Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
It was interesting that editorial pulled that move. Death in comics tends to not hold very much weight. If an important character dies, there's a good chance we'll see them alive again at some point, and for many novice Marvel readers, Jean personified this. So it was a massive subversion of expectation to have her death go on as long as it did (with the caveat that she was obviously pulling a few strings from the WHR).

There are two theories for that.

1) Jean was the heart of the X-Men, and losing her made everyone else lose their way, leading into the eventual Schism.

2) The interpersonal problems of the team were too severe, and Jean was the only one who managed to keep things level.

Either way, hard not to say that her being gone only made the interpersonal problems of the team worse.
Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
I can't imagine how some of the stories that happened in her abscense would have gone if Jean was there. Some of them (like schism or AvX or the whole deal with hope) probably wouldn't have happened at all.
or marvel could have butchered her character in a horrible way to made them work.

I just can't imagine Jean in a dumb hero vs hero event or bad schisms. she is smarter than that
Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I definitely think Schism would never have happened if she were alive. I cant see her allowing things to get that hateful between Cyclops and Wolverine to the point where the X-men and school split up
Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
Schism absolutely never would have happened in the way that they represented it, not at all. It may have happened in another way, though, since Cyclops might have downward spiraled into his Magneto mentality either way.

I used to imagine that there might be a schism between Jean and Scott where Jean took a more Charles inspired stance but didn't do the hypocritical thing of saying not to allow any children to fight while continuing to fight herself like Logan did.
Yeah... no. Schism most definitely would've happened. Why? Because Marvel was in full 'hero vs. hero' mode. It was the hot thing at that time. It doesn't matter who was alive or not, Schism would've happened no doubt about it. If they can made Spider-Man sell his marriage to the devil, you think they would've cared if Jean is being in-character or not?

There are few other things I won't mention because this is Jean appreciation thread.