Page 9 of 324 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I love Rosenberg's response. I think a large part of my problem with Jott is my own bitter feelings over what happened in Morrison's run. Although I still feel a certain way about it, that mindset really doesn't gel with who Jean is as a character. She was willing to make amends with Mastermind, so its only natural that she would do the same with someone she loved so much.

Thanks for sharing!

Pretty much agree with this. My feelings of bitterness haven't changed. However, it's not really who Jean is as a person. Plus, it was just a brief scene. If Scott was back for good, it would not be my idea of good writing for them to reunite like Morrison's run didn't happen. Or, since they are both such good people, all is forgiven. Too much happened. For me, anyway.

I guess this interview confirms he is a fan of the couple. The page I saw sure read like it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    On the plus side, if they DO decide to cancel Red, I can more easily justify the purchase of Uncanny.
    I, too, am hype to see Jean front and center. With Kitty next to her, this makes me think she's going to be the new leader, which would be EXCELLENT.
    I mean, Kitty's fine and all, but... it's Jean. Does anybody not think Jean is a way better candidate?
    Jean is a far better candidate. Good leadership requires vision, charisma and diplomacy to communicate that vision, integrity and the respect of others so they can share that vision with you, humility to realise when you've made mistakes and courage to believe in yourself after such mistakes, pick up, move forward and see the vision through. Kitty is a manager. Jean is a leader. Professor X himself chose Jean as his successor.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I can see Jean/Scott being estranged like Reed/Sue but never getting divorced. I more see Jean and Emma leading the school side while Scott and Logan led the 'child soldier' side. The frenemy possibilities are wonderful to consider and far better than what we actually got.
    I can't agree with you there. It's hard to be estranged rather than divorced when your husband is banging his new girlfried/your mutual co-worker down the hall. It's not healthy. Split up and move on. I also can't see Jean and Emma working together on the school side. I can see Jean being pragmatic about it but Emma's Jean Grey issues are too deep. I also can't see Emma choosing to work with Jean over being with Scott.

Fantastic Member

I can't agree with you there. It's hard to be estranged rather than divorced when your husband is banging his new girlfried/your mutual co-worker down the hall. It's not healthy. Split up and move on. I also can't see Jean and Emma working together on the school side. I can see Jean being pragmatic about it but Emma's Jean Grey issues are too deep. I also can't see Emma choosing to work with Jean over being with Scott.
    It's really a shame how Marvel chose to end the Scott and Jean relationship, and how they chose to let subsequent writers treat the relationship since Jean died. I just can't buy that Scott loved her. The way he's spoken about the relationship, the way he reacted (or didn't) when Emma spoke about Jean or his relationship with her. Their moment in resurrection was nice and I find Rosenberg to be a nuanced writer with a good feel for Jean's voice, when she's not in leader mode, (based on Resurrection and the Preview for the Astonishing Annual), but it just doesn't wash for me. And that is the fault of Marvel.

Because the relationship was ended in such a sordid, viciously nasty manner, I can't see Jean working with Emma Frost on a regular basis. I don't think the character's integrity could survive such a writing choice. She certainly couldn't work on a team with BOTH Scott and Emma. The writers pigeonholed themselves with the Scott, Jean and Emma dynamic.

I like that Jean is front and center of the Uncanny X-men teaser image. I am a bit worried. Kelly Thompson has stated numerous times she's not exactly a fan of Jean Grey. Matthew Rosenberg is a big Jean Grey fan, but his take on the relationship between Jean and the Phoenix left a bad taste in my mouth. I am thankful that he was involved in bringing her back since I believe he hinted that editorial thought about retconning her latest run as the Phoenix. I don't think he gets her voice either. As much as I like Tom Taylor I'm not sure he gets Jean either - I prefer Dennis Hopeless to be honest. I thought he got Ghost Jean's voice right and he understood the connection to Phoenix. I know I'm probably in the minority about that.

I don't know much about the other writer. I am excited to see where it all goes after the first Uncanny X-men arc. I wonder if we will see more books and the large x-men cast split into several teams. Will Jean be an X-squad leader or will she take a role much like a Charles Xavier?

