Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Its nice to see that Lorna will be developing bonds with the other members of the Inner Circle. I've always loved Polaris and Andy, but its nice to see that her relationship with Esme will evolve from last season.

I really wish we could get a book with Polaris and Danger acting as headmistress to a group of X-kids. I think their teaching methods would be hilarious to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Madripoor
    The O5 fight alongside the Raksha. Polaris and Danger reveal that they rebuilt the mansion and invite the Raksha to be students at their new school. Beast has a romantic moment with Glazing Nightshade and she says she'll miss him

This is a good final moment for Lorna. Much better than what I thought was the final moment, that scene focused on Havok months ago.

If Blue had followed a path to this point, with scenes that involve Lorna actually being about her, this could've launched into a new book about Lorna leading a school and team.

One other positive thing concerning Blue that I hadn't realized until now is that Bunn handled the dynamic between Lorna and Danger better than Peter David did. Peter David was trying to push Danger as a coming "break out star" and in ANXF #4-6, Lorna was treated poorly in part for that purpose. Bunn didn't have that issue at any point between these two characters. I'd still say what happened to her with Havok is much worse, but it's worthwhile to note positives when seen.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Derrick Barrows: Polaris from The Gifted on Fox. I'm really enjoying this show, almost caught up to the new season.

Nathan 23

As for Blue it was a nice nugget to end the run.

Its nice to see that Lorna will be developing bonds with the other members of the Inner Circle. I've always loved Polaris and Andy, but its nice to see that her relationship with Esme will evolve from last season.
    The Esme and Lorna relationship will interesting to see grow yes. It will do the character alot of good as well given I think it will long term seed relationship ideas for comic Lorna.

Anyway in the preview she seems to have black hair at some future point.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-27-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Polaris 50th anniversary factoid

With Lorna's 50th upon us its time for a not much known factoid. Jim Steranko didn't do all of Lorna's original Queen of Mutants/The Devil had a daughter issues.

Then what happened?

There was a creative vision clash about the story line and he left in the middle of it. If one wants to know exactly what the creative vision clash was over one would have to ask Jim. He will be at Baltimore comic con this weekend. I actually long believed that Devil Had A Daughter art given the major effort was likely a planned cover which ended up inside X-Men 51 instead of being used while a cover that had nothing to do with the story ended up on the X-Men 51 cover.

https://twitter.com/iamsteranko/stat...67335596920832

Today in Instagram Samuel Skyler many Question Gifted Esme, Sepford Cuckoss, emma and Polaris example

Skyler Samuels: “I think the thing I like most about Lorna and Esme's relationship this season is while Esme has sisters of her own I think she finds a sister in Lorna in a way she didn't expect to and they forge a really cool bond."
    The video at the link from Juan’s Gif above who didn’t see it before.

SyFi interview with Matt Nix on season #2

Newsweek Review of the first episode

GQ Interview

Overall very glowing reviews from the press and high ratings on the fan sites. Though alot of people didn't know a new episode was on.

‘The Gifted’ Star Emma Dumont Opens Up About ‘Scary’ Mutant Labor Scene
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-26-2018 at 06:31 PM.

BANNED

I like it! Polaris & Esme = the sister I never had. Or in Lorna's case, the one they took away.

Red had a surprising update on Genosha. It's a continuity error, but I hope the next writers keep it around.
    I'm still hoping for Polaris to take center stage in the reconstruction of Genosha as a nation for mutants and other oppressed people. Instead of being teachers in Madripoor, I'd much rather have Lorna and Danger there.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Red had a surprising update on Genosha. It's a continuity error, but I hope the next writers keep it around.
    I'm still hoping for Polaris to take center stage in the reconstruction of Genosha as a nation for mutants and other oppressed people. Instead of being teachers in Madripoor, I'd much rather have Lorna and Danger there.
    Genosha already showed up in Phoenix Resurrection which yes didn’t follow what Bunn supposedly did, but we didn’t see the island sink we were just told it did in text boxes.

In terms of Genosha showing up in Red what happened?

Genosha was by far and away Lorna’s best storyline because at the end of the day it covered a half decade of moments through multiple comic runs, brought her in contact with characters she never interacted with or hadn’t in many years, restored her parentage, gave her something to fight for, and actually moved the character and her worldview forward.

