Page 18 of 324 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Read both Astonishing Annual and Extermination. I really liked both.

spoilers:
    The whole vibe of nostalgia mixed with a dark/sad kind of feeling in Astonishing is something I'm really into. I know some people here hate Phoenix Resurrection, but it's something I really liked there on the first issues. I think it's one of the things Rosenberg does well. Also really nice to see the adult O5 back together in general. You can see how much they changed but also how much they're the same. The X mind wipe shennanigans are starting to annoy me though. First the whole Astonishing run, now this... Are we seriously gonna need another whole bunch of issues/storylines of him meeting the X-Men like it was the first time?...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Extermination... Damn. I wasn't expecting Cable's death. It was so sad to see Rachel and Jean's reactions. Definetely not the kind of Grey-Summers family reunion I was expecting... The art though... Both Jeans look fire.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Wiccan; 08-15-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Adult Jean looked AMAZING when she showed up in Extermination.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Yeah, I wanted to avoid the behavioral modification part. I find it just hard to believe X was able to easily do that to adult Jean. Puts it right there wit No-Girl erasing Spider-Man's secret identity from Rachel.
    I will give X a pass for now. Since it was stated, this annual is between PR and X-Men Red. Since Jean is still in a state of confusion between being dead for a long time and coming back to life just recently.
    I sure hope this does not become the norm where can easily be handled this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Adult Jean looked AMAZING when she showed up in Extermination.
    Agreed. Best panel

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

yeah that's badass.
    And I am so excited for Jean crashing down upon here enemies with the fury of a mother bear and the power of... well, the power of Jean Grey.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Astonishing felt really bitter to me. I don't know if I can recommend it.

Extermination was GREAT! If you're here for Jean and her extended family it looks like it's going to be a must-read. Adult Jean looks ready to unleash some righteous fury in the coming issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Not just Jean, the remaining adult O5 got mind-wiped at the same time and they were all wide-awake at the time.
    I felt like warren didn't get mind wiped.

Just finished reading Extermination & the AX annual.

Loved Jean’s worrisome & caring interaction with Jeen upon “hearing” her psychic scream, their relationship almost feels more mother/daughter than Jean’s relationship with Rachel. Her reaction to Cable’s death, her addressing him as “my son”, God that just felt so right. I hope she gets her own jab at Ahab, for Cable, when they finally confront him.

AX annual was good, a tad boring though. I agree with others on here when they say it was more of a Charles-centric storyline rather than focusing largely on the O5. Anybody else enjoy Bobby’s little “nostalgic” nod to the DP Saga?? Enjoyed that playful little exchange.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Just finished reading Extermination & the AX annual.

Loved Jean’s worrisome & caring interaction with Jeen upon “hearing” her psychic scream, their relationship almost feels more mother/daughter than Jean’s relationship with Rachel. Her reaction to Cable’s death, her addressing him as “my son”, God that just felt so right. I hope she gets her own jab at Ahab, for Cable, when they finally confront him.

AX annual was good, a tad boring though. I agree with others on here when they say it was more of a Charles-centric storyline rather than focusing largely on the O5. Anybody else enjoy Bobby’s little “nostalgic” nod to the DP Saga?? Enjoyed that playful little exchange.
    But it wasn't Ahab who killed Cable, it was the baby Cable...

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    But it wasn't Ahab who killed Cable, it was the baby Cable...
    But Jean doesn't know it yet.
    I wonder why teen Cable killed Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    But Jean doesn't know it yet.
    I wonder why teen Cable killed Cable.
    assuming that was Cable. It could very well be Stryfe

Probably the same reason he's capturing the teen 05 which is probably to preserve the timeline or some junk. If you're preventing a bad future it's possible killing your older self can wrap around to you eventually not having to actually do it...or something.

Since the O5 are the target of this I wonder if young Jean will be the last O5 standing and adult Jean will finally witness young Jean’s pink powers if she uses it in this event.
    First X-Lady

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jollygoldfish View Post
    Even KT? Reading that quote on the Uncanny thread where she called Jean a pedestal character while saying pedestal characters are boring and her enthusiastic gushing over Scemma made me sick to the stomach. She's obviously not a Jean fan. Still fully expect her to sideline Jean and shove Scemma down throats if she's handed the franchise. Barf. I'm open to changing my mind bur haven't seen anything on her twitter that would make me think otherwise. In fact, her twitter account reinforces my assumptions.
    Yes, even with KT. KT is a very good and very professional writer and she wrote what little of Jean we saw in Mr and Mrs X very well, and other than that I think that people have been taking the 'pedestal character' thing and blowing it way out of proportion. Yes, Jean was a pedestal character the entire time that she was dead, and that was a problem. But the thing to do with pedestal characters - and I suspect that KT knows this - is to take them and, well, take them off of their pedestal. The character themself doesn't often place themselves there - and Jean certainly didn't. Plus, she has Brisson and Rosenberg who both appear to be fans of Jean and write her very well as a buffer on the off chance that she does dislike her.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey