Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1634

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I believe CC wrote the flashback, where this scene was presented, and the main writers weren't involved in it (I'm assuming, don't know for sure.).

That being said, Polaris' history can't be changed. She was with Havok at the time, and had been present at Scott and Madelyne's wedding. She had a connection to the family, and it was just a throwback scene. It doesn't really bother me, and I'm no fan of them together.
    Thanks for pointing out that it was (likely) CC, and not the main writers. It's important details for me to know.

I know Lorna's history can't be changed. However, history does not need to be changed for her to not be stuck next to him on a panel. This isn't "let's redraw the House of M portrait to remove Lorna from the family" stuff like the Avengers franchise pulled. Jean (relevant as who Madelyne was modeled after) currently isn't her friend. Cable isn't her kid. Havok isn't (and shouldn't be) her boyfriend. This is a moment she doesn't have a strong stake in, so there's no reason she can't be off the page.

On the flipside of this: Marvel's repeatedly done storylines that involve Genosha this decade, yet they haven't acknowledged Lorna's history with Genosha in any of them. Axis happens, Lorna's fighting a hate wave instead of fighting Red Skull for having the gall to exploit the tragedy she survived. As I understand, Jean recently had a storyline involving Genosha as well, yet Lorna didn't come up at all. Or if we talk just Havok-related scenes, Marvel recently conveniently left out the parts of Austen's run in reprints that involve Havok having left Lorna at the altar.

Why should I be expected to accept Lorna on this page with Havok because "history can't be changed" when Marvel's fine with changing history to exclude her from Genosha or to omit Havok leaving her at the altar?

There's another element to this, though. In addition to everything I said above, this is a 'testing the waters' kind of move. "Oh, Lorna with him in this scene is fine because it's historical? Sweet, then let's do tons of flashbacks to the Claremont era where they were a couple, and make that most of the scenes where we include her." I'm not expecting anyone else to see it this way, but I'm always eager to get ahead of the curve on things like this.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-06-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I just thought Lorna's outfit was cute tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Around Havok. Because of course.

I don't know about other people, but I'd rather she wasn't on the page at all if it means being around him. Havok has a reason he needs to be there, Lorna doesn't. Havok's presence on this page is that of a brother seeing his nephew. Lorna's presence serves no purpose except to be the girl dating Cyclops' brother.

I would've been fine with it before Blue. Not anymore. I'm done with this kind of thing. And this is a good example of why I now wait until I find out more before I buy something from Marvel just because Lorna happens to appear in it.

Keeping the writer names in memory for future situations.
    Why wouldnt she be around Alex? This is an odd complaint given the timeline. She wasnt close to Scott and barely knew Maddie; Alex is her obvious connection and the only reason why she'd be around for a Summers family reunion. She was his longtime girlfriend at the time; it made sense why she would be traveling with him. It was a short sweet moment and it was nice to include her. There was nothing offensive about it to Lorna that fans should be upset about

I just thought Lorna's outfit was cute tbh.
    Sorry if it reads like I'm attacking you, by the way. That's not my intent. I just sometimes come off more intense when I write.

I can agree about the outfit. Just not the context of where she's wearing it. It was better on Astonishing (if I remember the color correctly; I'm too lazy to pull up the digital copy to check).

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why wouldnt she be around Alex? This is an odd complaint given the timeline. She wasnt close to Scott and barely knew Maddie; Alex is her obvious connection and the only reason why she'd be around for a Summers family reunion. She was his longtime girlfriend at the time; it made sense why she would be traveling with him. It was a short sweet moment and it was nice to include her. There was nothing offensive about it to Lorna that fans should be upset about
    My point is that she didn't need to be on the page at all if her only reason is Havok.

Inclusion is only nice to me if she gets something out of it. In this case, she doesn't. She loses something from this. She "gets" visual reinforcement of Havok forced on her to make a couple that always damages her for Havok's benefit. Blue recently proved this as Havok hijacked her return, and most of her use revolved around putting him on a pedestal, where the good things it did were either in service to his promotion or severely undermined by said promotional effort. Before Blue, it was their time in space that proved it. Before space, it was the early parts of when Havok was "dead."

I'll think this kind of scene is cute and sweet after a) Lorna gets a solo, mini, oneshot or leads a team book of her own, and b) she's spent a looooong time apart from Havok to better establish her own character and greatly minimize the chances of being treated like a minor supporting character for his stories. Until then, to me things like this are just more signs that Marvel is beholden to toxic nostalgia for this pairing and they're looking for ways to make it look acceptable and put Lorna back beneath him.

