Page 1 of 324 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Jean Grey: Marvel Girl, Phoenix Appreciation 2018

Probably temporary thread for the leader of our mutant nation.

It's good enough until the problem is resolved. The lag is getting ridiculous.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Fantastic Member Legaldrugdealer's Avatar

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

double post
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 08-05-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

A new start for her new era! Gonna miss her old thread, seeing as how the site is still acting slow for me, but hopefully this will help eventually. Can't wait to see where Jean lands in the relaunch.

Ugh. Hate that the thread had to get restarted

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Really hope Jean gets a 90’s Jim Lee costume X-Men '92 ArtFX figure, complete with ponytail.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Wait, why did the appreciation thread get rebooted? Haha.

I guess to start us off, why is Jean your favorite character? Exactly what about her GRABBED you and wouldn't let go?

The first time that I ever saw Jean Grey was in the X-Men Animated Series' Phoenix Saga. She was graceful, powerful, compassionate, and at the time she amazed little me. I always related more to female characters when I was a little kid than I did male characters (I realize now that's, in part, a gay thing and also a result of my older brother's hyper-masculine attitude), but even if it weren't for that, I think that Phoenix would have still drawn my eye. I remember having my parents buy me all the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix merch that they could find, and following the X-Men right into the films, Evolution, and Legends when I slowly got older - and it was all because of characters like Storm, Iceman, and especially Jean Grey.

Through the films, Evolution, and X-Men Legends I fell even more in love with who Jean was as a character. She's so complex. Always - at the time - holding back for fear of losing control, but still amazingly powerful and doing all that she can to protect and save the world even if humans hated mutants. She didn't care. She would protect them anyway.

I was fourteen when I started reading comics, and Jean Grey was dead then. That didn't stop me from reading all of the AU's and backissues that I could find that featured Jean in them, and I was hooked at that point. There was no turning back. I had to wait four years for some kind of Jean Grey to return to the main publication, and I never thought that it would happen. Teen Jean wasn't perfect and there were times where I questioned whether this really was Jean Grey or not, but over time that melted away. And then, in five more years after that, nine years after I started reading comic books, she was back.

And I've been over the moon ever since.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This lag is messing me up y'all.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 08-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

ETA: So much for the rebooted threads helping with lag
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.

lag is getting seriously deoressing.

I fell in love with Jean reading UK reprints of early O5 xmen stories, theres wasnt much characterisation but inloved her powerset, the telekinesis. I missed some stores and then saw slightly later stories, with Jean in her minishirt, and somehow havingvteleoathy. The art and stories ariund intriduction of Havok, Living Pharoah grabbed me big time. And i fell further in love with her, she wasnt the weak Mavel Girl from before, but had attitude and good use of powers. Intemember even now her saving Angel when hecwas falling, andcher fight with Magneto after the guys were enthralled by Lorelei.

Then she bacame Phoenix and wow! The art, the stories, Jeans love and compassion, but with the aggression of Phoenix was fantastic. Unfortunately iin UK they printed What If Phoenix Had Not Died, before publishing the Dark Phoenix saga, but i was so moved be Jeans guilt and sacrifice. I cried for days. As kid i had always been fascinated by psychic thungs, so Jean being telepathic and telekinetic spoke to me, my fave mythical creatures Pegasus from Greek mythology and the Phoenix. And then Jean became Phoenix. And the costume and Phoenix Raptor effect were just gorgeous.

Am not a fan of Jeen, she is NOT my Jean, she is a Jean, but nit the one I grew up with, but akso inconsistent writing, characterisation and power levels just frustrated me.

But MY Jean is back, a very human and humane Jean Grey. Instill read xnen gold, bkue etc and def Red. But Red is the onky ine that a get pleasure frim, it feeks new, exciting, so relevant to today’s issues in the real world. And Jean is just perfect in it. I actually remember the individual issues. Gold and Blue, most konths i have to back to read the previous issue to help remember what happened.

Marvels comic series are often short lived or re booted. I hope Red continues fir a long time, but im unsure if it is just a major arc as one off to re intriduce the world to THE Jean Grey. I can imagine her going to Uncanny when it returns, and am really not sure how i feel about it!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Wait, why did the appreciation thread get rebooted? Haha.

I guess to start us off, why is Jean your favorite character? Exactly what about her GRABBED you and wouldn't let go?

