Page 341 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2412913313373383393403413423433443453513914418411341 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 20948

Harley Quinn is a pretty big deal now(some say the biggest deal). She could easily carry her own movie by herself. Its nice that Margot Robbie wants to include other DC females in this adventure
    Still I find it funny how they are trying to distance Harley from Suicide Squad ummm she's going to be in the sequel too

Fantastic Member

It's a harsh day when you realize that niche thing you hold dear means nothing to the greater zeitgest other than IP to be mined for mass entertainment. Don't worry, Robbie will treat your Birds of Prey right.

Personally me, I refused to have the same thing I enjoyed in one form of media repackage to another "greater" one as if that's some for a validation. If you're gonna pimp out my nostalgia, atleast make it sexy and dress it up some. I guess that's why I prefer DC's new actual director driven approach than that of Marvel's.
    Last edited by ross61; 09-18-2019 at 07:09 PM.

I don't think BoP is that niche, even if it's not on Justice League or Teen Titans level.

I also don't know if Robbie will treat BoP right but we're definitely getting her kind of DC female-lead movie. Whether that's actually BoP or not will probably be in the eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like how people continued to try and defend the BoP movie as being a proper team up movie when everything we saw and read about it was it being a Harley and friends movie closer to Deadpool.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Harley Quinn is a pretty big deal now(some say the biggest deal). She could easily carry her own movie by herself. Its nice that Margot Robbie wants to include other DC females in this adventure
    Still I find it funny how they are trying to distance Harley from Suicide Squad ummm she's going to be in the sequel too
    Yeah! So nice of her to include the actual birds of prey team in their own movie. /s
    So much of a big deal that dc should change to HQ comics. Sheesh! I can't believe we are going to be stuck with this nonsense for a while. Most people who "love" harley quinn don't even know what the character's history is. Her being made into an icon of female empowerment is the joke of the century for me. I can't wait for people to get over this phase. I am starting to wish she as a character never went beyond the tas.

Fantastic Member

Birds of Prey is definitely niche. No one but comic fans know who they are. Using Harley to boost they’re profile is definitely a good movie. I mean, look at the box office of the last niche DC character.

With DC’s new approach ch, either the director will follow the source material or they won’t. Something you gotta deal with... or don’t lol
    Last edited by ross61; 09-18-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! So nice of her to include the actual birds of prey team in their own movie. /s
    So much of a big deal that dc should change to HQ comics. Sheesh! I can't believe we are going to be stuck with this nonsense for a while. Most people who "love" harley quinn don't even know what the character's history is. Her being made into an icon of female empowerment is the joke of the century for me. I can't wait for people to get over this phase. I am starting to wish she as a character never went beyond the tas.
    She is a pillar of DC now
    I'd take another Harley movie or two over getting excited by the 3rd Batman remake in the 2000s

The movie wouldn't be happening at all without a certain character's involvement so I'm just going to continue to laugh at some who feel the movie is being hijacked or whatever
    The choice was either GCS or Birds of Prey
    Margot Robbie liked the script for BOP and wanted to work with a female director Cathy Yan
    Her production company is developing the movie so she has a lot of control over the creative process

The magical world of gatekeeping in comics does not apply to the film industry as you see catering and bringing in non hardcore fans is how you make money in the film industry. Then you need to make a good movie

I'd take another Harley movie or two over getting excited by the 3rd Batman remake in the 2000s

The movie wouldn't be happening at all without a certain character's involvement so I'm just going to continue to laugh at some who feel the movie is being hijacked or whatever
    The choice was either GCS or Birds of Prey
    Margot Robbie liked the script for BOP and wanted to work with a female director Cathy Yan
    Her production company is developing the movie so she has a lot of control over the creative process

The magical world of gatekeeping in comics does not apply to the film industry as you see catering and bringing in non hardcore fans is how you make money in the film industry. Then you need to make a good movie
    But instead of having an actual BoP movie that is faithful to the property we are getting a Harley Quinn promotional vehicle. It hurts the chances of having a future BoP movie because they already used the brand for this Harley movie. The BoP property has had long running comic series and even a TV show all without Harley, so it isn't like the property was nothing without her here.

