Page 266 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1662162562622632642652662672682692702763163667661266 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    https://discussingfilm.net/2019/06/1...man-exclusive/

Two-Face and the Mad Hatter will reportedly be in Reeves' Batman movie as well.
    I was wondering if we'd get a pre Two-Face Harvey Dent.

Hatter is cool if only because we haven't seen him in a movie yet.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Is there any villain that won't be there?
    Probably not Darth Vader, Bluto, Professor Moriarty, or Ming the Merciless.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

The stuff that Matt Reeves originally said about his Batman movie piqued my interest, because it sounded like he was going to finally break the cookie-cutter for every Batman movie going back to 1966--with a bunch of costumed villains jammed into the story--and instead tell a great detective yarn (like there used to be in DETECTIVE COMIC back in the early 1970s). But the more information that comes out, the more it sounds like his Batman movie is going to be like every other Batman movie.

The bunch of villains actually makes this sound more like a detective film to me, not less. Round up the usual suspects, and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The stuff that Matt Reeves originally said about his Batman movie piqued my interest, because it sounded like he was going to finally break the cookie-cutter for every Batman movie going back to 1966--with a bunch of costumed villains jammed into the story--and instead tell a great detective yarn (like there used to be in DETECTIVE COMIC back in the early 1970s). But the more information that comes out, the more it sounds like his Batman movie is going to be like every other Batman movie.
    You can still have a detective story with a bunch of villains. I doubt each one will show up with equal screentime and same level of threat. We have had a bunch of villains before but they never really feel very balanced outside of the Nolan films and Batman 66.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The bunch of villains actually makes this sound more like a detective film to me, not less. Round up the usual suspects, and what not.
    An adaptation of Hush, perhaps?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    An adaptation of Hush, perhaps?
    I don't see Reeves adapting Hush. I think he's more of a fan of Long Halloween, which also had a lot of Batman villains.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Firefly in a BATMAN movie? Sounds good to me. Hope he is wearing this costume.

RainbowFirefly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see Reeves adapting Hush. I think he's more of a fan of Long Halloween, which also had a lot of Batman villains.
    I feel like Long Halloween is the closest comparison you can draw to already existing material from all the details we've heard so far. A pretty good starting point for a younger Batman post-origin story.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The big rumor is it is a version of the long Halloween.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/02/01/...ong-halloween/

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You can still have a detective story with a bunch of villains.
    That's true, but it will be a different kind of detective story. The original statements from Reeves had me thinking of the Batman detective stories that didn't feature any costumed criminals and had the Masked Manhunter in the dark streets of Gotham, investigating a ground level mystery. I guess, I let my imagination run away with me and hoped I would get the sort of Batman movie I've always imagined, where there wasn't this distraction of bright, glitzy escapees from a lunatic asylum.

Maybe Reeves never was saying what I thought he was. But giving the audience costumed crooks changes their expectations from the picture. They won't be in the proper frame of mind to follow a yarn that's all about the Batman searching for clues and investigating a complicated plot. They'll be waiting for the next shiney thing to pop up on screen. It's like giving kids a bag full of candies to munch on and then expecting them to settle down and listen to a bedtime story about Henry Huggins.

That's true, but it will be a different kind of detective story. The original statements from Reeves had me thinking of the Batman detective stories that didn't feature any costumed criminals and had the Masked Manhunter in the dark streets of Gotham, investigating a ground level mystery. I guess, I let my imagination run away with me and hoped I would get the sort of Batman movie I've always imagined, where there wasn't this distraction of bright, glitzy escapees from a lunatic asylum.

Maybe Reeves never was saying what I thought he was. But giving the audience costumed crooks changes their expectations from the picture. They won't be in the proper frame of mind to follow a yarn that's all about the Batman searching for clues and investigating a complicated plot. They'll be waiting for the next shiney thing to pop up on screen. It's like giving kids a bag full of candies to munch on and then expecting them to settle down and listen to a bedtime story about Henry Huggins.
    I think we'll get a good mix of down-to-Earth detective stuff and larger then life villains and Batman stuff, which I think is probably for the best.

So, somewhat Nolan/Noir-esque but maybe more comic booky and out there then what Nolan did.

Retired

For all the grit that we got in the Nolan movies, we nevertheless had a Bruce Wayne who depended on Alfred Pennyworth, Lucius Fox and Jim Gordon to do the heavy thinking.

For all the grit that we got in the Nolan movies, we nevertheless had a Bruce Wayne who depended on Alfred Pennyworth, Lucius Fox and Jim Gordon to do the heavy thinking.
    I think that might change here, if only because I think Reeves will emphasize Batman's detective skills more then we have senn in past movies on-top of all the other Batman staples.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we'll get a good mix of down-to-Earth detective stuff and larger then life villains and Batman stuff, which I think is probably for the best.

So, somewhat Nolan/Noir-esque but maybe more comic booky and out there then what Nolan did.
    This is what I'm hoping for. I want the atmosphere from the Burton movies, the drama and detail of the Nolan movies, and the costumed personalities from the 66 movie. Not exactly like them but a nice blend of campy, fun and dramatic.