Page 406 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416456506906 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,090 of 20948
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If it's Barbara, so far this is the 3rd character turned from white to black. I hope Reeves and WB are aware that diversity isn't limited to black and white.
    I'm sure they're aware of that. But once Commissioner Gordon was going to be played by an African American actor, the character's daughter couldn't exactly be asian.

If it's Barbara, so far this is the 3rd character turned from white to black. I hope Reeves and WB are aware that diversity isn't limited to black and white.
    I agree that it does look bad when characters are only changed from white to black, but if James Gordon is black, well, his progeny is going to be as well.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Yeah casting Jeffrey Wright as Gordon, and her role being kept secret, makes Barbara a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I'm sure they're aware of that. But once Commissioner Gordon was going to be played by an African American actor, the character's daughter couldn't exactly be asian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I agree that it does look bad when characters are only changed from white to black, but if James Gordon is black, well, his progeny is going to be as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah casting Jeffrey Wright as Gordon, and her role being kept secret, makes Barbara a distinct possibility.
    They had a chance to change that if they had cast Ana de Armas as Catwoman, since she was reportedly one of the frontrunners, and have the character be of Cuban descent like the current comic version. They didn't, so I thought it was worth pointing out how one-sided the changing of the characters has been so far.

Though I wasn't aware that apparently Andy Serkis is of Middle-Eastern descent on his father's side, so if he does get cast as Alfred, he counts as a white character changed into something other than black.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    https://collider.com/jayme-lawson-joins-the-batman/

People are saying she's Batgirl.

Even if she's playing Barbara, that doesn't necessarily make her Batgirl (but it might).

Sorry Tiffany. I guess you're not the Black Batgirl anymore .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even if she's playing Barbara, that doesn't necessarily make her Batgirl (but it might).

Sorry Tiffany. I guess you're not the Black Batgirl anymore .
    She's a cute kid, at any rate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    She's a cute kid, at any rate.
    How old is she?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

How old is she?
    I have no idea, but I assume she's still a kid in comparison to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Now I'm suddenly expecting them to promote her as the next Letita Wright/Shuri .

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I'm not one that particularly cares about the race bending of most characters (some I do have an issue with, but most I honestly don't care). However, I'm starting to join the crowd that wants to see something other than just white and black actors/actresses. I mean, if they have a memo to specifically push diversity, then it's time to start stretching out a little into the Asian and Hispanic realms because why not at this point?

Edit: I'm really hoping Andy Serkis is cast as Alfred as Alfred's casting is my next most anticipated. Early rumors and some fan wishes included Pierce Brosnan and Ralph Fiennes and I'd be fine with either of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I'm not one that particularly cares about the race bending of most characters (some I do have an issue with, but most I honestly don't care). However, I'm starting to join the crowd that wants to see something other than just white and black actors/actresses. I mean, if they have a memo to specifically push diversity, then it's time to start stretching out a little into the Asian and Hispanic realms because why not at this point?

Edit: I'm really hoping Andy Serkis is cast as Alfred as Alfred's casting is my next most anticipated. Early rumors and some fan wishes included Pierce Brosnan and Ralph Fiennes and I'd be fine with either of them as well.
    We've had an Arab Halo, a half-Vietnamese Artemis Crock and an Indian Dolphin in Young Justice, latino Wild Dog and Wildcat in Arrow, a Japanese Mercy Graves, a half-Japanese Beast Boy on Titans, a latina Crazy Jane on Doom Patrol and a Polynesian Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post

I think it's interesting how white redheads are the characters who are most frequently turned black. There are some exceptions like the Smallville version of Lana Lang or the Supergirl version of Maggie Sawyer, but usually when I see a white redhead being raceswapped is almost exclusively turned black. What is it about white characters with red hair that is so compelling to particularly turn black. Are redheads somehow supposed to be "whiter" than other white people. lol It's all in jest, but it's curious why they choose that specific group to raceswap into another specific group 99% of the time. Seems like the only time a character like that isn't changed is if the character has a love interest from a diverse background.

I think it's interesting how white redheads are the characters who are most frequently turned black. There are some exceptions like the Smallville version of Lana Lang or the Supergirl version of Maggie Sawyer, but usually when I see a white redhead being raceswapped is almost exclusively turned black. What is it about white characters with red hair that is so compelling to particularly turn black. Are redheads somehow supposed to be "whiter" than other white people. lol It's all in jest, but it's curious why they choose that specific group to raceswap into another specific group 99% of the time. Seems like the only time a character like that isn't changed is if the character has a love interest from a diverse background.
    It's because red-heads are mostly support characters, so, if you have to change a person's colour to meet a quota then chances are, its going to be a red-headed person.

Also, I think the reason why most red-headed people in comics are red-headed isn't because they are Irish/Celtic, rather its for sex appeal and its used by authors to help distinguish characters as artists tend to draw the same face over and over again (For example, see nearly any anime ever produced).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Now I'm suddenly expecting them to promote her as the next Letita Wright/Shuri .
    io9 is claiming she's playing a character named Bella, a "grassroots political candidate". Which doesn't rule out her being Babs, really.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-batman-j...ter-1839784497

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We've had an Arab Halo, a half-Vietnamese Artemis Crock and an Indian Dolphin in Young Justice, latino Wild Dog and Wildcat in Arrow, a Japanese Mercy Graves, a half-Japanese Beast Boy on Titans, a latina Crazy Jane on Doom Patrol and a Polynesian Aquaman.
    Sorry, I was speaking specifically to The Batman movie.