It was able to get back to her original 60s queen of mutants concepts in a modernized way that led to pretty much all the characters positive developments last decade and has had a huge impact on all media adaptations.

But, yes she isn’t in the position of her father in the 80s coming off a popular militant phase, with connections throughout the MU and working as headmaster to a bunch of teens while moonlighting as the White King. He was already extremely popular and could afford to be a headmaster for a few years, Lorna might have been in a similar boat in 2006, but isn’t today.

Lorna in the comics needs serious rebuilding as a character along with Genosha itself. I don’t see that coming without her doing something that utilizes her political hat, mutant activist hat, has her interact semi consistently with some big names. Utilizing some of her original storyline themes is always a plus as well.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-27-2018 at 11:26 AM.

I'm hearing Dark Phoenix is ripping off Polaris' origin story, making Jean's powers come about by causing an accident that kills her parents along with playing up mental health issues. If this is true, I'm assuming this is Marvel's fault in some way and I'm not at all surprised, because it's typical Marvel behavior. See something great done with Lorna, rip it off and put it on some other character they have more respect for vs the complete lack of respect they have toward Polaris.

Also explains why they absolutely refuse to acknowledge and use all of what Lorna's gone through, the myriad traumas and mental health issues. Covering Lorna like they're supposed to be doing would highlight how Dark Phoenix is ripping off the origin story that it took 44 years for Lorna to finally have told.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

In Red, Nova was using Genosha as a base of operations with Forge, and then upon discovering their location, Storm sent a tidal wave towards the island. Genosha didn't look anything like Bunn had established in his Uncanny run if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    In Red, Nova was using Genosha as a base of operations with Forge, and then upon discovering their location, Storm sent a tidal wave towards the island. Genosha didn't look anything like Bunn had established in his Uncanny run if memory serves.
    Genosha should be a pile of sea dirt as per Bunn's run as Magneto completely blew it up

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm hearing Dark Phoenix is ripping off Polaris' origin story, making Jean's powers come about by causing an accident that kills her parents along with playing up mental health issues. If this is true, I'm assuming this is Marvel's fault in some way and I'm not at all surprised, because it's typical Marvel behavior. See something great done with Lorna, rip it off and put it on some other character they have more respect for vs the complete lack of respect they have toward Polaris.

Also explains why they absolutely refuse to acknowledge and use all of what Lorna's gone through, the myriad traumas and mental health issues. Covering Lorna like they're supposed to be doing would highlight how Dark Phoenix is ripping off the origin story that it took 44 years for Lorna to finally have told.
    I think it can still make for a great film and Lorna will still have her backstory and it's up to writers who care/know to explore it and promote her

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Genosha should be a pile of sea dirt as per Bunn's run as Magneto completely blew it up
    I have no problem with that particular instance of ignoring Bunn's work. Genosha is important and should not be destroyed
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

... Nova was using Genosha as a base of operations...
    The NERVE!

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I think it can still make for a great film and Lorna will still have her backstory and it's up to writers who care/know to explore it and promote her...
    Perhaps Gifted will beat DkPX to the punch:

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I think it can still make for a great film and Lorna will still have her backstory and it's up to writers who care/know to explore it and promote her
    The problem is that taking it from Lorna to give to Jean means that in the future, if Lorna actually gets her story told, many people will falsely believe that Lorna ripped it off from Jean. Same as how some people that didn't know Imogen Heap's music and didn't look around thought her song Hide and Seek came from Jason Derulo's song that sampled hers.

It could make for a great film, but that's a separate issue from where the story elements used in the film came from.

I also find myself wondering if the reason Gifted hadn't done the plane crash for their interpretation of Lorna during season 1 was because Dark Phoenix called dibs on the concept to be used on Jean.

Overall, I'm being very conscious of all the little indignities, intentional or not, that lead up to a character like Lorna having things taken from her while she's treated poorly. It's how she ended up in a state where she didn't get her origin story told til 44 years later, why Marvel acts like she's not viable for a solo/mini/oneshot when she's at the height of demand for it (and much higher than many characters they've given solos), etc. This aspect of Lorna and her history means too much to me to let it just be taken from her like so much else has been taken from her already.