Page 344 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2442943343403413423433443453463473483543944448441344 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    they said they are focusing on solo movies, but then Birds of Prey says otherwise. Sure the Batman movie looks like a reboot, but who knows in a few years? I don't think WB really know what's going to happen..

I think WB will try again for a more connected universe if they get some successful solo films. I hope so.
    Birds of Prey kind of is a solo film though - BoP is kind of one franchise, each individual in it isn't isn't another franchise unto themselves, except Harley. And the actress behind Harley is the only reason we're getting a BoP.

And after seeing their last attempts, I really hope they don't try at connecting everything again. Why would anyone hope for that to be repeated?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How? They're stand alone, how could the mess up other movies? Just as long as they're good or alright it should be fine.
    I just think seeing multiple different versions of one character or property on-screen could be a bit much, but that's just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’d be totally fine with either a reboot or a continuous or soft reboot using Cavill’s MoS. What I really don’t want to see is a full Elseworld. Let’s try to get the traditional version of Superman right before moving onto something like Red Son or Kingdom Come.

JJ bringing Brainiac to the big screen for the first time ever would be enough to sell tickets.
    You can still get a traditional Superman in an Elseworld you know, especially here where "Elseworld" probably means nothing more than "Has nothing to do with the prvious DCEU". It could be the most faithful Superman ever put on screen, just not be part of any attempt at a shared universe.

Which is what I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping for here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just think seeing multiple different versions of one character or property on-screen could be a bit much, but that's just my take on it.
    Comic fans are used to it, movie goers have seen several reboots now, why assume it'd be too much? Plus at the rate DC movies come out, it's not like we'd be flooded with different versions of the same characters, we're talking 2 or 3 versions like a decade here probably.

You can still get a traditional Superman in an Elseworld you know, especially here where "Elseworld" probably means nothing more than "Has nothing to do with the prvious DCEU". It could be the most faithful Superman ever put on screen, just not be part of any attempt at a shared universe.

Which is what I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping for here.
    To me an Elseworld is usually a non traditional (What If) story like Red Son. There are exceptions I guess.

Birds of Prey kind of is a solo film though - BoP is kind of one franchise, each individual in it isn't isn't another franchise unto themselves, except Harley. And the actress behind Harley is the only reason we're getting a BoP.

And after seeing their last attempts, I really hope they don't try at connecting everything again. Why would anyone hope for that to be repeated?
    Well I really want another Justice League movie, for instance. I don't need every film to be super connected, but I don't want big contradictions either.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    To me an Elseworld is usually a non traditional (What If) story like Red Son. There are exceptions I guess.
    Yeah, Elseworlds in comics. For films, at this point though, I think it's just more about not being a part of the universe Snyder kicked off.

Well I really want another Justice League movie, for instance. I don't need every film to be super connected, but I don't want big contradictions either.
    I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Even if there are no contradictions and everything is still connected and part of a shared universe, I can't imagine WB being willing to risk doing another JL movie after the last one, at least not until a solid decade has passed. See how long the last GL film was to the next one (which, you know, there still isn't a next one)? Yeah, that's the timeframe I'm predicting for the next JL film.

Comic fans are used to it, movie goers have seen several reboots now, why assume it'd be too much? Plus at the rate DC movies come out, it's not like we'd be flooded with different versions of the same characters, we're talking 2 or 3 versions like a decade here probably.
    Comic fans are used to it but they usually have a clear thoroughline for what's in-continuity and what's not. The DC movies don't have a strong baseline for them to be dishing out Elseworlds movies in my opinion.

Comic fans are used to it but they usually have a clear thoroughline for what's in-continuity and what's not. The DC movies don't have a strong baseline for them to be dishing out Elseworlds movies in my opinion.
    They probably will figure it out in marketing or advertising by the time it could possibly be a problem. Either something is so different as to be obvious this is an Elseworld like Red Son Superman (everyone knows Supes usually ain't Russian) that people will get it, or it'll be a relatively small one shot like JOKER that it doesn't matter much. By the time they get to similar/same characters also in use in major films like Batman, they'll probably have a dedicated Elseworld line/label to clue everyone in.