If Cyclops was to return, and I'm not convinced he will just yet.... I do not want Jean and him to get back together right away. I want them to continue being apart and they can be friends sort of like Cyke and Emma were after they broke up. I love both characters, and I have loved them together and separate. I just don't want Jean to fall back into the role of being Scott's wife and/or girlfriend.

I love Jean in a leadership position but I've always saw Jean as a second in command type. I want to see Storm back as an X-man leader. I am glad Storm was in the front with Jean and Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I saw this interview with Matthew Rosenberg was posted on the Cyclops thread, and I wanted to pull out a relevant quote about Scott and Jean. I like his interpretation that because of all that's happened to them, they're basically able to focus on what really matters and move beyond pettiness.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...lops-and-more/
    I love that response. I also totally agree with Rosenberg's thinking here. Cyclops and Jean have their faults and their romance has always had challenges, but the one thing that has never changed is how much they love each other. In that moment in Phoenix Resurrection, they got to see each other one more time and all those complications that drove them apart no longer mattered. That's a powerful, genuine message for her and for Cyclops. I think it brings out the best in them both and I hope that Rosenberg gets to write these two again at some point. I know he mentioned that Cyclops is still dead, but let's not forget that the same was true for Bruce Banner, Black Widow, and James Rhodes. I believe Cyclops will be back at some point. When that time comes, I hope Rosenberg gets a chance to write them again.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I like that Jean is front and center of the Uncanny X-men teaser image. I am a bit worried. Kelly Thompson has stated numerous times she's not exactly a fan of Jean Grey. Matthew Rosenberg is a big Jean Grey fan, but his take on the relationship between Jean and the Phoenix left a bad taste in my mouth. I am thankful that he was involved in bringing her back since I believe he hinted that editorial thought about retconning her latest run as the Phoenix. I don't think he gets her voice either. As much as I like Tom Taylor I'm not sure he gets Jean either - I prefer Dennis Hopeless to be honest. I thought he got Ghost Jean's voice right and he understood the connection to Phoenix. I know I'm probably in the minority about that.

I don't know much about the other writer. I am excited to see where it all goes after the first Uncanny X-men arc. I wonder if we will see more books and the large x-men cast split into several teams. Will Jean be an X-squad leader or will she take a role much like a Charles Xavier?

If Cyclops was to return, and I'm not convinced he will just yet.... I do not want Jean and him to get back together right away. I want them to continue being apart and they can be friends sort of like Cyke and Emma were after they broke up. I love both characters, and I have loved them together and separate. I just don't want Jean to fall back into the role of being Scott's wife and/or girlfriend.

I love Jean in a leadership position but I've always saw Jean as a second in command type. I want to see Storm back as an X-man leader. I am glad Storm was in the front with Jean and Kitty.
    Ooh! Have them be a ruling triumvirate!
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    It's really a shame how Marvel chose to end the Scott and Jean relationship, and how they chose to let subsequent writers treat the relationship since Jean died. I just can't buy that Scott loved her. The way he's spoken about the relationship, the way he reacted (or didn't) when Emma spoke about Jean or his relationship with her. Their moment in resurrection was nice and I find Rosenberg to be a nuanced writer with a good feel for Jean's voice, when she's not in leader mode, (based on Resurrection and the Preview for the Astonishing Annual), but it just doesn't wash for me. And that is the fault of Marvel.

Because the relationship was ended in such a sordid, viciously nasty manner, I can't see Jean working with Emma Frost on a regular basis. I don't think the character's integrity could survive such a writing choice. She certainly couldn't work on a team with BOTH Scott and Emma. The writers pigeonholed themselves with the Scott, Jean and Emma dynamic.
    I agree with pretty much all this. You know the old saying if two past lovers can remain friends, either they were never in love or one is still in love with the other? Jean loved Scott but I also can't buy that Scott loved Jean. By that reasoning Jean shouldn't be sticking around if she had to be working on a team with Scott and/or Emma unless absolutely necessary. It really wouldn't be healthy.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I keep reading that Kelly Thompson doesn't like Jean but when or where did she said that?
    what did she say about Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I keep reading that Kelly Thompson doesn't like Jean but when or where did she said that?
    that might be an assumption bc she's a HUGE Emma fan. I dont think anyone has anything to really worry about though. Even if she doesnt like Jean, Marvel is pushing her. Kelly isnt lead writer and has 2 other co-writers to act as a checks and balance so she cant do anything awful with Jean.
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-12-2018 at 07:44 AM.

