Page 303 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2032532932993003013023033043053063073133534038031303 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 20948

At least Wonder Woman started the trend that all female Superhero solo movies have to be period pieces (I think) .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Wonder Woman started the trend that all female Superhero solo movies have to be period pieces (I think) .
    The Wonder Woman solo film based on WW1 made total sense for her character, though.

BTW, both Man of Steel and BvS opened big compared to some earlier mcu films, but they didn't have strong legs. Or great critical reviews..

Strong legs is a good indicator of how much audiences liked a film. I think JL had better legs than BvS.. I'm not an expert on box office but that's what I read. Wonder Woman had amazing legs. Aquaman didn't open big, but it had solid legs to pass BvS... It's about how well made and entertaining a blockbuster film is and how audiences embrace them. They didn't love BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Lots of ppl where not really convinced of Gadots WW till she blasted all doubts away with her universally praised powerful appearance in BvS. Without that WW would have tanked. Hard.
    I really don't think so. The prospect of Wonder Woman getting her own movie would've brought attention anyway, and the insanely strong legs the movie had thanks to positive word of mouth likely would've happened regardless. It was a really, really good movie and had nothing crazy divisive in it like MOS or BVS, and that's something that was always gonna help it with audiences, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Why is Batman lumped in here, when he's had TWO billion dollar films, more than any other solo superhero.
    If anything, I think Batman shows that audiences absolutely are willing to accept different iterations of characters, if James Bond wasn't enough.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Some recent stuff, not sure if this has been discussed here already...

Warner Bros. Trying To Get More Black Superheroes In The DCEU
    We Got This Covered has been informed that WB is dedicated to getting more black superheroes in the DCEU. Specifically, they’re trying to bring two characters into the franchise in particular. These are Rocket and Static, two popular teen heroes probably best known to fans for their animated TV appearances. Rocket is part of the Young Justice gang while Static had his own show, Static Shock, from 2000-2004.
    The rest of this is here:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...k-heroes-dceu/

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Some recent stuff, not sure if this has been discussed here already...

The rest of this is here:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...k-heroes-dceu/
    So Milestone characters. Can they even use them in live action? The whole rights thing there always confuses me.

It's from wevegotthis covered, who as discussed, are not a reliable site.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Ah, yeah, makes sense. I figure if they were going to push more black heroes they'd start with more traditional DC characters first like Black Lightning, Steel, and Vixen first before tapping Milestone characters (assuming, again, they even can).

To be fair, they reported months ago that the real Mandarin will be the villain of Shang-Chi and that turned out to be accurate. I guess every once in a while they do get something right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ah, yeah, makes sense. I figure if they were going to push more black heroes they'd start with more traditional DC characters first like Black Lightning, Steel, and Vixen first before tapping Milestone characters (assuming, again, they even can).
    I don’t think any of DCs black heroes have a broad appeal nor a significant enough of source material to warrant a film. Just look a Cyborg, he’s the only member of the Justice League lineup not getting a movie and even his Hot Toy is cancelled. I think if DC does try anything with their traditional black heroes it wouldn’t be well received.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Why is Batman lumped in here, when he's had TWO billion dollar films, more than any other solo superhero.
    Seems bizarre to me, too, but there's this mindset by some now that Bats isn't as popular as he once was. Yeah, I also think it's silly,.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    I don’t think any of DCs black heroes have a broad appeal nor a significant enough of source material to warrant a film. Just look a Cyborg, he’s the only member of the Justice League lineup not getting a movie and even his Hot Toy is cancelled. I think if DC does try anything with their traditional black heroes it wouldn’t be well received.
    Disagree strongly, if Marvel can make obscure characters like Guardians of the Galaxy work, can make Black Panther a billion dollar movie, if DC themselves can make a stellar Wonder Woman and even make Aquaman a billion dollar movie, then it doesn't matter how much source material is or how broad/popular their appeal is, just get the right people to make a good enough movie and any of DC's heroes, black or otherwise, can do well. There isn't a hero that couldn't work, just takes the right vision and the right filmmakers.

