Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Ok so her radical transformation occurs in episode 4 good to know.

She is still just the concerned mom in 2 and 3 but in 4 she starts to take action, cuts hair, seems more angry etc

We'll have to find out more because then Dumont said she was still "weighed down" by mothering up to like ep 8 or so , but maybe episodes 4-5 are a mini break where she gets action scenes

I remain concerned about ratings

And there is an increasing anti The Gifted drumbeat by the MCU fanatics as well

Although I was pleasantly surprised by the response to the "this season on The Gifted..." video on the Marvel youtube channel.

Sometimes when these vids are posted on there (or on the Marvel instagram) the highest voted comments are extremely negative rude and basically trolling but this time the Like : Dislike was really positive and the top comments were all positive as well
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-01-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Who cares what Youtube/Instagram people have to say? They aren't influencing anything and are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. They have their opinion and we have are own. Its best not to get bogged down by that stuff.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Who cares what Youtube/Instagram people have to say? They aren't influencing anything and are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
    Are you sure about that though? I think it matters when a video with like 100,000+ views has like really pretty awful stuff said right under it

I can't prove how much it matters but I've seen more casual people get swayed either way by these kind of things

I mean... I think companies actually do "astroturfing" for reasons, because it does have some effect
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Talking Happy 50th Anniversary 616 Lorna Dane!!! 1968-2018

Uncanny X-Men #49 Oct 1968
    First appearance of Lorna Dane in "Who Dares Defy... the Demi-Men"

Although the X-Men have been forced to disband by orders from the FBI, Angel still can't help himself but return to the X-Mansion.
    While lost in thought, Warren becomes aware of a ticking sound and finds that Cerebro is still active and running.
    To his shock, it's reporting a high concentration of mutants, prompting him to try and get in touch with the other X-Men.
    Straining to send out his thoughts, he manages to make a connection with Jean via her telepathic powers and
    creates a psi-link between them and Scott, Bobby and Hank. However, Jean couldn't pick a worse time to contact Bobby and Hank
    who are out trying skydiving. The momentary distraction makes it too late for Hank to pull his ripcord and deploy his parachute;
    however he is saved from a fatal fall when Bobby uses his ice powers to slow the fall.

While far in San Francisco, we learn that this gathering of mutants are led by a man named Mesmero,
    who is amassing a mutant army to rise up and take over humanity, and apparently is under orders by Magneto himself.
    Needing to recruit more mutants for this army, Mesmero uses a psyche-generator of
    Magneto's own design to send out a call to latent mutants to awaken and heed his call.

Among their numbers is one Lorna Dane, who in a trance like state almost walks out into traffic and is saved at the last minute
    by Bobby Drake, who has come to San Francisco with the rest of the X-Men. When Lorna realizes that she has unknowingly traveled
    1200 miles from home, she agrees to let Bobby take her back to the apartment he's rented out with Hank.

Hank is less than happy that Bobby has brought the girl home, with the pending arrival of Warren, Scott and Jean to investigate the
    influx of mutants in the area. However, when the other X-Men arrive, it appears that Lorna has fallen asleep, so the X-Men leave Hank
    behind to work on a portable Cerebro machine while they go and seek out the location of the mutant gathering.
    When they arrive at the mansion that Mesmero is operating out of, the X-Men are attacked by members of his Demi-Men army,
    who pledge an allegiance to Magneto during the fight. After a brief battle, the X-Men manage to defeat the Demi-Men,
    however Warren is injured in the fight and the X-Men decide to return to Hank's apartment to see if he has finished building the Mini-Cerebro.

Hank has indeed finished the miniature Cerebro machine, and it instantly starts picking up a mutant nearby.

To Hank's surprise, it's Lorna who has just come out of the shower. She reveals her green hair, having used dye to cover it up.
    Hank covers up for his secret identity by telling her that he's a friend of Bobby and that he is on his way to a costume party.
    When the other X-Men arrive, they reveal to Lorna that she might be a mutant and then decide to investigate if somehow Magneto is
    still alive with the mini-Cerebro unit. Lorna does not recognize Bobby in his Iceman form and Beast once more covers for their secret identities
    by telling her Bobby is on a secret mission for them. When the X-Men leave, Iceman is left behind to keep an eye on Lorna.

Right after the X-Men leave, Iceman and Lorna are ambushed by Mesmero and some of his Demi-Men.
    When Iceman uses his powers to try and defend Lorna, he is easily overcome by Mesmero's mutant hypnotism.

