Page 228 of 324 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 4846

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    I think I love you for posting the underdog that is Super Mario Bros. 2. I loved that game and Princess Peach (although I still sometimes hold on to the original name Princess Toadstool...) was my favorite character in the game for her levitation ability.
    Tangent: I also played Peach the most in SMB2, admittedly mostly because I was young and her float ability was the game's version of easy mode. I love that it became a consistent part of her character, though.

Regarding Toadstool vs. Peach, my Mario lore isn't exact but I think Nintendo says her full name is Princess Peach Toadstool, so Peach would be her first name. Why they switched it in translation outside of Japan at first is anybody's guess. I suppose it was just to keep with the mushroom theme (or maybe it was because peaches have certain...associations in Japanese culture). Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm going amend my initial assessment. jean jumping or flying via levitation is no different than storm flying via her winds. her ability and control didnt allow her to fly as she did with Phoenix but to the naked eye it's still a form of flight:
    There's some variety in how super heroes fly. You've got Warren who's physically built for it in the most natural sense. Then you have characters like Rogue (when she's had flying powers) who just...will themselves into the air for lack of a better description (I don't know if any explanation has been given for how those forms of flying work).

Jean and Ororo are similar in ways in that their powers are keeping them aloft. For Ororo she's being held up in a way similar to a kite or hang-glider where Jean is more in a perpetual state of not-quite falling. That could be one explanation for why it took her a long time to properly fly; she probably has to concentrate a lot more than others while doing so. Even in the silver age if she was airborne (which is a bit generous considering she was usually only a couple feet off the ground), she could only maintain it for a brief period; minutes at most I think.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Tangent: I also played Peach the most in SMB2, admittedly mostly because I was young and her float ability was the game's version of easy mode. I love that it became a consistent part of her character, though.

Regarding Toadstool vs. Peach, my Mario lore isn't exact but I think Nintendo says her full name is Princess Peach Toadstool, so Peach would be her first name. Why they switched it in translation outside of Japan at first is anybody's guess. I suppose it was just to keep with the mushroom theme (or maybe it was because peaches have certain...associations in Japanese culture). Who knows?

There's some variety in how super heroes fly. You've got Warren who's physically built for it in the most natural sense. Then you have characters like Rogue (when she's had flying powers) who just...will themselves into the air for lack of a better description (I don't know if any explanation has been given for how those forms of flying work).

Jean and Ororo are similar in ways in that their powers are keeping them aloft. For Ororo she's being held up in a way similar to a kite or hang-glider where Jean is more in a perpetual state of not-quite falling. That could be one explanation for why it took her a long time to properly fly; she probably has to concentrate a lot more than others while doing so. Even in the silver age if she was airborne (which is a bit generous considering she was usually only a couple feet off the ground), she could only maintain it for a brief period; minutes at most I think.
    I agree with all of this. as you mentioned, it took Jean an incredible amount of concentration in her early days which limited how long she could levitate or propel herself through the air.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Yeah. Jean levitated multiple times during the silver age (there was even a story about her trying to fly but not being able to in X-Men First Class), but she didn't truly fly until Phoenix. Prior to that she was Princess Peaching-it everywhere.

I LOVED that game...bitch could fly and not a hair out of place

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Really? What do you think it'll be?
    I was thinking about Jean taking the reigns from Kitty, but that was before Cyclops coming back. I think Jean/Scott relationship will be a big part of Jean future development

BANNED

Scott could be on a different team. The separation would be good for them

I know that many are afraid of Scott coming back to overshadow Jean and there's good reason for that. I'm just going to remain hopeful in that in this day and age of promoting diversity, Jean will continue to stand on her own and won't immediately be saddled back with Scott. She should develop on her own and make a couple of mistakes along the way before they reunite. Jean deserves this time right now to redefine herself not only regarding her identity, but romantically as well. With a non X-man of course.

Yeah. Jean levitated multiple times during the silver age (there was even a story about her trying to fly but not being able to in X-Men First Class), but she didn't truly fly until Phoenix. Prior to that she was Princess Peaching-it everywhere.

Oh, how I would cheat with the Game Genie and be able to fly outright through the whole game.

And I was so upset when I realize the Princess in Super Mario Land for Game Boy, Daisy, was a different Princess. I used to call her Princess Daisy Toadstool. I always hated the name Peach. (It didn't help that the movie called her Daisy as well.)
    Richard Alexander

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Scott coming back is going to be a good thing for him, that much is true, and it's going to be a good thing for the X-Men but I really don't like this idea that just because he's back it means that Jean is going to suffer: it doesn't. Look at Rogue and Gambit, they're living symbiotically and doing well together in their own mini-series - there's no reason that Jean and Scott can't do that as well, and that's assuming that the two of them are getting back together in the first place, which there's no real guarantee that they will even if it seems likely. Jean and Scott can coexist either on the same team or on other teams, and I think that Jean will retain her leadership position, alongside Ororo and maybe Scott and Logan. There's no reason to assume and act like the sky is falling.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    She should develop on her own and make a couple of mistakes along the way
    What kind of mistakes do you think Jean could make?

she is a very stable and healthy person. I don't see her holding grudges or fighting other superheroes for dumb drama (which sadly ha sbeen the story ofthe x-men for far too long)

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Scott coming back is going to be a good thing for him, that much is true, and it's going to be a good thing for the X-Men but I really don't like this idea that just because he's back it means that Jean is going to suffer: it doesn't. Look at Rogue and Gambit, they're living symbiotically and doing well together in their own mini-series - there's no reason that Jean and Scott can't do that as well, and that's assuming that the two of them are getting back together in the first place, which there's no real guarantee that they will even if it seems likely. Jean and Scott can coexist either on the same team or on other teams, and I think that Jean will retain her leadership position, alongside Ororo and maybe Scott and Logan. There's no reason to assume and act like the sky is falling.
    I agree with you. i think some people are being paranoic with the whole thing, jumping to fast to some conclusions. i also liked them as a couple.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 11-16-2018 at 12:34 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I agree with you. i think some people are being paranoic with the whole thing, jumping to fast to some conclusions. i also liked them as a couple.
    I don't really know where the idea that they hurt each other as a couple comes from. Almost the entire time they were together they hoisted each other up, and in the 90s if anyone suffered it was Scott, who got very dull at certain points, not Jean.

Maybe because of TAS? I guess?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't really know where the idea that they hurt each other as a couple comes from. Almost the entire time they were together they hoisted each other up, and in the 90s if anyone suffered it was Scott, who got very dull at certain points, not Jean.

Maybe because of TAS? I guess?
    More than anything, DOR and spirit just hate Scott and Jott. Not that they don't have a point, I do think Jean deserves some time being developed alone, and Scott return is probably gonna hurt that, but it's overblown because of that.

I think its because Scott got a lot of focus for the last decade. Jean was abscent from that time and some people want the same level of focus on Jean which is fair but that can happen with or without Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    What kind of mistakes do you think Jean could make?

she is a very stable and healthy person. I don't see her holding grudges or fighting other superheroes for dumb drama (which sadly ha sbeen the story ofthe x-men for far too long)
    Haven't really thought too much into the possible mistakes (maybe leadership-wise? Dating?), but it could work to show that even the mighty Mrs. Grey-Summers can screw up like the rest of the peons.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    More than anything, DOR and spirit just hate Scott and Jott. Not that they don't have a point, I do think Jean deserves some time alone and Scott return is probably gonna hurt that, but it's overblown because of that.
    Yeah, i know there are reasons to dislike both things but sometimes is not as huge of a problem as some people believe.