Page 8 of 324 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

It is indeed very nice to see Jean front and center. Not just in this cover but in the Typhoid Fever crossover.

She did miss out on a lot in the 14 years she's been gone. Glad to see Marvel is taking the opportunity to give her focus after being gone for so long and at a time when Cyclops, Wolverine and Prof-X are conveniently gone too so there's lots of new stories/interactions to tell with her. Also glad to see Marvel is going in the direction of her being the face of the comics franchise at least for now. I don't think an X-Woman has had that distinction since the 80s with Storm. The 90s were all about Wolverine and the 2000s had been all about Cyclops until he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Schism absolutely never would have happened in the way that they represented it, not at all. It may have happened in another way, though, since Cyclops might have downward spiraled into his Magneto mentality either way.

I used to imagine that there might be a schism between Jean and Scott where Jean took a more Charles inspired stance but didn't do the hypocritical thing of saying not to allow any children to fight while continuing to fight herself like Logan did.
    I agree. Scott and Jean would have been divorced and it would have probably been Scott/Emma vs. Jean/Logan with Jean leading the school instead of Wolverine (she wouldn't have named it after herself though lol...how unclassy). This isn't the first time they've had this difference of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    If Hope had ended being Jean reincarnated. Would you guys have liked it?
    How do you think everything would have gone for her?

I think it could have been a cool way to bring her back but she obviously would have to grow up into Jean
    I never beleived she was Jean and I was glad that didnt materialized bc I liked Hope, her story arc and relationship with Cable. With that said, I wouldnt have hated it and it would have been a neat way to bring Jean back. I just thought it was way too predictable

Hello, everyone! Big Jean fan (in case it's not ovious) and super glad to be able to discuss stuff here. I am beyond excited to have her be literally and metaphorically front and center, because it was about damn time.

I have faith the 3 Uncanny writers will do her justice, and I sincerely hope Taylor continues writing her in some capacity. I think he dropped the ball in Red regarding pacing and the shameless Wolverina Fest, but his Jean is specifically amazing. Lets see what is announced on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I never beleived she was Jean and I was glad that didnt materialized bc I liked Hope, her story arc and relationship with Cable. With that said, I wouldnt have hated it and it would have been a neat way to bring Jean back. I just thought it was way too predictable
    It was far too obvious, and I suppose that's why most people weren't really sure what to think. 00s Marvel has never been good at subtlety or unpredictability, lol.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Does the return of uncanny and this book shipping every week means that X-men Red is canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by FeniSam View Post
    Hello, everyone! Big Jean fan (in case it's not ovious) and super glad to be able to discuss stuff here. I am beyond excited to have her be literally and metaphorically front and center, because it was about damn time.

I have faith the 3 Uncanny writers will do her justice, and I sincerely hope Taylor continues writing her in some capacity. I think he dropped the ball in Red regarding pacing and the shameless Wolverina Fest, but his Jean is specifically amazing. Lets see what is announced on that front.
    IA. I do like Taylor's writing of Jean so its disappointing he isnt on Uncanny. I do feel like Red is ending and if that happens, I hope he gets to write a Jean solo. He has a great grasp on her voice

Does the return of uncanny and this book shipping every week means that X-men Red is canceled?
    it isnt selling well, so it is a possibility 😣

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    it isnt selling well, so it is a possibility ��
    Technically, yes, sales have been steadily falling, but that's the general trend for all comic books after they debut. Not counting X-Men Gold's wedding, X-Men Red has actually been outselling every other X-book.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-04.html

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-05.html

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-06.html

X-Men sales have been languishing in the mid-tier for years. The Uncanny X-Men relaunch is an attempt to push them back into the top tier. Thankfully, Jean is around to be a part of it.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 08-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IA. I do like Taylor's writing of Jean so its disappointing he isnt on Uncanny. I do feel like Red is ending and if that happens, I hope he gets to write a Jean solo. He has a great grasp on her voice
    If they're aiming for a complete reshuffling, it'd be logical to stop everything else to focus on the Big Thing before branching out again.

Then again we haven't actually heard anything from or about Taylor, and as other people say, the Red sales drop is disappointing though not unexpected, as it happens after most launches, and Taylor's pacing has been too slow.

I really hope he gets to do something at the X-Office, because the comeback to the "hated and feared" themes and his characterization in Red are amazing.

Fantastic Member

If Hope had ended being Jean reincarnated. Would you guys have liked it?
    How do you think everything would have gone for her?