And, again. I'm still waiting for Marvel to acknowledge Lorna's history with Genosha in the actual story of comics. They somehow can't seem to find anywhere to do that while they have no problem doing stuff like this.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Sorry if it reads like I'm attacking you, by the way. That's not my intent. I just sometimes come off more intense when I write.

I can agree about the outfit. Just not the context of where she's wearing it. It was better on Astonishing (if I remember the color correctly; I'm too lazy to pull up the digital copy to check).
    Oh, I didn't take it that way. I was just saying why I posted it.

It does remind me of her outfit in Astonishing.

Polaris in Uncanny X-Men #5 Preview. Thanks to Gambit, King of Thieves!

Really wish people would remember Lorna's costume wasn't meant to be all the same shade of green. The torso is supposed to be darker. Excited for the showdown between Lorna and her Dad. Hope it goes well for her.

Congratulations on 10,000 posts Havok83.

It matters little now until her number is potentially up for a title at the end of next year or after, but it remains the case Lorna without her Genosha pathos is going to suffer the same fate as previous Lorna pushes without built in drama attached. Genericness, wallpaper and eventual limbo or being placed in the role as girlfriend again.

The Gifted L + 7

Ep 9: Live+7: 3.241 million viewers, 1.11 adults 18-49 rating

Ep 8: Live+7: 3.504 million viewers, 1.14 adults 18-49 rating

Ep 7: Live+7: 3.195 million viewers, 1.04 adults 18-49 rating

Ep 6: Live+7: 3.707 million viewers, 1.20 adults 18-49 rating

Ep 5: Live+7: 3.318 million viewers, 1.06 adults 18-49 rating
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-14-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Congratulations on 10,000 posts Havok83.
    I didnt even notice but thanks!

Really wish people would remember Lorna's costume wasn't meant to be all the same shade of green. The torso is supposed to be darker. Excited for the showdown between Lorna and her Dad. Hope it goes well for her.
    Different shades of green is something she could do with. Also, I still support something similar to Kris Anka's redesign concept just without the bits that are taking from Magneto.

The more I think of it, purple could be a good color for her casual civilian attire.

When Tan created the costume, he had the torso a darker shade, and the legs another shade. Silva draws a wonderful Polaris, I just wish people remembered how the costume was supposed to look. Otherwise it looks boring and uninteresting.

Molina, or whoever colored his work, did a wonderful job with it.

And yes, I'm totally here for seeing Lorna in more purple. It looks good on her.

Lorna in teaser image

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Lorna in teaser image
    Thanks for posting the teaser!

Astonishing Member

Different shades of green is something she could do with. Also, I still support something similar to Kris Anka's redesign concept just without the bits that are taking from Magneto.

The more I think of it, purple could be a good color for her casual civilian attire.
    Back when Adams and Cockrm drew it -- it was more metallic -- and darker -- and her hair was a light green -- so there was a nice contrast. In these recent images -- she's way too monochromatic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Alex Summers happens to be Catholic. Its not a stretch that when in AZ with him for many years (and I have been out there in NW AZ) that she went to service with him as there are Catholic Church’s and missions built by the Spanish around many towns, but virtually nothing for Jews unless one wants to drive a few hours if you don’t live near a city like Phoenix.

So no I disagree with you it’s a sign she must have been raised Catholic as I know about the candles and I was not raised as such though have been to Catholic mass with relatives and friends.
    Again, that is my guess based on the scene (and admitted lack of expertise in regard to Havok's religious upbringing). I don't recall where it took place, but if it was in the Southwest that would help explain why she chose a Catholic church over any other. And even if she wasn't raised Catholic, she may have converted for Alex. Catholics are fairly strict regarding what you can and cannot do during mass -- so she would have had to convert if she wanted to take part in Holy Communion.

I assume Lorna's mother was not Jewish given her last name. So unless she recently looked into her heritage, which is very possible, Lorna would likely not observe Jewish customs and holidays. It would be a interesting point for a writer to visit in the future. I wasn't aware of adherents.com, but the site currently classifies her as Jewish Catholic. Pretty sure they based the Catholic part on the same scene I mentioned. I think it's also very possible that she hadn't been inside any church for a long time before and after that scene. Seemed to come out of left field.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Polaris.html