Retired

If they make movies for over 100 million that have to make 500 million to be considered a success, then probably not a lot of DC properties will get to the screen. But if they look at it more in the range of your typical horror movie and spend about 20 million on it and hope to make 100 million, then a lot of DC concepts could be filmed. And I bet it would make it feel less like we're being oversaturated with comic book movies--because there would be a lot more variety in the kind of movies that got made. If there's less money on the line, they can afford to do things outside the box instead of playing it safe and doing your typical super-hero blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    To be fair, they reported months ago that the real Mandarin will be the villain of Shang-Chi and that turned out to be accurate. I guess every once in a while they do get something right.
    Not to discount that, but it was something people were already heavily speculating because A) Fu Manchu (Shang-Chi's usual nemesis) was off-limits due to rights issues and B) Kevin Feige did a Reddit AMA where he confirmed Marvel planned to follow up the revelation that there was a real Mandarin in an upcoming film. And given that obviously we aren't getting anymore Iron Man movies, people immediately suspected that he was talking about Shang-Chi.

Sometimes these rumor sites get stuff right not because they actually had inside info, but because they lucked out by making an educated guess based on available evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Just my rant, but I think it has less to do with that and more to do with Cyborg in particular having been a bad choice to push as DC's premier black hero. He's cool in the Teen Titans cartoons, but in the New 52 comics, they did a really poor job of making him appealing to a black audience, and the movies ran with that take. Trust me, if you're trying to sell a black audience on your hero, you're gonna have a hard time when it's the "freak" (not to be offensive to disabled people; this is literally the framing often used in stories) who is constantly getting his ass kicked or ripped apart to show how much of a bad guy the villain of the week is. That is, when he's not sitting around crying and moping about what a monster he is. Homeboy is Buster Bluth if he were a superhero.

Oh, and he also has no dick anymore. And the design they went with in the movie was just really, really ugly. On the whole, Doom Patrol has done a much, MUCH better job of making a cool and appealing Cyborg than the New 52 or the movie did. The angst is still there, but it's not the entirety of his character. He still gets to actually do stuff and be cool.

I firmly believe a well-made Static Shock movie or even Green Lantern Corps if that ever gets off the ground, could seriously succeed where that failed.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree strongly, if Marvel can make obscure characters like Guardians of the Galaxy work, can make Black Panther a billion dollar movie, if DC themselves can make a stellar Wonder Woman and even make Aquaman a billion dollar movie, then it doesn't matter how much source material is or how broad/popular their appeal is, just get the right people to make a good enough movie and any of DC's heroes, black or otherwise, can do well. There isn't a hero that couldn't work, just takes the right vision and the right filmmakers.
    Unlike Wonder Woman and Aquaman, Guardians Of The Galaxy did a completely new take on the characters and lore. Since GOTG was unknown they could make those changes because it was already a risk using a team mainstream audiences never heard of. I think the same thing would need to be done with black heroes like Cyborg. It’s obviously that Cyborg needs a completely new take because none of the characters depictions outside of the animated versions have been memorable and successful.

Spectacular Member

Not to discount that, but it was something people were already heavily speculating because A) Fu Manchu (Shang-Chi's usual nemesis) was off-limits due to rights issues and B) Kevin Feige did a Reddit AMA where he confirmed Marvel planned to follow up the revelation that there was a real Mandarin in an upcoming film. And given that obviously we aren't getting anymore Iron Man movies, people immediately suspected that he was talking about Shang-Chi.

Sometimes these rumor sites get stuff right not because they actually had inside info, but because they lucked out by making an educated guess based on available evidence.

Just my rant, but I think it has less to do with that and more to do with Cyborg in particular having been a bad choice to push as DC's premier black hero. He's cool in the Teen Titans cartoons, but in the New 52 comics, they did a really poor job of making him appealing to a black audience, and the movies ran with that take. Trust me, if you're trying to sell a black audience on your hero, you're gonna have a hard time when it's the "freak" (not to be offensive to disabled people; this is literally the framing often used in stories) who is constantly getting his ass kicked or ripped apart to show how much of a bad guy the villain of the week is. That is, when he's not sitting around crying and moping about what a monster he is. Homeboy is Buster Bluth if he were a superhero.

Oh, and he also has no dick anymore. And the design they went with in the movie was just really, really ugly. On the whole, Doom Patrol has done a much, MUCH better job of making a cool and appealing Cyborg than the New 52 or the movie did. The angst is still there, but it's not the entirety of his character. He still gets to actually do stuff and be cool.

I firmly believe a well-made Static Shock movie or even Green Lantern Corps if that ever gets off the ground, could seriously succeed where that failed.
    I honestly think Green Lantern (John Stewart) is their best option. He’s mostly known because of the cartoon and has a significant interest from people who grew up watching it. DC has mostly pushed Hal Jordan so there’s a high chance DC wouldn’t be the lead of a GL movie.