Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1634

The month changes into the anniversary of Hail, Queen of Mutants X-Men #50.

And, the variant cover homage is altered. It reminds me of the old question if Lorna's developments in 2002-2004 would have been possible in the modern era with Marvel being a massive company owned by a bigger company? Nah.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-uncanny-x-men
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-01-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm not too shocked they changed it...but what is she wearing lol? Its odd looking. She kinda looks like a gymnast or something.

I'm not surprised by the change of costume, but it makes me think of an 80s woman jazzercising to "Push It to the Limit."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    That's an interesting quote, and is something that can definitely line up with Lorna's character. Thanks for sharing!
    The polices in the quote are all middle of the road 90s era policy stances other then the implementation. The proportional response quote is probably the most controversial, when a government tries to do such policies it doesn't tend to be an issue... for an individual to do so... it means say Purifiers don't end up well after shooting at you. Proportional response is a good term to use for how Lorna long dealt with threats I will say that much.

I'm not too shocked they changed it...but what is she wearing lol? Its odd looking. She kinda looks like a gymnast or something.
    One shade of green doesn't look that good no. Its how I sometimes feel with certain versions of her space outfit. Many of the core features are good, but not always the implementation if it looks like a monochromatic smock.

A Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver Marvel Legends three pack seems to be coming. It won't surprise me in the least if after the buy out is concluded the retcon doesn't come down in short order. What that means for Lorna unless she has friends at Marvel willing to go to bat for her might not be so good in the near and medium term even if they don't try to retcon her parentage away at the same time. Long term I have no doubt it will be good once the sun sets on views of Lorna trapped in her worst eras as a character about who she is and what her importance happens to be.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-01-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Random aside, I realized this morning that if the X-Men were real people, they would be eager to have Lorna on their teams in any capacity they could possibly have her. They know what Magneto's capable of, they know Lorna's more amenable to their causes than her father, and they know she's more trustworthy in that sense. Realizing this is a good reminder for me of how writers, editors and corporate can make decisions in regards to character use and "value" in their eyes that don't at all fit what would actually happen in any given situation.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The polices in the quote are all middle of the road 90s era policy stances other then the implementation. The proportional response quote is probably the most controversial, when a government tries to do such policies it doesn't tend to be an issue... for an individual to do so... it means say Purifiers don't end up well after shooting at you. Proportional response is a good term to use for how Lorna long dealt with threats I will say that much.

One shade of green doesn't look that good no. Its how I sometimes feel with certain versions of her space outfit. Many of the core features are good, but not always the implementation if it looks like a monochromatic smock.

A Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver Marvel Legends three pack seems to be coming. It won't surprise me in the least if after the buy out is concluded the retcon doesn't come down in short order. What that means for Lorna unless she has friends at Marvel willing to go to bat for her might not be so good in the near and medium term even if they don't try to retcon her parentage away at the same time. Long term I have no doubt it will be good once the sun sets on views of Lorna trapped in her worst eras as a character about who she is and what her importance happens to be.
    This is odd, why would they change it? I suppose she was wearing what was left of her green Genosha costume when she was first found.
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Emma convinced fans to do some amazing cosplays, way too many to post all of them, but a sample.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpprIt5A2mt/

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    This is odd, why would they change it? I suppose she was wearing what was left of her green Genosha costume when she was first found.
    Its not the early 2000s. Even a tiny naked Lorna with everything covered I thought was a bit much who now owns Marvel as well as the social media era where a dozen people angry at any side for anything real or just they want to troll about can cause grief. Soon all X-Men IP is going to be much more risk adverse to anything that isn't 'back to basics' or proven to work.

There is a reason why Magneto is sitting on an asteroid for the 5th or 6th time again and Emma is back in charge of the Hellfire Club. In terms of Lorna I do think Marvel is a bit vexed because she hasn't been working the way she should of generating excitement not like she did in the early 2000s the last time she was respected by other characters from Xavier to even Wolverine and a growing mass of fans.

I actually think you need the right combination to get back there of starting things off the way they did in the early 2000s of Lorna fighting for mutant rights off the X-Men for a little while and lobby that to her working on the X-Men and ride it for a few years though right now isn't conducive to that. Magneto doesn't want her on Asteroid M and the only other game in town one can figure that out.

