Page 56 of 109 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Guess who wasnt excluded from this variant?

UNCANNY001-QUESADA.jpg

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Don't care too much for the art, but its nice to see Lorna there. Love that she's in her original costume, and not the generic X-Factor costume of the 90s.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

She is in a pretty good spot/pose too
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    ... Love that she's in her original costume, and not the generic X-Factor costume of the 90s.
    Which is interesting, 'cause it's a Joe Q. joint that's actually from then.

BANNED

BleedingCool.com, Prescient Joe Quesada Draws Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant 2 Decades Before Needing It
    ... Joe Quesada... actually drew this cover back in the mid-nineties as promo art. ... thankfully, we’re currently in a 90s nostalgia-driven phase of publishing for the X-books, so everything worked out perfectly. ...
    JMC's worst nightmare's coming true, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Which is interesting, 'cause it's a Joe Q. joint that's actually from then.
    Yes, I recognized Joe Q's art. He did draw Lorna in the early 1990s and by editorial standards during his reign he seemed to like the character probably in part due to drawing her. His era was the closest to Lorna being a mainstay character since the 60s. I also notice there some 60s characters we don't see much including Mimic, Sunfire and well even I forget the last one I think it was Changeling.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Yes, I recognized Joe Q's art. He did draw Lorna in the early 1990s and by editorial standards during his reign he seemed to like the character probably in part due to drawing her. His era was the closest to Lorna being a mainstay character since the 60s. I also notice there some 60s characters we don't see much including Mimic, Sunfire and well even I forget the last one I think it was Changeling.
    If Im not mistaken, it includes every character that had been an X-man up until that point in the 90s except Magneto and Thunderbird

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Oh I didn't realize that was Joe's work. I've seen him do better, but its not the worse that's been released.

If Im not mistaken, it includes every character that had been an X-man up until that point in the 90s except Magneto and Thunderbird
    You aren't mistaken.

In that era they were trying to forget that Magneto had ever been an X-Man. It almost seemed like an editorial order to do so.

That cover had a reminiscent feel to it for me as he has put it out many years before as some of his work though I guess not as an official Marvel product until now. As for the rest one would have to be almost blind to not see the heavy 90s nostalgia going on right now. The Resurrection era was heavy into the 80s nostalgia and that certainly impacted Lorna's story line, how much the era change impacts things for the character remains to be seen.

The last era didn't uniformly enforce 80s nostalgia otherwise X-Men Red with Casandra Nova, Genosha, etc. all early 00s concepts would have never been allowed. Blue and Gold were heavy into the 80s themes though.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-02-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Wanted to do a Hellfire Club piece and go for an old Victorian era painting vibe

BTW all, this is my last posting of a new The Gifted thread I plan on doing for some time going forward, I had planned on it being a rolling official new episode thread, but it seems others don't want that, but I am going to need others to start them up.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-02-2018 at 05:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... the last one I think it was Changeling.
    Yeah, I think so. Speaking of, is that supposed to be Revanche/Kwannon behind him, I wonder?

And poor Kitty, she's so buried, I barely noticed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    ... its not the worse that's been released.
    It's better than most so far, IMO. Waitin' for that Jim Cheung one tho, TBH. The Chiang cover's pretty good, and Pacheco's isn't too bad. Had some issues with Bartel's, and thought Liefeld's was a hurried, half-hearted disappointment, overall. But none of 'em have been great, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Guess who wasnt excluded from this variant?

UNCANNY001-QUESADA.jpg
    I'm surprised and pleased. She's included for once. It's acknowledging her value and history with the franchise in this manner.

I don't like that she's opposite Havok with the same base pose, given it implies they're opposites to each other. But in this case, that's a minor quibble. Her inclusion matters more.

I like that she's wearing a variant of her iconic costume, and more importantly, I really like that the color glow from her powers is showing on Xavier's face. That's a great detail.

I'm not sure if I'll buy it though. Lorna being on a cover used to be enough for me back in 2015.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Isn't that T-bird, behind Iceman?

Yeah, I think so. Speaking of, is that supposed to be Revanche/Kwannon behind him, I wonder?

And poor Kitty, she's so buried, I barely noticed her.
    Joe Q didn't have a great love for her and she sort of suffered when that cover was made in the 1990s from Jubilee's rise and other factors. Recall she wasn't a mainline in X-Men TAS the way she was intended to be in the earlier version of the X-Men animated series in more late 70s/early 80s form.

Characters suffer from the rise of others when they sort of fit into the role of a previous character. Lorna suffered from that when All New X-Men came in. Actually she suffered from it again in the Utopia era when she was in space and Magneto sort of fit into the obvious role she could have played on the island and later hunting threats to mutants with her early 2000s developments. Lorna's popularity among comic book buyers of the early to mid 00s was thus fairly lost by early to mid this decade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Isn't that T-bird, behind Iceman?
    I looked for him and I missed but there you go