essentially "working" Lorna over to her way of things, and despite Lorna being the perfect "tsundere" (look it up if you don't understand), it's obvious that Lorna does share quite a lot of Esme's perspective already.

Lorna does do her level best to try to remain aloof and skeptical however even pointedly asking Esme about whether she works for a terrorist organization

Esme chuckles at this and then begins to give Lorna some real facts about her parentage.... !!!

Lorna seems to have always been semi aware of it though, and despite shrugging this information off, it's clearly affecting her

Esme leaves by reminding Lorna this isn't a popularity contest, it's a war

Lorna now alone notices her mutation is beginning to evolve

TG-Caps-1x11-3-X-1-86-Polaris-magnetism.jpg

Lorna is sitting on the steps of the Underground base flexing her new "muscles" by slamming shut the vault effortlessly

Marcos comes up to her expressing concern that she is having another manic episode

Lorna gets slightly offended but just smiles it off telling him she's "never been more sure" she isn't (which... could be construed easily as a sign she is having one? her mannerisms in this scene really do suggest it)

She informs him the unborn child is powering her up somehow (ridiculous but any excuse for her powers to not be stopped by nearby plastic or a drone that is, say, 1000 feet away... I'll take it)

TG-Caps-1x11-3-X-1-118-Polaris.jpg

Fly, baby, fly !!!

Lorna when she arrives with the rest of the Underground to rescue the Struckers (they haplessly walked right into yet another trap... sighs)

Gets blasted into the air by a Hound duo

Now here is what bugs me about this scene

We just got done establishing this major power up for her

We were literally shown and explained in detail in episode 3 she can levitate herself using her abilities

WHY can't she save HERSELF here????

It would be so much more impactful and show like... her confidence and her sort of independence from the rest of the Underground, how she is different from them. Better, even. Essentially doesn't NEED them. How she is capable of yknow... taking them all on in the future perhaps a la Magneto... sighs. What a wasted opportunity.

But in the real version of events, the idiot show writers have her helplessly fly to the ground until the glorious hero Thunderbird catches her

The ONLY redeeming thing about this is that it can be considered "irony" especially later on in season 2 if and when Lorna starts to seriously turn against the Underground, like Thunderbird caught and rescued what will become a mortal enemy

Ok ... well I can't find a picture of it but I could swear at the end of this episode there is a scene where the Cuckoos basically are offering the assorted members of the Underground the partnership to work together and end the Hound program

And Lorna is basically nodding and agreeing to it

Overall thoughts on the episode: important evolution (or devolution depending your PoV) of her character, increasingly becoming attached to the Cuckoos mindset of wanting war on humankind and fight back against oppression with everything the mutants can do

Remarkable how she just dismisses Marcos so much

I just realized every episode 8 9 10 11 has had a key Lorna-Marcos scene where she essentially tells audience her changing views through Marcos

That will continue in episode 13 as well , and will truly be a "definitive" talk between them

OBEY

Lorna

Hopefully Lorna does make a meaningful appearance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-23-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Polaris, Sage, and Surge? Cool

OBEY

Episode #12: eXtraction

hqdefault.jpg

This is the pic I wanted for last episode. Where Lorna is hearing the Frosts plans to work with the Underground , and while Marcos frets tuts and is otherwise in a moral panic, Lorna is just pleased as punch

TG-S1_112-11-EM_0117_hires1_FULL.jpg

This is the ironic scene where Lorna reassures Marcos "nothing can come between us", "just do this for me ok"

Haha. Good stuff

TG-Caps-1x12-eXtraction-31-Polaris-Esme-magnetism.jpg

This is Lorna freaking out a bit and destroying her temporary bed

Esme got her into a 1 on 1 conversation, but strangely Lorna was being very stand-offish (still?)

When Esme pressed her about how Marcos may be concerned, but that doesn't mean he knows what's best, Lorna snaps and orders Esme to "stop talking about my FRIENDS" hence the bed destruction

Instead of becoming scared or worried about Lorna's outbursts though (like most of the Underground would be) Esme admires the expression of power and praises Lorna for her deep reservoirs of inner determination owing to the pregnancy

OBEY

TG-Caps-1x12-eXtraction-45-Thunderbird-Polaris-Eclipse-magnetism.jpg

Lorna joins the rest of the "crew" to intercept some rich human and use his face ID and all that to enter the Humanity Today conference to get to Campbell/Montez

She grows increasingly pissed at him as they discuss beforehand, summoning knives to her hand remarking "this will be fun" prompting Thunderbird to warn her some, but Lorna is undeterred "I will play nice... if HE does"

Her role in the operation though is actually (once again) fairly minor and to be honest underwhelming. All she does is fling her knives into the tires of the car. I mean come on.

You have the Mistress of Magnetism here and all she does is that???? She could have stopped the entire car by herself, flung it into pieces leaving their target sitting on a leather cushion in the road

Now THAT would have been intimidating!

TG-Caps-1x12-eXtraction-66-Blink-Polaris.jpg

Here is silly Blink trying to almost do a "reverse Esme" and start to work on Lorna again but from a different PoV (ironic given the recent revelations Blink joined the Brotherhood, plus Blink wanting to fight the entire last few episodes... silly show, turning characterizations topsy turvy at a whim - presumably now Blink is "all about that Thunderbird" and so gives up on her wanting to actually fight back... groans)

However we can tell Lorna has been *seriously* affected by Esme's words re: her parentage

Even though Blink tells her your DNA doesn't matter, you define yourself by your own actions, Lorna is still lost in thought about who she really might be or become

nam7hqnk0jcem7dfglws.jpg

I dare you to look at this and tell me that is NOT the face of an emerging supervillain

Go ahead

You can't, can you?

"They look so happy", "Nothing brings people together like hate"

Lorna is becoming increasingly convinced that humans are fundamentally "lost" and mutants will need to take matters into their own hands to emerge victorious as she with Esme's blessing shuts down all the communication devices around the conference

And that is it for her important scenes in episode 12.

Overall thoughts? Uh extremely awesome episode. Lorna is sliding much more directly into the "darkness" now and it is delightful watching

OBEY

I think people are misinterpreting JDW's Tweet. He's saying that characters like Polaris, Sage, and the rest will get the spotlight when a writers feels as passionately about them as their fans do. Everything he said prior to that implies that no one really feels interested in Lorna at the moment, and isn't inclined to push for the character because he'd rather the writers use characters they want to use.

There's an old adage in Hollywood that you should never work with children or animals, but Nix admitted that the logistical challenges of working with a baby were far outweighed by the emotional impact of seeing Polaris with her child this season.

"Working with newborn infants is ridiculous. It’s just incredibly hard. That said... when you see the baby in episode one, seeing a mother holding her child, knowing that someone is fighting for that baby, it’s irreducible, you know? It’s just like, 'wow,'" Nix said. "No joke, we’re doing this show with special effects and superheroes... we could have a huge laser fight with portals and everybody’s flying around, and wire work, it would be way easier than showing an infant on screen. But for the sake of what we’re doing, the emotional connection of Polaris to that child - and ultimately Eclipse as well, and even some other characters over the course of the season - it’s just worth it."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/...eclipse-powers
    Clip at the link... also is she fighting for that baby as stated? It sounds like she is fighting to protect the babies immediate health and protection this season which she could do from the Underground and she will not be fighting to create a better world for that baby for the bulk of the season (we will see about the end of the season). If she doesn't it will make the schism seem kind of manufactured and artificial if Lorna is not doing the things she has broken with the MU in order to do.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-24-2018 at 08:40 AM.