A movie adaptation pretty much an elseworld anyway given it's an alternate universe different from the comic version in some ways.

I get what you mean. Honestly I think DC should go the James Bond/Burton & Schumacher approach with their universe. Where even if actors change or swamp out, it's basically that same version of the character. Think different actors almost like different art styles or creative teams on an ongoing. Then have a seperate Black/Vertigo or whatever label for stuff like Joker and another for animated big screen projects. (DC needs more of these)

As to everyone else, he knows the movies are inherently "elseworlds". What he means is a baseline coherent movie universe (ala MCU).
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Birds of Prey is a team built of different characters from different franchises. How is it one franchise when it's built on separate ones?

It's only a solo if you completely wipe away everything that makes these characters.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Birds of Prey is a team built of different characters from different franchises. How is it one franchise when it's built on separate ones?

It's only a solo if you completely wipe away everything that makes these characters.
    It's a solo because the characters aren't viewed as popular enough to ever support a solo film. BoP is a solo in the same vein I'd consider the Fantastic Four a solo project - the MCU will never have a Ben Grimm solo pic, he'll always be in a FF movie. Likewise I don't see any of these characters getting a solo movie, they'll only ever be on BoP or other team movies. Doesn't matter if comics wise their from their own franchises, chances are WB view their cinematic prospects as one franchise, the BoP, and not as several solo franchises coming together ala Avengers or Justice League. So yeah, BoP is a solo "team" film as opposed to a multiple franchises crossover team film.

Quote Originally Posted by capNthor View Post
    I have a big problem with this marketing. When Guardians, probably Eternals, and even Suicide Squad came out they threw you all the characters and gave you a reason to want to get to know them, and show you want interesting and diverse characters are going to mash up. This is all Harley Quinn and the rest are wallpaper. Its early granted, but I have serious doubts thats going to change. I have no interest in looking deeper at the characters of Huntress, Black Canary, etc.

I have a strong feeling this is due to test audiences not really liking any of the Birds of Prey team members besides Harley. In any case, they can put Harley in center of a team shot, but to just focus only on her might not give me any interest to see this film - I liked her in Suicide Squad, but the movie was an abortion and the aesthetic of the film harkens back to it way to much. Getting new, fresh characters that might interest me might.
    The others were wall paper the from the start. The minute Robbie swapped the movie from GCS to BOP. The minute we saw the shots of Harley in lots of different costumes while everyone had just one.

The minute we heard the full title.
    Personally I'm glad to hear others were breakout stars since this whole thing smells of Robbie not wanting any serious competition.

I liked the poster and as a Harley fan I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm not happy that she hijacked BOP but I don't care enough to be really upset. Also not surprised that this is a Harley Quin movie

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The others were wall paper the from the start. The minute Robbie swapped the movie from GCS to BOP. The minute we saw the shots of Harley in lots of different costumes while everyone had just one.

The minute we heard the full title.
    Personally I'm glad to hear others were breakout stars since this whole thing smells of Robbie not wanting any serious competition.

I liked the poster and as a Harley fan I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm not happy that she hijacked BOP but I don't care enough to be really upset. Also not surprised that this is a Harley Quin movie
    I mean, does it really count as hijacking when she's the only reason the BoP are getting a movie? I mean, we can always dream that without her a "true" BoP movie would have happened some day...but that's just a dream.

Fantastic Member

It's a solo because the characters aren't viewed as popular enough to ever support a solo film. BoP is a solo in the same vein I'd consider the Fantastic Four a solo project - the MCU will never have a Ben Grimm solo pic, he'll always be in a FF movie. Likewise I don't see any of these characters getting a solo movie, they'll only ever be on BoP or other team movies. Doesn't matter if comics wise their from their own franchises, chances are WB view their cinematic prospects as one franchise, the BoP, and not as several solo franchises coming together ala Avengers or Justice League. So yeah, BoP is a solo "team" film as opposed to a multiple franchises crossover team film.
    Black Canary is being received well enough that there's already talk of a solo BC movie or a Green Arrow/Black Canary movie.