Page 142 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 42921321381391401411421431441451461521922426421142 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 20948
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    So characters don't matter, just their superhero name... Ok
    Well when you fail to build up your POC over the past 40 years. It makes everyone fair game to get race changed.

There is NOTHING preventing DC from having the Birds of Prey from the 90s run except one thing. The lingering failure to build up POC.

Because what good is Dinah being black in a movie? She's not going to change her race in the comics. It's not going to boost her up because she's not the same as the comic version.

Where is that black Catwoman at? We had two of them. Look at the mess known as Wally West.

If this was being done for BUSINESS-meaning lets help get some more of those BOP trades along with Cassandra's, Harley, Dinah's and whoever else off the shelves in terms of sales.

They were not thinking big picture.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Setting that aside it is odd they had this new black/PoC version of the character and decided to change Black Canary's race instead for the movie. Just shows how little influence the comics have on these big productions like this. I wonder if they felt they needed to make Black Canary the poc because of the black title in her name. That is something I was wondering about.
    That's certainly the way it seems which is my only real problem with the race swapping in this case. It strikes me as reductive and borderline racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And being blonde, which, of all those traits, seem to be one thing confirmed to still be the case with this version of Canary .
    Black Canary has also had black hair.
    DC has different versions of Black Canary across the multi verse, most of them women of color.
    In the DCEU Black Canary is a young black woman. Huntress is a young white woman. That's it. It doesn't really require any rationalization. It just is in this universe.
    And since DC's movies rarely inform the comics, one needn't twist their pearl necklaces about Dinah becoming black in the comics. Smdh.

Just reading comments and clearly there’s one group invested in the looks of characters. I’ll guess there were decades where everyone looked the same. Since I’ve been reading comics, the looks have been shifting quite a bit. I don’t have a defined look for the most part. I don’t think characters should have set looks. They should change regularly in order to better reflect pop culture. Things like nose rings & tattoos are pretty common so characters should have that stuff. My 2 cents. I really like the Black Canary look.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well when you fail to build up your POC over the past 40 years. It makes everyone fair game to get race changed.

There is NOTHING preventing DC from having the Birds of Prey from the 90s run except one thing. The lingering failure to build up POC.

Because what good is Dinah being black in a movie? She's not going to change her race in the comics. It's not going to boost her up because she's not the same as the comic version.

Where is that black Catwoman at? We had two of them. Look at the mess known as Wally West.

If this was being done for BUSINESS-meaning lets help get some more of those BOP trades along with Cassandra's, Harley, Dinah's and whoever else off the shelves in terms of sales.

DC is wasting so many awesome characters of non white origin in movies,. There are just so many to pick from, why waste swapping characters outside appearance, when they have the genuine articles in droves in the Comics that could be huge breakout stars

Race swapping comics versions and film adaptations are two separate beast IMO. Wally West is the perfect example

Classic Ginger Wally is my Flash and always will be I grew up with him watched him join the Justice League, his friendships, him marrying Linda and have a kids. I HATED New 52 biracial Wally when introduced and why? Not his race if he was a new Kid Flash and new member of the West family I'd have no issue it was him replacing the Wally I loved DC acting like my Wally no longer existed or mattered. Now I like Kid Wally why he's no longer replacing my Wally they're cousins who were named for the same grandfather very normal to happen in a family and they co-exist. Creating new racially diverse versions of existing heroes isn't the real issue except for those few who will never except anyone who isn't their fav like "H.E.A.T." and Kyle Rayner replacing Hal but that didn't stop Kyle from being successful in his own right. Creating new Atoms, Hawk People, Firestorms, Freedom Fighters, Dr. Fates, Flashes, GLs, Green Arrows and ect is usually no big deal it's replacing the person behind the mask with a new version of that same person negating the older version that really sticks in most people crawls.

CW Wally I have no issue with doesn't bother me he's African American because he's not replacing anyone he's his own interpretation of the character which all film and TV adaptations are I mean all the Batmen have been white but has there ever been a live action Batman anyone would say perfectly matches the comics? No TV and film always takes liberties as long as they stay true to the core of the character I have no issues.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Black Canary has also had black hair.
    Right. Her hair was naturally dark a lot longer than it was blonde, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right. Her hair was naturally dark a lot longer than it was blonde, too.
    Yeah, but everyone remembers and thinks of her as a blonde, which is probably why that's not the case anymore .

Last edited by Confuzzled; 02-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    There is no such thing as concrete continuity in comics anymore. Characters change races and sexual orientation all the time to show progress. Comic readers have to accept the fact that only the hero name is the only constant. Decades when the DCEU is rebooted the Trinity will undergo a race and sexual orientation change among them.
    In the new DC Super-heroine cartoon, Wonder Woman is pretty dark. She's obviously Mediterranean, but she's much darker than she's ever been portrayed before.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In the new DC Super-heroine cartoon, Wonder Woman is pretty dark. She's obviously Mediterranean, but she's much darker than she's ever been portrayed before.
    She speaks with an accent too. Nicola Scott and Clay Mann have also been drawing Diana with Mediterranean/Arab features, to closer resemble Gal Gadot.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Her being white in the movie wouldnÂ’t have boosted her comic sales either.
    No one made this argument when the MCU racebended Hiemdall, Murdo and Ghost so why are we making this argument for Black Canary?

What does this have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    DC has different versions of Black Canary across the multi verse, most of them women of color.
    What other versions of Black Canary are women of color?

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    DC is wasting so many awesome characters of non white origin in movies,. There are just so many to pick from, why waste swapping characters outside appearance, when they have the genuine articles in droves in the Comics that could be huge breakout stars
    Again, why are people acting like WB is adverse to using characters of non white origin just because of this one race lift? ThatÂ’s not been true of the past DC movies. Hell, it isnÂ’t even true of Birds of Prey which has Renee Montoya and Cass Cain, two characters who are poc in the comics.

IÂ’d also like to point out that a not-so-small number of people on this site all but threw a parade when CyborgÂ’s movie was cancelled. Where was the support for black characters then?

Astonishing Member

When the dust clears HQ might have the most appearances in the DCEU films. WB is clearly in love with the character even though they waited 4 years for her to reappear. I get that her merch is popular but Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is way more popular than Margot's HQ but I didn't see Fox try to jam him in every single movie project pre-Disney acquisition.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one made this argument when the MCU racebended Hiemdall, Murdo and Ghost so why are we making this argument for Black Canary?
    I'm pretty sure that the first two unleashed quite a lot of complains, actually. Heimdall probably more than Mordu, because of Norse religions and the kind of peoples who now comprise the majority of peoples who adheres to Heathenry or pretends to care about Scandinavian roots. But even Mordru had some backlash, back in the day.