Page 398 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 298348388394395396397398399400401402408448498898 ... LastLast
Results 5,956 to 5,970 of 20948
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This thread seems to have been re-covering old ground a lot in the last few weeks. Older topics seem to have resurfaced and been argued over yet again and I may have figured out why.

The negative crowd have been struggling to present the Joker movie in a negative light. It's had a pretty good critical response and even more importantly has been a huge hit with audiences around the world. It's been very difficult for certain members to frame the movie in a way that presents it as a complete failure somehow. The usual 'Well, it's a DC movie so it probably needed to gross three billion just to break even' argument just wouldn't wash with this one. Neither did the 'Well, it's a critical failure as far as I'm concerned...'.

Well, now they've maybe got a reason. It turns out that WB had little faith in the movies profitability and ended up co-financing the project with investors, which is now costing them a big chunk of the huge profits earned. That's it. Case closed. Joker's a flop! Why do they bother with these DC films? REEEEEEEEEEEE.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-05-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Joker is going to make 1 billion
    Most profitable movie WB/DC has made
    I'm tempted to say the success is down to a lot of movies flopping and Joker's name recognition along with all the bad press for the movie turning into publicity hype but then you also have Aquaman making 1 billion in December
    Still its a really good showing for an R rated DC property
    DC should look into doing more movies with the character(not sequels to this movie its perfect)

Pressure is definitely on BoP to make that kind of money with its small budget
    No pressure on BOp to make anywhere near what Joker did. that's like expecting An Asylum Dinosaur knock off to make the same kind of money as Jurassic park because they are both movies about dinosaurs

The negative crowd have been struggling to present the Joker movie in a negative light. It's had a pretty good critical response and even more importantly has been a huge hit with audiences around the world. It's been very difficult for certain members to frame the movie in a way that presents it as a complete failure somehow. The usual 'Well, it's a DC movie so it probably needed to gross three billion just to break even' argument just wouldn't wash with this one. Neither did the 'Well, it's a critical failure as far as I'm concerned...'.

Well, now they've maybe got a reason. It turns out that WB had little faith in the movies profitability and ended up co-financing the project with investors, which is now costing them a big chunk of the huge profits earned. That's it. Case closed. Joker's a flop! Why do they bother with these DC films? REEEEEEEEEEEE.
    Well I never said anything about joker flopping at all. It didn't flop. I just pointed out what is getting reported that wb more or less has to pay 50% of a film profits when they didn't have to. Never said anything there about good or bad dc movies are just then.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-05-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well I never said anything about joker flopping at all. It didn't flop. I just pointed out what is getting reported that wb more or less has to pay 50% of a film profits when they didn't have to. Never said anything there about good or bad dc movies are just then.
    Oh, that last post was just me being generally cheeky as much as anything else. It definitely wasn't aimed at you personally. Apologies if you thought so.

Whenever we get a successful DC movie there always seems to be someone that wants to come on here and piss all over that parade. I was just playing on that constant negativity is all.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Whenever we get a successful DC movie there always seems to be someone that wants to come on here and piss all over that parade. I was just playing on that constant negativity is all.
    It has been the case over the years, but it really can't be done (creditably) this time. A financial and critical success (not to mention the most profitable CB movie all-time - DC or Marvel - and also the highest-grossing R-rated film featuring a CB character), it sounds pretty bulletproof to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Oh, that last post was just me being generally cheeky as much as anything else. It definitely wasn't aimed at you personally. Apologies if you thought so.

I'm sorry about that then. Didn't get you were joking. Sorry.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Besides, even if WB wound up giving away every single cent of their profit for whatever silly reason, it wouldn't change a single thing regarding Joker's success.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

No problem at all. Looking back at it I did make that post just after you mentioned this whole 'sharing the profits' thing so it could have easily been construed as a personal dig at you, which it wasn't. The timing of the post is on me. Apologies again.

It's not that WB are above reproach either. I was livid when they released Justice League in the mish-mash way that they did. Like they'd learned nothing from BvS.

I've just seen that Joker has grossed over £64 million here in the UK. That's an enormous figure for this country which is more Marvel-centric. That must place the movie as the biggest ever from DC on these shores.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Colin Farrell In Talks To Play Penguin, Rounding Out ‘The Batman’ Villain Trio: https://deadline.com/2019/11/colin-f...st-1202766532/

Andy Serkis in Talks to Play Alfred Pennyworth in ‘The Batman’: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...an-1203393996/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Colin Farrell In Talks To Play Penguin, Rounding Out ‘The Batman’ Villain Trio: https://deadline.com/2019/11/colin-f...st-1202766532/

Andy Serkis in Talks to Play Alfred Pennyworth in ‘The Batman’: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...an-1203393996/
    I hope we don't get another pretty boy Penguin with Farrell.

Serkis as Alfred should be...interesting. It's not that I can't see it, but Alfred seems kind of too conventional for Serkis.

Although it seems like the age differences between the Batmen and their Alfred's is getting smaller with every subsequent reboot .

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Wow. This is a great cast so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope we don't get another pretty boy Penguin with Farrell.

Serkis as Alfred should be...interesting. It's not that I can't see it, but Alfred seems kind of too conventional for Serkis.

Although it seems like the age differences between the Batmen and their Alfred's is getting smaller with every subsequent reboot .
    Agreed. Don’t want to see The Penguin better looking than Bruce Wayne.

Serkis is so amazingly talented that it seems kind of like a waste to cast him as Alfred. Would much rather see him as one of Batman’s colorful villains. Scarecrow, Mad-hatter, or The Ventriloquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Serkis is so amazingly talented that it seems kind of like a waste to cast him as Alfred. Would much rather see him as one of Batman’s colorful villains. Scarecrow, Mad-hatter, or The Ventriloquist.
    Yeah, he seems like he'd be a better fit for a villain. His mo-cap work makes him seem perfect for Clayface.

He's said in the past he wants to do stuff other than motion capture. I am guessing that is why Black Panther appeared to him; he was obviously having the time of his life in his brief screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He's said in the past he wants to do stuff other than motion capture. I am guessing that is why Black Panther appeared to him; he was obviously having the time of his life in his brief screentime.
    And, once again, he really enjoyed playing the devilish villain .

I am still disappointed they killed Klaw off before turning him into a living sound monster, but that probably would have involved mo-cap .