I think PAD realized correctly Lorna needed something in his run with her that would make her not entirely trusted that she had to overcome, but playing up too hard the is she insane card on its own didn't really work out because it lowered her competence and created a is she or isn't she crazy line that was hard to take. Milligan made the same mistake where you had a relentless by Wolverine, Emma, and others questioning of Lorna's sanity along with Lorna's outbursts which I felt simply tore down Lorna's character. Carey and Bunn were big on Lorna and possession, which always runs into the obvious issue it always has that Lorna has zero ethical responsibility for what happens under possession and feeling really bad about it isn't going to inject drama into her relationships.

On one hand they are all right that Lorna needs something bigger then herself to overcome... on the other some things just don't work out so well for that. Genosha worked for Lorna for alof of reasons, one of the biggest was because she had done things so differently and saw things so differently then the mainline X-Men it entered in a serious question if Lorna and Wolverine/Xavier/Rogue/Jean could get along because what they believe was that divergent in areas.

For the most part they did get along which I know you liked and Lorna was a fun character in 2003/2004 even between the moments of depression. She didn’t aways get along with Xavier and Wolverine though usually did and it at least interjected drama typically absent from such relationships... and it can’t be said enough the character had fun then, was enjoyable to read, and made no apologies for living life in 2003-2004 like each day might be her last.

The years post Genosha that Lorna stayed on the X-Men were not a given. They weren't handed to the character. It was earned along with her popularity back then. Wanting to bypass critical components in broadly speaking how it was earned has been a repeated mistake of the modern era, because even if the feeling is justified Lorna's biggest problem in the comics in the modern era is that its not the era where one can just toss a character out there and expect her to work even under a great writer. Too many x-women have already made it with established fan bases for that to work.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-02-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Yeah, it was great to see people dressing up as Polaris for Halloween. I love that The Gifted is really building Lorna's fanbase.

I don't suspect she'll be included, but I'm kinda hoping that Lorna shows up in Magneto's Christmas story. Could be nice to see them sharing a family moment, though like I said, I'm not getting my hopes too high that'll happen. Odds are she won't be popping up at all.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, it was great to see people dressing up as Polaris for Halloween. I love that The Gifted is really building Lorna's fanbase.

I don't suspect she'll be included, but I'm kinda hoping that Lorna shows up in Magneto's Christmas story. Could be nice to see them sharing a family moment, though like I said, I'm not getting my hopes too high that'll happen. Odds are she won't be popping up at all.
    Really wish she had been in his BLACK one-shot somehow
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I'm fully expecting Lorna won't be in a Hanukkah story even though she obviously should be. I've picked up the attitude Marvel generally has toward her. It's the key reason I ended up deciding to commission a Polaris minicomic instead of just a single birthday image. I'm making it because Marvel refuses to make what people actually want.

I'm glad she wasn't in Magneto's oneshot though. It was written by Claremont. I don't trust him with Lorna given his history of treatment toward her.

Ultimate Member

Though is Lorna even Jewish, yeah Magneto is but since she grew up without knowing that he was her dad I could see her not being Jewish...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Though is Lorna even Jewish, yeah Magneto is but since she grew up without knowing that he was her dad I could see her not being Jewish...
    It's part of her ancestry. It would be a perfect story of an adult woman discovering her heritage after the fact and wanting to learn as much about and from it as she can.

But Marvel doesn't like nice things.

Lorna's father is Jewish. Her being Jewish or not shouldn't prevent the character from being present when he celebrates something that is important to him.

Ultimate Member

Perhaps, then again have we often seen Magneto as a practicing Jewish person, and yeah Lorna could want to learn about her heritage and all...or not...guess we'll find out...

Polaris redesign by lorna_moose. Here's the link to their Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFtEGlqtgjb/

I saw this posted on Tumblr and had to share. Hopefully they don't mind that it was posted on here. Love the color scheme of a darker purple and green, and the ANXF style glasses meshed with the headpiece. Really great work. A very contemporary design for Lorna, and something I'd love to see her wear in the comics.