It is a case where I think most BoP fans would have rather this just been a Harley Quinn solo movie outright instead of wasting the BoP title on it, and Harley fans could care less what the title of the movie is because they would go see whatever she is in anyway. The only ones that get screwed over in this are the BoP fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Birds of Prey is definitely niche. No one but comic fans know who they are. Using Harley to boost they’re profile is definitely a good movie. I mean, look at the box office of the last niche DC character.
    Shazam? I don't think he's that niche.
    With DC’s new approach ch, either the director will follow the source material or they won’t. Something you gotta deal with... or don’t lol
    Or just politely disagree with .
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But instead of having an actual BoP movie that is faithful to the property we are getting a Harley Quinn promotional vehicle. It hurts the chances of having a future BoP movie because they already used the brand for this Harley movie. The BoP property has had long running comic series and even a TV show all without Harley, so it isn't like the property was nothing without her here.

It is a case where I think most BoP fans would have rather this just been a Harley Quinn solo movie outright instead of wasting the BoP title on it, and Harley fans could care less what the title of the movie is because they would go see whatever she is in anyway. The only ones that get screwed over in this are the BoP fans.
    Yeah, especially with the new comic this makes me worried they're going to have Harley take over the BoP franchise.

Astonishing Member

I agree she is a pillar of DC for selling merch, but is she a pillar for the DCEU? One movie, 4 years ago, no one is clamoring for her return onscreen. Yeah she was popular for SS but I didn't hear tons of fans asking to return ASAP except some comic book fans.

Why couldn't a Birds of Prey movie happen without Robbie? There are other DC movies happening(although at a snail's pace it seems) without an A-list star or director. If this movie does great that's awesome. But who's to say it couldn't have do well without HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I agree she is a pillar of DC for selling merch, but is she a pillar for the DCEU? One movie, 4 years ago, no one is clamoring for her return onscreen. Yeah she was popular for SS but I didn't hear tons of fans asking to return ASAP except some comic book fans.
    According to Jim Lee, Harley Quinn is the 4th pillar of the DCU, along with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Why couldn't a Birds of Prey movie happen without Robbie? There are other DC movies happening(although at a snail's pace it seems) without an A-list star or director. If this movie does great that's awesome. But who's to say it couldn't have do well without HQ?
    The only person who took an actual interest in bringing the Birds to the big screen was Margot Robbie, and that was prior to the release of Suicide Squad. So, if the Birds are successful and generates spin off of their own (word has it WB/DC is eyeing Black Canary), then it would have been because female producer/star and writer made it happen. Otherwise, there's no guarantee you would have seen them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It makes business sense to focus on Harley as a proven commodity, but Marvel has shown that it's totally possible (maybe even easier) to introduce new characters and make them popular.

A fairly diverse all-girl superhero team (which would be a first) featuring characters with strong connections to the broader DCU and a presence in cartoons and video games? Shouldn't have been hard to market at all. Especially not if you leaned into their unique designs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    According to Jim Lee, Harley Quinn is the 4th pillar of the DCU, along with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.
    Sorry do you mean she's the 4th pillar of the movie universe for DC? Because Aquaman is pretty valuable right now. Superman is in limbo which is too bad IMO. I agree that Batman and WW are pillars.

The MCU has shown you don't need A-list stars or properties to rise to the top. Obscure properties like GOTG can be hot, so why can't BOP without HQ be as good if not better? Someone eventually would have tried to make it happen. Pretty much the majority of DC IP's have been talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    It makes business sense to focus on Harley as a proven commodity, but Marvel has shown that it's totally possible (maybe even easier) to introduce new characters and make them popular.

A fairly diverse all-girl superhero team (which would be a first) featuring characters with strong connections to the broader DCU and a presence in cartoons and video games? Shouldn't have been hard to market at all. Especially not if you leaned into their unique designs.
    I don't think Marvel has done anything of the sort. What they've done is create a powerful brand that people will trust without question. The only property that's not getting a leg up is Eternals, and I don't know that there's as much hype surrounding that film as there is the next Thor film.

For instance, Ant-Man still needed an assist from Avengers appearances both in ads and in the film. GOTG had direct ties to Avengers because of the potential Thanos threat. Spider-man essentially had Tony Stark sit in as Uncle Ben for Peter, while Captain Marvel used popular characters and elements from the MCU and the Infinity Saga to bolster that film. Likewise, Black Widow is reportedly getting a cameo from Tony Stark/Ironman.

In the same vein, the Birds of Prey are hoping to ride Harley's coattails to success.