Page 321 of 324 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324 LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 4846

If anything I think the Avengers could be more wary of Jean because she's a telepath and that's often out of their wheelhouse. The X-Men are used to it since their patriarch is a telepath along with every fifth mutant, but the more mainstream heroes don't encounter them nearly as often and I feel like they and the rest of the planet should be a little more on edge when they're around.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Jean still has a temper. It was showcased in the Red Annual.
    Yeah she did get angry, it was a kind of anger that you'd expect for normal situations, wasn't the explosive type you'd expect Jean to have in that kind of situation, she didn't really do anything to blackbolt except ask him to apologize.

Angry Jean usually crosses lines that make you ask, what is wrong with this woman.
    Like dropping a car on Shaw for teasing her about Phoenix saga
    Or her massive TK fight with cyclops in X-Factor
    Or breaking sabertooths bones and making him scratch himself
    Blowing up a wall and flying away in anger
    Or blasting mellencamp into another country in anger
    Or ripping through Emma frosts mind
    Or messing up the U-men, leaving them naked, covered in vomit and their trucks Disassembled and in flames

I'd like them to actually address her anger issues, how she holds things in and represses herself sometimes, leading to explosive outbursts that aren't good for herself or others and show her working on it and dealing with it.

Heck, they don't have to fully remove it. Claremont only had Jean getting angry I've once or twice, and during a fight, but was able to write an interesting Jean that wasn't a "perfect holy mary". He made hr fun, girlish, playful, while at the same time empathic, assertive and witty.

Same thing with Grant Morrison, he wrote Jean getting angry only twice in his run, but his Jean wasnt a perfect hippie, she was intelligent, witty and had some mystique. And some see his Jean as the best modern Jean.

Tom Taylors version could have come close, but the lack of a darker edge to the character took away from making her fully fleshed out.

I dont think there's anything to address as I dont think Jean has an anger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Trying to insist Jean is only this pacifist therapist and trying to eliminate any moments of aggression or competence she had is very misogynistic. The fans who try to argue she never had anything to do with the Phoenix (despite clearly being Phoenix in the early 2000s and despite characters at that point referring to her as Phoenix and the original Phoenix).

I don’t think anyone can argue a Jean Grey who always refuses to fight, no matter what the stakes are, is a good depiction. Realistically this is done because the harsher aspects her are associated with the Phoenix, and clearly Adult Jean
    Has suffered from severing it from her as she must act like a complete pacifist to prove the Phoenix is gone.
    Jean was dead for too long. I feel that she was too romanticized while dead, so the pacifism took completely over her characterization

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Eh, I think that's a bit much. I like her having friends in avengers, but them knowing or finding out that she has a dark side that they have to be wary of.
    Avengers are friends with Wanda, Jean won't scary them
    Last edited by spirit2011; 12-28-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    If anything I think the Avengers could be more wary of Jean because she's a telepath and that's often out of their wheelhouse. The X-Men are used to it since their patriarch is a telepath along with every fifth mutant, but the more mainstream heroes don't encounter them nearly as often and I feel like they and the rest of the planet should be a little more on edge when they're around.
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Avengers are friends with Wanda, Jean won't scary them
    The Avengers have refenced Jean several times in the past couple of years when it came to needing to use a telepath and in the final issue of Red came to her aid (even after she was labeled an international terrorist) and went into battle following her lead. They trust her

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think there's anything to address as I dont think Jean has an anger problem.
    Neither do I. Yes, she's shown to go to extremes but that is part and parcel of who she is. It's her "Red-headedness", her passion and yes she may try to tamp it down, and succeeds in doing so sometime but...it is who she is and she should never be made/written to "address" it..

People get angry sometimes. It's human nature. Every time Jean showed her temper it was on a justified/understandable situation where anyone would have felt angry, she just acted on it while some people wouldn't. Saying she has "anger issues" and that the Avengers or any people should be scared to be around her is a total reach.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

We need a good name for the pink form and a standard definition of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    We need a good name for the pink form and a standard definition of what it is.
    I can never get past thinking of it as her Esper form.