I think it could have been a cool way to bring her back but she obviously would have to grow up into Jean
    I would have liked it, I imagine a comic booky age-up could have been in the cards. In a weird way O5 Jeen ended up fulfilling the idea. In my headcanons I'd like to think Hope would have fulfilled the reincarnation idea if she had not rejected the Phoenix at the end of AvX. On the other hand now we have the fun implication of Scott and Jean being timey wimey grandparents now (which was also had with Tyler Day-spring but he's dead)

I saw this interview with Matthew Rosenberg was posted on the Cyclops thread, and I wanted to pull out a relevant quote about Scott and Jean. I like his interpretation that because of all that's happened to them, they're basically able to focus on what really matters and move beyond pettiness.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...lops-and-more/

AiPT!: You mention those human moments. I’m a Scott and Jean fan…

Rosenberg: Me too.

AiPT!: And as a Scott and Jean fan, one of my favorite moments in Phoenix Resurrection was their brief reunion. I feel like another writer might use that moment to create drama, but you gave readers a beautiful moment of closure. Could you talk a bit about your decision to do that?

Rosenberg: Well, thank you. I think closure was important in my head. I wanted to have closure, but I also wanted to have a moment of real– I tried to imagine what it’d be like to be reunited with someone you care about who died. And I just think these characters aren’t petty–they’re the opposite, and I think they’d be so petty if they were caught up with, “You were with Emma and you did this” and caught up on all these moments. I think just the joy of seeing each other, they would want to hug and kiss and be together and I also wanted to make sure we understood that their deaths have changed them and they have perspective on what matters. I think that’s an important thing in the same way normal people have deathbed realizations about thinking about the things they prioritized rightly and wrongly. I would like to think that when you come back from the dead you also have those moments. I would hope that if you got the chance to come back from the dead, you prioritize letting the people you care about know you love them. I think that’d be probably No. 1 on a lot of people’s lists.

AiPT!: And they’ve come back to life a few times, so they’re extra wise.

Rosenberg: Haha, sure.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 08-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I love Rosenberg's response. I think a large part of my problem with Jott is my own bitter feelings over what happened in Morrison's run. Although I still feel a certain way about it, that mindset really doesn't gel with who Jean is as a character. She was willing to make amends with Mastermind, so its only natural that she would do the same with someone she loved so much.

Thanks for sharing!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

On the plus side, if they DO decide to cancel Red, I can more easily justify the purchase of Uncanny.
    I, too, am hype to see Jean front and center. With Kitty next to her, this makes me think she's going to be the new leader, which would be EXCELLENT.
    I mean, Kitty's fine and all, but... it's Jean. Does anybody not think Jean is a way better candidate?
    Last edited by Gambit, King of Thieves; 08-11-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    On the plus side, if they DO decide to cancel Red, I can more easily justify the purchase of Uncanny.
    I, too, am hype to see Jean front and center. With Kitty next to her, this makes me think she's going to be the new leader, which would be EXCELLENT.
    I mean, Kitty's fine and all, but... it's Jean. Does anybody not think Jean is a way better candidate?
    I kind of like kitty but Jean is obviously a better choice.

Again i like kitty but she always felt like a kid to me, Jean feels like an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by jollygoldfish View Post
    It is indeed very nice to see Jean front and center. Not just in this cover but in the Typhoid Fever crossover.
    She did miss out on a lot in the 14 years she's been gone. Glad to see Marvel is taking the opportunity to give her focus after being gone for so long and at a time when Cyclops, Wolverine and Prof-X are conveniently gone too so there's lots of new stories/interactions to tell with her. Also glad to see Marvel is going in the direction of her being the face of the comics franchise at least for now. I don't think an X-Woman has had that distinction since the 80s with Storm. The 90s were all about Wolverine and the 2000s had been all about Cyclops until he died.
    I agree. Scott and Jean would have been divorced and it would have probably been Scott/Emma vs. Jean/Logan with Jean leading the school instead of Wolverine (she wouldn't have named it after herself though lol...how unclassy). This isn't the first time they've had this difference of opinion.
    Nice image to illustrate the potential ideological Schism. 'Fall of the Mutants' was awesome.
    I can see Jean/Scott being estranged like Reed/Sue but never getting divorced. I more see Jean and Emma leading the school side while Scott and Logan led the 'child soldier' side. The frenemy possibilities are wonderful to consider and far better than what we actually got.
    Jean deserves the spotlight now. This new era has to be about the [ahem] hope that was sadly lacking for the longest while, and Jean will always be the face of hope for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    jean is far more experienced and better diplomacy skills