Page 32 of 324 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I can't speak for others but I've waited 14 years for Jean to return, after such a long period away I'd simply hope there's a touch of care put into how she's portrayed. Moving forward he'll have a great deal of say in said portrayal and I'd hope it's stronger on all fronts, based on PR and this Annual I personally don't have the highest hopes.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I propose that since Jean was dealing with X, she wasn't anticipating a telepathic attack on par with her, so he was quickly able to get past her defenses before she could react.
    There. Now we don't need to get in a pissing contest about power.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I propose that since Jean was dealing with X, she wasn't anticipating a telepathic attack on par with her, so he was quickly able to get past her defenses before she could react.
    There. Now we don't need to get in a pissing contest about power.
    That's pretty much what he said, along with saying Jean is meant to be stronger than X, but even the strongest characters are constantly overpowered in comics depending on the circumstances.

Honestly, if there was actually a battle, if this was Jean vs Xavier with her trying to fight back and he won at the end, I would be disappointed too. It's not that I don't want Jean to be portrayed as powerful or that I don't want her to have "FEATZ" and stuff. But I just don't think this situation at least it's really something to be seem like that.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 08-20-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

My biggest problem with Astonishing was X influencing their personalities. I think it goes against what Taylor had been doing in Red with Jean, and was unnecessary. Maybe Rosenberg can redeem himself in Uncanny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    My biggest problem with Astonishing was X influencing their personalities. I think it goes against what Taylor had been doing in Red with Jean, and was unnecessary. Maybe Rosenberg can redeem himself in Uncanny.
    I hope so, because right now he is honestly wasting her return.

My problem was that with these constant mindwipes, the X-Men keep meeting X "for the first time" over and over lol. We'll see about X influencing them. I don't think it's that big of a thing to really influence Red that much. Seemed like he just made them stop being angsty about him and their past. Red is self-contained so I doubt Taylor will even acknowledge it. Plus, there was the Red annual, that starts right at the end of Phoenix Resurrection.

Hey y’all if I go up to the worlds best arm wrestler while he’s eating dinner. And I say hi and go to shake his hand but Then I suddenly grab his arm and slam it on the table... that makes me the best arm wrestler in the world now, right?

Asking for a friend.

But for real, Xavier mind wiping jean doesn’t mean or prove anything. For either one of them. I think folks should be more upset about Karnak knocking jean out with a pebble to the face, if anything. (That scene still cracks me up).
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

I don't care about her losing to Xavier at all, to be honest. Even if Jean was meant to be unquestionably better, circumstances could still see him get over on her.

I more concerned with her character portrayal, not just powerwise but characterization, moving forward. When writers get characters they don't care about and don't care to think about, there's the likelihood of bad results.

That's how we get a Jean resurrection mini with no Jean (well just enough for her to say she should be dead) and the drab, suicidal mess seen in Astonishing Annual #1.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Love Frank Cho's covers. I've also met the man in person at NYCC. He's an awesome guy and his covers are always worth collecting.
    Cho a nice guy? the same that complain about feminists ruining everything?

i guess Cho cant draw women: with different faces and without giant boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I can't speak for others but I've waited 14 years for Jean to return, after such a long period away I'd simply hope there's a touch of care put into how she's portrayed. Moving forward he'll have a great deal of say in said portrayal and I'd hope it's stronger on all fronts, based on PR and this Annual I personally don't have the highest hopes.
    You make it seem like PR and this one issue of Astonishing are the totality of Jean's appearances. She's the lead character in X-men Red where she's being the best X-hero in decades. She's front and centre in the Uncanny Disassembled promo and right beside Storm on the cover for Uncanny #1.

I agree and it's why I actually hate this annual and prefer to pretend it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 08-20-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    I don't care about her losing to Xavier at all, to be honest. Even if Jean was meant to be unquestionably better, circumstances could still see him get over on her.

I more concerned with her character portrayal, not just powerwise but characterization, moving forward. When writers get characters they don't care about and don't care to think about, there's the likelihood of bad results.

That's how we get a Jean resurrection mini with no Jean (well just enough for her to say she should be dead) and the drab, suicidal mess seen in Astonishing Annual #1.
    Well, considering you don't like Rosenberg's Jean, and Kelly has said she doesn't like Jean before, I guess Brisson is the only hope for Uncanny lol. Let's see how he writes her on Extermination. He had Jeen constantly guest-starring on OML so I think he likes her

And random subject, but, I just remembered of something funny, a couple days ago, some weirdo was going at him on twitter for Jean saying Cable was her son lol. First they corrected saying it was Maddie then when he explained that Jean raised him and this is what counts the most, they started saying "You're offending all the women who spend 9 months in labor!!!".

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post

I didn't like the Astonishing Annual, but I thought Phoenix Resurrection was stellar. Imo, Rosenberg really nailed Jean's voice here. Her choice to send the Phoenix away was on point for her characterization. More than anything over the decades, Jean has fought to preserve her own agency. A life with the Phoenix meant that everything would be predetermined for her by some cosmic fate, which wouldn't be much of a life at all. I love the phoenix, phoenix stories with Jean, and phoenix imagery but no matter how I slice it I feel like this would be her choice.

I'm even more grateful that Taylor is writing Red. This mini gives me some reservations about Rosenberg but I have hope that Red will continue longer than fans are thinking.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 08-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.

I liked the first and last issues of Phoenix Resurrection. But on the middle there was too much filler. It was disappointing when I realized only on the last issue something was gonna happen. I really wish that they had put the scene of Logan killing Anne and then Jean turning into the Black/Red Phoenix at the end of #4 was a cliffhanger. It would have worked so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I liked the first and last issues of Phoenix Resurrection. But on the middle there was too much filler. It was disappointing when I realized only on the last issue something was gonna happen. I really wish that they had put the scene of Logan killing Anne and then Jean turning into the Black/Red Phoenix at the end of #4 was a cliffhanger. It would have worked so much better.
    That's fair. I kinda dug the slow burn because it really let the mysteries breathe. I thought Jean projecting those thoughts throughout the world was neat, and the teams responding to them were fun.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 08-20-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I remember Mark Paniccia saying in a video before Jean came back that she was going to feel lost at the start, having to face a world that changed a lot while she was gone, many people she cared about changed, and Cyclops was gone. He said something about dealing with the changes. In this context is where i put the astonishing annual. This Jean just came back and is just trying to reconnect and deal with things, she is kicking ass in Red but this was before that.

I mean I don't think coming back from the dead after so long is an easy experience. It could give place to some serious questions about her life and it's purpose.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 08-20-2018 at 07:35 PM.