I think 2018 will go down as one of the best year for Jean Grey fans of all time.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Just reread the X-Men Red annual and I have to say, this was the best showing of Jean, writing-wise, in the first year of her return. She showcased both her compassionate and tempered sides beautifully in this annual. The scene where she confronts Chad over his derogatory remarks towards Kurt was in my top 3 Jean moments of 2018. This particular moment just felt so quintessentialy Jean. I feel Taylor really struck a sweet note when writing Jean in the XMR annual. Her interactions with her teammates following her return, reuniting with Rachel, meeting Laura and Gabby for the first time, confronting and making peace with Black Bolt, so many golden moments bundled into one annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Just reread the X-Men Red annual and I have to say, this was the best showing of Jean, writing-wise, in the first year of her return. She showcased both her compassionate and tempered sides beautifully in this annual. The scene where she confronts Chad over his derogatory remarks towards Kurt was in my top 3 Jean moments of 2018. This particular moment just felt so quintessentialy Jean. I feel Taylor really struck a sweet note when writing Jean in the XMR annual. Her interactions with her teammates following her return, reuniting with Rachel, meeting Laura and Gabby for the first time, confronting and making peace with Black Bolt, so many golden moments bundled into one annual.
    Taylors Jean will be part of what makes the Definitive Jean grey. Right after Claremont and Morrison.

For Teen Jean. Probably Bendis and Cullen Bunn, (Lemire is alright, but mostly forgettable and wallpaper as she didn't do anything in Extraordinary, but the way he wrote her in old man Logan was extraordinary. Hopeless is too ooc and Valley girl for most people), Bendis starts with a girl that was the weakest and suddenly becomes the strongest and abuses the power and making her the leader, while Bunn has her accepting that what she did was wrong and coming into herself as a leader comfortably. Brisson in Extermination is a nice addition to this.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Hopeless' canon teen Jean is alright, but... it makes me so sad to see how she acts in X-Men Season One, which is pitch perfect, compared to how she acts in the Jeen solo.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Taylors Jean will be part of what makes the Definitive Jean grey. Right after Claremont and Morrison.

For Teen Jean. Probably Bendis and Cullen Bunn, (Lemire is alright, but mostly forgettable and wallpaper as she didn't do anything in Extraordinary, but the way he wrote her in old man Logan was extraordinary. Hopeless is too ooc and Valley girl for most people), Bendis starts with a girl that was the weakest and suddenly becomes the strongest and abuses the power and making her the leader, while Bunn has her accepting that what she did was wrong and coming into herself as a leader comfortably. Brisson in Extermination is a nice addition to this.
    IA with this entire post. I hope Jean manages to get better writing in 2019

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    People get angry sometimes. It's human nature. Every time Jean showed her temper it was on a justified/understandable situation where anyone would have felt angry, she just acted on it while some people wouldn't. Saying she has "anger issues" and that the Avengers or any people should be scared to be around her is a total reach.
    A lot of the Avengers had issues with Wanda, considering she killed them. Considering Jean is the prime host of the Phoenix, and it always comes back to her, I don’t think a friendship with most Avengers is possible as they cannot understand the Phoenix. The cosmic or magically Avengers could, abs I think Black Panther would but people like Cap, Widow, and Iron Man cannot.

Also the Avengers have been at odds with the XNen on other issues as well. When it comes down to it Jean as an XMan, and will side with Mutants and XMen.

I think Jean could have great stories with Thor, Captain Marvel, or the Scarlet Witch. I liked how Jeen spent time with Thor, Strange, and Wanda. But that doesn’t make her miss popularity.

She’s a leader of the XNen, not a high school cheerleader aiming to be the prom queen!

I do think it’s better for her to be feared than liked in many circumstances.