BANNED

I think she said once she's "not much of a Jean fan" when asked to write a R&G version of Scott and Jean, but would be game for writing him with Emma. Maybe she phrased it differently, but I guess that's where people take that she doesn't like Jean.

I've followed her Tumblr for a while and in asks she's occasionally said she's not particularly a fan of Jean. Nothing nasty about it, she's just not one of her favourite X-Men, but you can see from her work that she really tries to connect with characters so Jean fans have nothing to fear as Kelly Thompson really gets voices and I'd still back her to do a fantastic job writing Jean. It might just be a case that Brisson and/or Rosenberg take the lead on any Jean stuff so she can focus on other characters, but, as stated, she gets the X-Men and is a big fan so it's all good.

Jean got a nice little moment in Mr & Mrs X #1, for example.

See her tumblr page. She has been asked about Jean a few times. I believe she has been asked about Jean on twitter. I don't think she hates the character, but she's never been a big fan of Jean. She did say that she liked Phoenix Resurrection and felt they did something new with her there (she's' also friends with Rosenberg).

I did not assume that she is not a fan of Jean due to her being a fan of the Scott/Emma pairing. She has literally said she was never a big fan of Jean a few times where fans have submitted questions to her on tumblr and twitter.

BANNED

I love that Jean is front and center, but I do believe the notion that she's beyond others in ability to lead is kinda corny.

A bunch of them could lead the X-Men just fine. That's part of what makes me roll my eyes at the HCT scenario.

At roughly 10 years in canonically, any of the major older veterans should be able to give their spin on leadership of the X-Men.

Except Gambit. He's an irresponsible idiot who lacks self-control. Lol Always getting into something ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    Pretty much agree with this. My feelings of bitterness haven't changed. However, it's not really who Jean is as a person. Plus, it was just a brief scene. If Scott was back for good, it would not be my idea of good writing for them to reunite like Morrison's run didn't happen. Or, since they are both such good people, all is forgiven. Too much happened. For me, anyway.

I guess this interview confirms he is a fan of the couple. The page I saw sure read like it.
    Lol good luck to you then. They didn't make Emma a villain again for no reason and notice they haven't really had Jean mention anything from the Morrison run, besides Cassie, of course. It's gonna be just like nothing happened.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 08-12-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    I love that Jean is front and center, but I do believe the notion that she's beyond others in ability to lead is kinda corny.

A bunch of them could lead the X-Men just fine. That's part of what makes me roll my eyes at the HCT scenario.

At roughly 10 years in canonically, any of the major older veterans should be able to give their spin on leadership of the X-Men.

Except Gambit. He's an irresponsible idiot who lacks self-control. Lol Always getting into something ridiculous.
    Agreed to some extent. I think there are multiple characters ho could lead. However, I also tihnk there are I bunch who wouldn't be good choices.

Lol good luck to you then. They didn't make Emma a villain again for no reason and notice they haven't really had Jean mention anything from the Morrison run, besides Cassie, of course. It's gonna be just like nothing happened.
    I didn't say they wouldn't do it. I said I wouldn't consider it good writing. I'm not losing sleep over it. Not like I'm going to buy it. For that, Scott's behavior needs to be retconned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    See her tumblr page. She has been asked about Jean a few times. I believe she has been asked about Jean on twitter. I don't think she hates the character, but she's never been a big fan of Jean. She did say that she liked Phoenix Resurrection and felt they did something new with her there (she's' also friends with Rosenberg).

I did not assume that she is not a fan of Jean due to her being a fan of the Scott/Emma pairing. She has literally said she was never a big fan of Jean a few times where fans have submitted questions to her on tumblr and twitter.
    People seem to keep fishing for answers where she disses Jean, for some reason. There was one where they asked who, between her and Emma, was the better telepath and she just answered it's Jean but she prefers Emma. It's a strange behavior.