Page 63 of 109 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

I don't like the term, but there happens to be people's 'head canon' for ideas that won't happen in the comics other then maybe for a 2 issue Exiles story (there was an vampire Lorna in Exiles after all). There are people's ideas that are simply too complex and complicated to make it to print without a Lorna solo comic being given freedom from current thought bubbles restrictions and also being given MCU characters promotional boost and sales cut off levels.

Nothing wrong with such ideas and they can make for great fanfic, but I find it important when thinking about Lorna's steps forward how to get from point C to point A in a fashion that is possible short of banking on Kevin F. deciding in say 5 years he is going to make a Lorna solo film. In terms of the comic version going forward, its obviously easier when they get rid of the Axis retcon, but who knows when that will be.

Lorna's next push be it a mini push such as for an arc or a more substantive push as a regular needs to capture fans imagination, be willing to do things that get fans talking about the character (Lorna's last two runs had their moments, but in the end didn't really get fans outside of hard core Polaris fans talking). The success of Lorna's early 2000s story is that it did get even non-Polaris fans talking for several years about her and it opened up all sorts of doors. Whatever she does shouldn't play it safe as safe could fly in the 1991 market, but not today.

But, there is a difference between not playing it safe and damaging the character the way Milligan did or Claremont did.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

She really needs to be leading her own team. The school things is cute, and I appreciate it being something new for her, but I don't think its going to do the character any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    She really needs to be leading her own team. The school things is cute, and I appreciate it being something new for her, but I don't think its going to do the character any favors.
    Its an interesting idea, but yes there were reasons her father's stint training and mentoring the New Mutants worked. Namely it was a very very different market, he was coming off a popular militant phase for him and they let him have duel track stories one as teacher for the New Mutants and one as White King. Take away any one or two of the factors that made her father's stint running a school a success it wouldn't have been.

In terms of leadership its a good idea... but overall the character needs a clear understandable goal to achieve and to work from there. It also helps if that goal and what she does keeps her in reoccurring contact with characters outside the usual suspects. Then there is what many fans would like and what is more realistic given her current level of support at Marvel.

I suspect if we had a vote Polaris fans would like her to lead a core team on a major x-book. But, her level of support at Marvel publishing among other factors isn't going to allow for that as we both know. The next best thing in my view is leading a side team that interacts with major X-Men teams in various ways and allows the character a building year or two that she can lobby towards something else.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2018 at 10:05 AM.

My current plan is to stop buying anything associated with Disney that I can after this year until Polaris gets a mini, solo, one shot, or leads a team book. I think I’m being overly accommodating with that plan, because with her history at Marvel and her current popularity, she deserves an ongoing solo book.

I’ll still buy things that include Lorna IF it treats her well AND it’s a meaningful role (appearing in some random background doesn’t cut it anymore), but that’s not enough for me to remain open to Disney content beyond her. I need proof that Marvel deserves money and support. I don’t see that lately. Especially after what happened to Wendig.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

art by Magickmarker

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by Magickmarker
    Good comic, and it makes me think of the sole Polaris-based black spot to Austen’s otherwise excellent use of her: having Lorna blame Nurse Annie for Havok leaving her at the altar, something that was either entirely Havok’s fault, or Annie’s kid’s fault via mind control, depending how you look at it.

Thanks for sharing, juan.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

lol @ the "Magnetrix are for kids" shirt.

I always like these touches by Magick. They’d make good shirts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ... Again... for an AU story
    It'd have to be, as something similar, already showed:

Also, keeping Disassembled in mind...

... The school thing...
    ... could very well end up being a fail-safe, contingency locale.

Meta.

And everything she says in it, is true. When it comes to infidelity, the one that cheated on you is to blame, not who they did it with.

Ultimate Member

The sad thing about the school is that it's probably going to be a target for the next villain to come along if it's even remembered at all by other writers...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    The sad thing about the school is that it's probably going to be a target for the next villain to come along if it's even remembered at all by other writers...
    Or not. But either way, we should have more of an idea, soon enough.

Ultimate Member

Like I said it's only a probably, just given the history of schools in the X-verse they have a tendency to be targets and get blown up, especially ones that we could easily never see or not see much of...

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Like I said it's only a probably, just given the history of schools in the X-verse they have a tendency to be targets and get blown up, especially ones that we could easily never see or not see much of...
    This is very true. But maybe we can see Polaris deal with such an attack and help repel it alongside Danger or whoever else, possibly even the students

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    It'd have to be, as something similar, already showed:

I totally forgot about that actually but yeah that is sort of similar. Not exactly though but yeah somewhat.

I like the AU format for the concept I got from that image because I feel like the story would have to conclude with basically things happening in a pretty irreversible way that wouldn't ever be permitted in canon

Plus yeah the vision of Lorna I got off that image is NOT like a morally conflicted grey character but more a "demoness" of sorts, almost "possessed" somehow
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-15-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Ultimate Member

Do we know that the students even agreed to go to the school, I remember that she offered it to them but I didn't think that their reaction was very positive...anyway the X-mansion is routinely destroyed and the students that Lorna would have would have other places to go...and I'm not sure that the other writers would care enough about any school that Lorna had in Madripoor, maybe thinking it easier to just get rid of it...and would future writers view her as a teacher either...