Page 371 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2713213613673683693703713723733743753814214718711371 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks a little short for Mongal though, unless she can grow or something...

That's the only DC one I can think of. Not sure what Gunn's take on him might be.
    Rampage/Kitty Faulkner maybe?

I can't imagine that casting an Asian person as a literal yellow-skinned alien whose father is named Mongul will go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Saying that Snyder is "forcing his own narrative" is going way beyond simple criticism.

He's not forcing his narrative, but he gives and fuels his fans with more hope and reason to fight for the cause..

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Joker is making a mockery of October records. https://deadline.com/2019/10/gemini-...ce-1202757855/

Looks like it might reach 300M+ domestic. Fantastic on a 55M budget. I can see a slew of villain origin movies since they can be made relatively cheap.
    WB marketed the hell out of it, probably for way more than $55 million, and it wouldn't surprise me if Phoenix has some kind of percentage on the box office take. Still impressive though.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    WB marketed the hell out of it, probably for way more than $55 million, and it wouldn't surprise me if Phoenix has some kind of percentage on the box office take. Still impressive though.
    Depressing for me, because this is exactly the kind of comic book movie I don't want.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if it has a shot at over taking Aquaman's domestic gross. Maleficent will win next weekend but no blockbusters the week after. Great timing.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 10-12-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Depressing for me, because this is exactly the kind of comic book movie I don't want.
    Neither do I. Not a fan of villain origin stories where we are shown the hardships and bullying that turns one into a villain. But we are going to get them since they can be made inexpensive and turn a nice profit. Sony is definitely happy with how Joker turned out. Probably going to get a Green Goblin solo among a dozen others.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    And then there's Nathan Fillion, allegedly playing Arm-Fall-Off-Boy...
    Isn't Suicide Squad a team of villains? When did Arm-Fall-Off-Boy become a villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can't imagine that casting an Asian person as a literal yellow-skinned alien whose father is named Mongul will go over well.
    In this day and age there will probably be people offended that an Asian wasn't cast in the role.

Did they? All I saw was a few ads on TV. What other marketing was there? Most the publicity seemed to come from the idea it was going to inspire someone to shoot up a theater and I doubt WB was spending
    money to promote that notion.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Well, it's up to $543 million globally now. Does that qualify as a win? Do we think it's managed to break even yet?

Of course WB will have spent a lot on promotion. That's the nature of big budget Hollywood movies. You might be right about Phoenix getting a cut of the proceeds also. Why do we constantly get comments like these about DC movies though? It's as if they are constantly hampered by different economic concerns than everything else in the market, restricting their profitability in a way that other big productions manage to carefully avoid.

We all know the costs of the film were much greater than just $55 million. $543 million after two weeks on that level of production budget is a HUGE win though. However much people want to rain on that parade.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Well, it's up to $543 million globally now. Does that qualify as a win? Do we think it's managed to break even yet?

Of course WB will have spent a lot on promotion. That's the nature of big budget Hollywood movies. You might be right about Phoenix getting a cut of the proceeds also. Why do we constantly get comments like these about DC movies though? It's as if they are constantly hampered by different economic concerns than everything else in the market, restricting their profitability in a way that other big productions manage to carefully avoid.

We all know the costs of the film were much greater than just $55 million. $543 million after two weeks on that level of production budget is a HUGE win though. However much people want to rain on that parade.
    Heh. Despite it's decidedly non-MCU storyline and presentation, it's a big success any way you slice it for WB/DC.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Isn't Suicide Squad a team of villains? When did Arm-Fall-Off-Boy become a villain?
    He shouldn't even be in the same setting unless Gunn is doing what he did with the OG!Guardians.
    In this day and age there will probably be people offended that an Asian wasn't cast in the role.
    Well, Mongul and family aren't particularly Asian-centric...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. Despite it's decidedly non-MCU storyline and presentation, it's a big success any way you slice it for WB/DC.
    What's interesting for me is that, speaking in broad strokes, this kind of grounded dark realistic take on a Batman character is currently the only acceptable alternative to MCU action-comedies. Now Infinity War and Endgame were definitely more serious of course but still had their moments of low comedy. BvS may have had inherent flaws but like MoS, certain critics and fans flat out said the tone and philosophical approach was antithetical to what they wanted to see in a superhero movie. Meanwhile people are saying Joker "isn't a superhero movie" because of the tone of the movie, despite the fact it's pretty grounded in comic book lore.

Wonder Woman for me is the big exception here so maybe I'm speaking very generally, but even that had a balance of humor in it as well. I guess my point is that I'd love to see character studies that don't have to be gritty non-powered characters, without people saying "this takes itself too seriously".

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    What's interesting for me is that, speaking in broad strokes, this kind of grounded dark realistic take on a Batman character is currently the only acceptable alternative to MCU action-comedies. Now Infinity War and Endgame were definitely more serious of course but still had their moments of low comedy. BvS may have had inherent flaws but like MoS, certain critics and fans flat out said the tone and philosophical approach was antithetical to what they wanted to see in a superhero movie. Meanwhile people are saying Joker "isn't a superhero movie" because of the tone of the movie, despite the fact it's pretty grounded in comic book lore.

Wonder Woman for me is the big exception here so maybe I'm speaking very generally, but even that had a balance of humor in it as well. I guess my point is that I'd love to see character studies that don't have to be gritty non-powered characters, without people saying "this takes itself too seriously".
    It seems like a very fine-line to walk.

I guess there was also Logan.

Retired

It's dang frustrating for a DC fan that if a movie does poorly there's all this negativity from the fans and if a movie does well there's all this negativity from the fans. And it's coming from other DC fans! One would think they could at least enjoy talking with fellow DC fans about these movies, but t'ain't so.

Why are people surprised Jokers doing well ? Its a dirt cheap movie about one of the most iconic villains in one of the top 5 superheroes rogues gallery starring a very good actor guven wird of mouth via people worrying over amerucans with mental health issues and firearms.

It was going to sell well one way or the other.