The first time that I ever saw Jean Grey was in the X-Men Animated Series' Phoenix Saga. She was graceful, powerful, compassionate, and at the time she amazed little me. I always related more to female characters when I was a little kid than I did male characters (I realize now that's, in part, a gay thing and also a result of my older brother's hyper-masculine attitude), but even if it weren't for that, I think that Phoenix would have still drawn my eye. I remember having my parents buy me all the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix merch that they could find, and following the X-Men right into the films, Evolution, and Legends when I slowly got older - and it was all because of characters like Storm, Iceman, and especially Jean Grey.

Through the films, Evolution, and X-Men Legends I fell even more in love with who Jean was as a character. She's so complex. Always - at the time - holding back for fear of losing control, but still amazingly powerful and doing all that she can to protect and save the world even if humans hated mutants. She didn't care. She would protect them anyway.

I was fourteen when I started reading comics, and Jean Grey was dead then. That didn't stop me from reading all of the AU's and backissues that I could find that featured Jean in them, and I was hooked at that point. There was no turning back. I had to wait four years for some kind of Jean Grey to return to the main publication, and I never thought that it would happen. Teen Jean wasn't perfect and there were times where I questioned whether this really was Jean Grey or not, but over time that melted away. And then, in five more years after that, nine years after I started reading comic books, she was back.

And I've been over the moon ever since.
    X-Men Evolution and the early X-men films got me to love Jean which basically made me fall in love with the X-men in general. I remember when X3 came out I was so sad to see Jean turn evil and then killed off. This was before I learned of the Phoenix story lines. I wasn't big on comics till my high school years so the X-films and Evolution was all I had to really know the X-men. When MvC3 came out Phoenix was my number one pick in that game. That's when I really learned more about the Phoenix and Jean.

High school was when I really started to read comics. This was around the Marvel Now and New 52 relaunches so Jean was dead but I read the X-men comics from Claremont's run, Morrison's run and then Whedon's run. I got to learn so much about the X-men and mainly Jean. My love grew more ever since.

I don't know what made me love Jean from the beginning. I loved female characters probably more than male characters (except when it came to Spidey, Wolverine and Batman) when I was younger and Jean just stood out. Storm, Rogue and the other females were cool and I liked them but not as much as Jean.

Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 08-05-2018 at 04:12 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    lag is getting seriously deoressing.

I fell in love with Jean reading UK reprints of early O5 xmen stories, theres wasnt much characterisation but inloved her powerset, the telekinesis. I missed some stores and then saw slightly later stories, with Jean in her minishirt, and somehow havingvteleoathy. The art and stories ariund intriduction of Havok, Living Pharoah grabbed me big time. And i fell further in love with her, she wasnt the weak Mavel Girl from before, but had attitude and good use of powers. Intemember even now her saving Angel when hecwas falling, andcher fight with Magneto after the guys were enthralled by Lorelei.

Then she bacame Phoenix and wow! The art, the stories, Jeans love and compassion, but with the aggression of Phoenix was fantastic. Unfortunately iin UK they printed What If Phoenix Had Not Died, before publishing the Dark Phoenix saga, but i was so moved be Jeans guilt and sacrifice. I cried for days. As kid i had always been fascinated by psychic thungs, so Jean being telepathic and telekinetic spoke to me, my fave mythical creatures Pegasus from Greek mythology and the Phoenix. And then Jean became Phoenix. And the costume and Phoenix Raptor effect were just gorgeous.

Am not a fan of Jeen, she is NOT my Jean, she is a Jean, but nit the one I grew up with, but akso inconsistent writing, characterisation and power levels just frustrated me.

But MY Jean is back, a very human and humane Jean Grey. Instill read xnen gold, bkue etc and def Red. But Red is the onky ine that a get pleasure frim, it feeks new, exciting, so relevant to today’s issues in the real world. And Jean is just perfect in it. I actually remember the individual issues. Gold and Blue, most konths i have to back to read the previous issue to help remember what happened.

Marvels comic series are often short lived or re booted. I hope Red continues fir a long time, but im unsure if it is just a major arc as one off to re intriduce the world to THE Jean Grey. I can imagine her going to Uncanny when it returns, and am really not sure how i feel about it!
    To me the main purpose of X-Men: Red is to reintroduce Jean Grey to the X-Men and the Avengers. Notice she has two Avengers allies, and one Namor even joined her team. I think editorial wanted to reintroduce her to the world and have the heroes used to working with her first and used to her return, because the last couple of Phoenix stories portrayed the Phoenix as a force of destruction. I do think with X-Men Dark Phoenix coming out and Disney buying Fox, plus the relevation a past incarnation of Phoenix was a member of Avengers BC, that they are going to have Jean become Phoenix again and join the Avengers. Marvel is free to use the mutants more broadly now that they have full rights again. This is why Storm also reunited with the Black Panther.