When the evil mutants approach Lorna, she panics until they stop and begin bowing down to her in worship.

Script by Arnold Drake, pencils by Don Heck and Werner Roth, inks by John Tartaglione

If you want to believe that, that's fine. You can find negativity anywhere, and these comments are far from unique or exclusive to only The Gifted. I'm sure Fox is looking at other things when it comes to The Gifted, not whatever has the highest Youtube/Instagram likes.

Lorna's lookin' pretty fierce in that episode 4 picture!

Lmao at her comment on [RETRACTED]/Lorna. She really sees them for what they are.
    It's a good reminder that new Lorna fans often don't realize how bad certain things in her history were until they've had time to dig deeper and get a better understanding. She was talking it up in the very beginning, before she got a better look.

Which also adds to what I've said about the Marvel Unlimited "reading list," and which issues of Uncanny X-Men from the 00s are about to be printed in TPB. It's all conveniently Havok-centric and trying to steer people toward old regressive attitudes of Lorna as "beneath" him or defined by him.

The irony is that Marvel's just proving everything said about how Havok is bad for Lorna, how Marvel's mistreated Lorna for decades, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    And there is an increasing anti The Gifted drumbeat by the MCU fanatics as well

Although I was pleasantly surprised by the response to the "this season on The Gifted..." video on the Marvel youtube channel.

Sometimes when these vids are posted on there (or on the Marvel instagram) the highest voted comments are extremely negative rude and basically trolling but this time the Like : Dislike was really positive and the top comments were all positive as well
    Honestly, youtube comments, and youtube in general, are trash. That's not support for Gifted, it's just calling things out as they are. Youtube puts MRAs and stupid conspiracy theory garbage out there as recommendations, and comments for all sorts of good videos are notoriously flooded with trolls and haters. This is why a lot of people disable comments on their videos.

I've seen complaints about the writing and actress outside of youtube, but none of that is the sort of thing to bring up here. I'm mostly letting all of that take its natural progression and watching from afar.

Also: insofar as Marvel's behavior, I've come to realize that what we're dealing with right now is a test. Lorna's in a slump where it's very easy to become demoralized and think things are hopeless. The reality is that Lorna fandom needs to show it's not going away, and push through Marvel's lack of support to the other side. I suspect Lorna fandom failed this test in the mid/late-00s, but now's a chance to pass the test. Part of that is remembering that managing to bring about better things for Lorna isn't going to happen overnight. It'll take time and effort to fix decades worth of mistreatment, but Lorna's absolutely worth it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Lorna's lookin' pretty fierce in that episode 4 picture!

Lmao at her comment on [RETRACTED]/Lorna. She really sees them for what they are.
    Emma is answering questions today.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Although the X-Men have been forced to disband by orders from the FBI, Angel still can't help himself but return to the X-Mansion.
    While lost in thought, Warren becomes aware of a ticking sound and finds that Cerebro is still active and running.
    To his shock, it's reporting a high concentration of mutants, prompting him to try and get in touch with the other X-Men.
    Straining to send out his thoughts, he manages to make a connection with Jean via her telepathic powers and
    creates a psi-link between them and Scott, Bobby and Hank. However, Jean couldn't pick a worse time to contact Bobby and Hank
    who are out trying skydiving. The momentary distraction makes it too late for Hank to pull his ripcord and deploy his parachute;
    however he is saved from a fatal fall when Bobby uses his ice powers to slow the fall.

While far in San Francisco, we learn that this gathering of mutants are led by a man named Mesmero,
    who is amassing a mutant army to rise up and take over humanity, and apparently is under orders by Magneto himself.
    Needing to recruit more mutants for this army, Mesmero uses a psyche-generator of
    Magneto's own design to send out a call to latent mutants to awaken and heed his call.

Script by Arnold Drake, pencils by Don Heck and Werner Roth, inks by John Tartaglione
    Thanks for the write up, it came out the 10th of the month 1968 according to Marvel.com, but its sort of the anniversary month or one can argue the next few months are all sort of that way.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-01-2018 at 05:32 PM.

We'll be seeing more of Lorna flying! Really excited for that.

Ok begin part 1

[

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    First appearance of Lorna Dane in "Who Dares Defy... the Demi-Men"
    Thanks for the great post of pages and summaries, 616! Going over her great issues that set her foundation and emphasize where she was used well is a great idea for celebrating her 50th.
    Last edited by salarta; 10-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)