Page 201 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1011511911971981992002012022032042052112513017011201 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 20948
    Mighty Member

‘The Suicide Squad’: Deadshot Removed from Sequel as Idris Elba Moves to New Character

Though the next installment in the “Suicide Squad” franchise is moving full-steam ahead with the addition of Idris Elba to the team, the movie will now move forward without one of its main characters.

Though it was previously reported that Elba would be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in the new pic, sources now tell Variety that all parties including director James Gunn have decided to move on from the Deadshot character, with Elba playing a new character in “The Suicide Squad.”

Warner Bros. had no comment on the decision.

It is unknown what character Elba would now be playing, but after taking the last few weeks to discuss, everyone involved felt this was the right move. The team also did not want to feel as if it was disrespecting Smith, who helped bring this character to life for the first time, by replacing him with Elba. While many believe chances are still slim for a future return, the decision keeps the door open for Smith to possibly come back in future films, since his original reason for leaving had to do with scheduling and not creative differences.

Variety first reported in February that Smith would not be appearing in the next film and Warner Bros. and Gunn moved instantly to add Elba to the team after the director and actor sat down days after Smith’s departure. The meeting went so well that Elba agreed on the spot to join the next installment, but even at that time it was not set in stone whether he’d be playing Deadshot or a brand new member of the team.

With this decision, it looks like the only two characters expected to return are Harley Quinn with Margot Robbie reprising that role, Jai Courtney’s Captain Boomerang and Viola Davis’ Amanda Waller. Gunn is in the process of casting the remaining team members with production expected to start in the fall. The film is scheduled to bow on Aug. 6, 2021.

The original “Suicide Squad” — starring Smith, Jared Leto and Robbie — became a massive box office sensation when it hit theaters in 2016, grossing $746 million worldwide.
    Last edited by Beantownbrown; 04-05-2019 at 02:14 PM.

It's Bronze Tiger time! Do it, James Gunn!

Good, but who? Bronze Tiger?

Thank gawd! I was so disappointed when they initially announced him as Deadshot. Idris Elba is way too awesome of an actor to just be Will Smith’s replacement. He deserves his own character. Please be Bronze Tiger!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Thank gawd! I was so disappointed when they initially announced him as Deadshot. Idris Elba is way too awesome of an actor to just be Will Smith’s replacement. He deserves his own character. Please be Bronze Tiger!!!
    I have to say I'd LOVE to see Elba as Bronze Tiger (who was something missing from the first SUCIDE SQUAD film which I didn't hate but lets not go there)

Sounds like they want to leave the door open in case Will wants to come back for SS 3 another movie featuring Deadshot.

Retired

Or maybe they would put Deadshot in another kind of movie.

I thought Elba would've been pretty wasted as Deadshot (especially replacing Will Smith's Deadshot) so I'm happy with this .

Now he better be playing Bronze Tiger or bust .

BANNED

He was never Deadshot to begin with. There was zero confirmation and Idris or WB never said he would be playing Deadshot. People assumed he would out of nowhere then the rumor spread.

I hope Idris is a character big enough to lead his own franchise. He’s a leading man and it would be great if they set him up accordingly. He doesn’t have to be an original Suicide Squad member. Vic & Doom Patrol works just fine.

I could see a cinematic Black Lightning being introduced some how. By the time this movie drops the tv series could be concluded and ripe for the picking!
    Last edited by Iconic; 04-05-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I hope Idris is a character big enough to lead his own franchise. He’s a leading man and it would be great if they set him up accordingly. He doesn’t have to be an original Suicide Squad member. Vic & Doom Patrol works just fine. I could see a cinematic Black Lightning being introduced some how.
    Elba’s star power and charisma could make the character very popular even if he’s playing a lesser known hero like Bronze Tiger. Not a lot of people outside of pop culture circles know who Black Adam is, but when/if the movie starring the Rock gets made that character will be huge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I hope Idris is a character big enough to lead his own franchise. He’s a leading man and it would be great if they set him up accordingly. He doesn’t have to be an original Suicide Squad member. Vic & Doom Patrol works just fine.

I could see a cinematic Black Lightning being introduced some how. By the time this movie drops the tv series will be concluded and ripe for the picking!
    Who says it will be concluded?

Elba’s star power and charisma could make the character very popular even if he’s playing a lesser known hero like Bronze Tiger. Not a lot of people outside of pop culture circles know who Black Adam is, but when/if the movie starring the Rock gets made that character will be huge.
    True, but Black Adam ties to Shazam and has a built in supporting cast because of it. Not quite the same for Bronze Tiger. He’s a martial artist with not much else going on as far as the comics go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Who says it will be concluded?
    Let me retract that. It was speculation in an article I read.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Not necessarily, The Rock's name on the poster doesn't make a movie a guaranteed hit. He’s had quite a few flops lately.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 04-05-2019 at 07:30 PM.

More good news for the DCEU!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut