Page 174 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 741241641701711721731741751761771781842242746741174 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 20948
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Including Baz down the line wouldn't be a bad thing, especially coupled with Jessica in a movie where **** is hitting the fan and they need more lanterns. He just can't be the face of a franchise with older more fleshed out heroes in better stories that defined the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    I totally disagree, mixing religion with comics, besides you don't know how it will be seen in certain countries. It can be seen as offensive.
    Pretending particular religious communities don't exist is also offensive. It doesn't have to overwhelm a film.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    While all that may be true. Making Hal Jordan the veteran Lantern who takes a backseat to John, wouldn't be destroying the brand. It's similar to what they did with Ant-Man. Focus on the passing of a legacy and make the film the opposite of the 2011 film.
    I don't think we need a "passing of the torch" movie for GL. Just having Hal and John together as a team would be more beneficial to the mythos in my opinion, especially since Hal isn't going anywhere in the comics and isn't in a Hank Pym position.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Marvel showed with Black Panther that there is a huge audience out there for black leads in superhero movies, and WB would be leaving money on the table if they didn't try to grab a piece of that market. Just as I imagine Disney lit a fire under Marvel to bring out a female superhero movie once Wonder Woman showed just how much of a market for female-led superhero movies there was.
    Just don't go into making a GL movie with John Stewart expecting it would be Black Panther.
    The reason why the initial DCEU movies failed were not because they emulated Marvel: it was because they were poorly made and unfun movies with little positive message.
    I don't think it helped that they rushed into a shared cinematic universe to match Marvel to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    As for GL being a tarnished brand, DC has already shown that they can rehabilitate one with Aquaman. And how many people remember the first GL movie outside of these boards. It's ancient history in popular entertainment.
    When they still make jokes about it in Deadpool 2 and the Teen Titans Go! movie, I think that says otherwise.

I totally disagree, mixing religion with comics, besides you don't know how it will be seen in certain countries. It can be seen as offensive.
    That literally makes no sense.

"Here is a positive portrayal of a Arabic Muslim character (and by proxy Islam in general) in a medium that overwhelmingly features negative stereotypes"

How is that offensive ?

Hell being a positive example is why Miss Marvel is so popular. And like Miss Marvel I wouldnt make Baz soley about his religion, it would be interwoven into his character and story. Like he gets the ring and goes to his Imam for advice about the responsibility he now has etc.

The only other Lantern I'd choose potentially would be Guy but it'd be in a very different tone to what people would expect. It'd be a Deadpool esque dark comedy with Guy being an arrogant bastard with enough "aww he does care" moments to win the audience over whilst throwing out bitter meta jokes about Hal failing as a refference to the Ryan Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    It isn't... focusing on only gender isn 't for the best. Limiting the candidates to only women is ridiculous. Let's end this and agree to disagree.
    I never meant that WB should actively seek out a woman just because she is a woman. All I meant is I would prefer if WB hired a woman because I think a woman would be more
    likely to approve movies with female characters as the lead character. It was a woman at CBS, Nina Tassler, that sought out the Supergirl TV show for CBS. She also pushed for
    shows like Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and shows with prominent female leads like Mike and Molly and Elementary. Me wanting movies like Batgirl, Supergirl, and Catwoman
    to be made, I would prefer a woman because I think she was be more inclined to make sure these movies get made.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

WB should make all the DC movies they have in development.
    Release about half to the theaters and release the other movies on the DC Universe Streaming Service .

I wonder if Disney/Marvel is rushing The Eternals to the big screen to counter The New Gods. They’ve already neutered Darkseid. He will forever be seen as the lesser Thanos even though he is the original.

Fantastic Member

They’ll only think Darkseid is the lesser Thanos if the execution is crap. I swear comic book fans overthink everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wonder if Disney/Marvel is rushing The Eternals to the big screen to counter The New Gods. They’ve already neutered Darkseid. He will forever be seen as the lesser Thanos even though he is the original.
    Do we have a release date for both already ?

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    That literally makes no sense.

"Here is a positive portrayal of a Arabic Muslim character (and by proxy Islam in general) in a medium that overwhelmingly features negative stereotypes"

How is that offensive ?

Hell being a positive example is why Miss Marvel is so popular. And like Miss Marvel I wouldnt make Baz soley about his religion, it would be interwoven into his character and story. Like he gets the ring and goes to his Imam for advice about the responsibility he now has etc.

The only other Lantern I'd choose potentially would be Guy but it'd be in a very different tone to what people would expect. It'd be a Deadpool esque dark comedy with Guy being an arrogant bastard with enough "aww he does care" moments to win the audience over whilst throwing out bitter meta jokes about Hal failing as a refference to the Ryan Reynolds
    It is not offensive, but in certain religions in certain countries they have lets say a "strange" concept of what goes and what doesn't. You might have all the good intentions of this world but they have different views and culture. Keep in mind that some religions view superheroes as poisoning the minds with unrealistic fantasies. For me a character can be a follower of buddhism, islam, Christian whatever but I would be very careful. Besides the concept of superheroes is in contrast with religions, these are after all super beings with nearly Godlike powers. Some have alien connections, that itself would pose big theological problems for religions themselves.

It is not offensive, but in certain religions in certain countries they have lets say a "strange" concept of what goes and what doesn't. You might have all the good intentions of this world but they have different views and culture. Keep in mind that some religions view superheroes as poisoning the minds with unrealistic fantasies. For me a character can be a follower of buddhism, islam, Christian whatever but I would be very careful. Besides the concept of superheroes is in contrast with religions, these are after all super beings with nearly Godlike powers. Some have alien connections, that itself would pose big theological problems for religions themselves.
    So nothing then, just vague worries with no real evidence. If Disney can sell Captain America to American hating Russians (they literally had to rename the movie "The first avenger") I think WB can sell a positive portrayal of Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So nothing then, just vague worries with no real evidence. If Disney can sell Captain America to American hating Russians (they literally had to rename the movie "The first avenger") I think WB can sell a positive portrayal of Islam.
    No its different, religions are far more sensitive issues.
    You can have all the good intentions it depends on how it is understood, religions(no one in particular) are the refuge of many good people but also of many ignorant ones. The later are the problem.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I never meant that WB should actively seek out a woman just because she is a woman. All I meant is I would prefer if WB hired a woman because I think a woman would be more
    likely to approve movies with female characters as the lead character. It was a woman at CBS, Nina Tassler, that sought out the Supergirl TV show for CBS. She also pushed for
    shows like Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and shows with prominent female leads like Mike and Molly and Elementary. Me wanting movies like Batgirl, Supergirl, and Catwoman
    to be made, I would prefer a woman because I think she was be more inclined to make sure these movies get made.
    Then I misinterpreted your statement and that is completely different.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Do we have a release date for both already ?
    Eternals are supposed to come out in 2020, New Gods date is still TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    They’ll only think Darkseid is the lesser Thanos if the execution is crap. I swear comic book fans overthink everything.
    With how much they humanized Thanos in the movies I think WB would be smart to emphasize how much of a monster and a god above all Darkseid is.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Indeed.

For one thing? This is a perfect opportunity to return Darkseid to his Kirby roots.

Wanna differentiate between Darkseid and MCU Thanos? How about going back to the idea that Darkseid is an unknowable and ineffable presence in the universe, rather than just another big, scary monster with human traits and weaknesses?

Darkseid literally IS all the evil in the DCU. His very existence is killing the universe. He rarely, if ever, takes action directly. His presence in the universe should be FELT rather than seen. It should be YEARS into the DCEU before anyone even gets a glimpse of him. Even his defeats should ultimately serve his greater plans. When he DOES finally show himself, it should look like he's already won.

If that doesn't seem feasible, then at least don't portray Darkseid as even remotely human. No sympathetic motivations, no feigned nobility, no people he cares for. He is DARKSEID! Lord of Apokolips, God of Evil, Breaker of Worlds!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--