Page 264 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1642142542602612622632642652662672682743143647641264 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 20948
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Mixed reactions for The Joker during test screenings: https://twitter.com/TheComixKid/stat...22479244214274

Oh well, wonder if WB is already ordering reshoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Oh well, wonder if WB is already ordering reshoots.
    to add more jokes.. lol. I mean, we all knew this Joker movie would be very dark and moody. It's not meant to be a blockbuster or crowd pleaser but a pure character drama.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    to add more jokes.. lol. I mean, we all knew this Joker movie would be very dark and moody. It's not meant to be a blockbuster or crowd pleaser but a pure character drama.
    That's not what he says were the criticisms at all. He says the character study bits were widely praised, and it's the actual Joker-related stuff that people seemed more mixed on.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That's not what he says were the criticisms at all. He says the character study bits were widely praised, and it's the actual Joker-related stuff that people seemed more mixed on.
    This is what he says:

Performances are great, everything else just feels like a forced Joker origin

But it’s also a good character study at times of a man losing control, sounds like it could be divisive

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Joker shouldn't have an origin. It was a stupid money grab by a film studio that sucks and unfortunately has the rights to our characters. I hope everything they do fails and that they go under. They're dog ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Joker shouldn't have an origin. It was a stupid money grab by a film studio that sucks and unfortunately has the rights to our characters. I hope everything they do fails and that they go under. They're dog ****.
    I don't think this movie is being treated like an origin or at-least the typical superhero origin movie we are used to. This is a character study about Todd Phillips' Joker, not really the same kind of Joker we've gotten from tv or movies. It's most likly going to be a one of thing that will rise and fall on it's own merits. I think there is a clear distinction between movies like Nolan's Batman films, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films and Joker to the DCEU or MCU films. The former feels more like a distinct and singular vision that wanted to tell a story with actors they felt needed to fit their style/tone of the character vs a franchise of marketable properties getting big budgets, actors, etc. It's not a dig at those movies just something I feel needs to be looked at when categorizing movies.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I don't think this movie is being treated like an origin or at-least the typical superhero origin movie we are used to. This is a character study about Todd Phillips' Joker, not really the same kind of Joker we've gotten from tv or movies. It's most likly going to be a one of thing that will rise and fall on it's own merits. I think there is a clear distinction between movies like Nolan's Batman films, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films and Joker to the DCEU or MCU films. The former feels more like a distinct and singular vision that wanted to tell a story with actors they felt needed to fit their style/tone of the character vs a franchise of marketable properties getting big budgets, actors, etc. It's not a dig at those movies just something I feel needs to be looked at when categorizing movies.
    I think that’s what is gonna make this movie a tough sell. This generation of moviegoers is accustomed to blockbuster superhero franchises. Origin stories that lead to connected universes. A one off character study is going to turn off a lot of people. I’m personally really looking forward to it but not expecting it to have a huge box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think that’s what is gonna make this movie a tough sell. This generation of moviegoers is accustomed to blockbuster superhero franchises. Origin stories that lead to connected universes. A one off character study is going to turn off a lot of people. I’m personally really looking forward to it but not expecting it to have a huge box office.
    I agree and wouldn't even think about this being in league with any MCU movies or stuff like Aquaman or Wonder Woman. I work a lot with indie filmmakers and making back the budget is generally the best case scenario. This movie will be fine money wise and that shouldn't really be part of the discussion. It's a paltry 55 million (wish I had that laying around) with the DC, Joker, and Joaquin Phoenix's names attached to it compared to something huge like Endgame's 356 million or a smaller original MCU movie like Captain America: First Avenger was 140 million and yeah it will look small. Money shouldn't really matter anyway.

Joker should be compared to stuff like Jerry Maguire or Green Mile, you know late 90s through mid 2000s R-rated dramas/dramaties that make back a nice chunk of change for the studio but are ultimately talked about based on their quality (or lack thereof) of story over visual effects, fight scenes, etc.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

JOKER is a medium budget movie with horror elements coming out in time for Hallowe'en, but with an Oscar level actor with a certain quality that attracts prestigious awards. Anyone thinking this is going to be a failure is using the wrong metric. Maybe it won't be the movie that comic book movie fans want, where they expect at least a couple hundred million spent on the budget and a huge CGI spectacle in the final third of the movie, but it will satisfy the demographic that it's targetted toward. You can see that in the trailer--it's aimed at people who admire psychological character studies, told with an impressive visual style. It doesn't need to make 400 million to be considered a success.

These all sound pretty comic-accurate, but I wonder if that's just to indicate who the character is and not what they're actual portrayals in the movie will be?

I'm kind of surprised Riddler skews older then Penguin does.

I love how with Catwoman they mention her "tight one piece outfit" .

Firefly should be cool to see on-film. Reminds me of how he was in that BvS tie-in comic. Gotham never used Lyns so he can finally get some live-action justice .
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    3 or 4 villains makes me wonder if the movie is going to be disparate yet connected stories that are simply highlighting Bruce Wayne's career as Batman and not having one streamlined story.

side note, that idea for Firefly is from his appearance in Knightfall (Tec #661)
    I think it's more likely that they're all suspects in whatever case Batman is trying to solve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Mixed reactions for The Joker during test screenings: https://twitter.com/TheComixKid/stat...22479244214274
    Huh. This movie was going for more of an indie, psychological, drama feel and that ends up being more liked then the comic book elements.

Maybe it shouldn't have been a Joker movie...

I’m not super excited about The Batman. Besides Firefly, we’ve seen Batman face these villains in live action multiple times. I appreciate that the new Spider-Man movies are giving us villains we’ve never seen before in his previous films. I know Deathstroke isn’t a Batman villain but I was intrigued by Affleck’s idea to make him the main antagonist of his movie.

Very excited to see Firefly, hope he has the the full on Jetpack/flamethrower combo and not just some mask with an arson gimmick.

Just from these initial details I feel like Firefly is going to be the first villain encounter of the movie and will be linked to Penguin through his gun running/trafficking. I think we could see Penguin the most throughout this trilogy as an ever allusive foe that always gets others to do his dirty work.

I just love this line-up of villains and can't wait for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Really, they're dog **** for giving the Joker an origin in an obvious out of continuity elseworld styled film? Just doing something like giving the Joker an origin in a smaller budget picture that'll have no bearing on either the comics or future movies makes them dog ****, and everything they do should fail because of that? That somehow this is more of a stupid money grab than literally every film ever? A stupid money grab never mind the crazy amount of talent they've put on this, the smaller budget, and obvious fact this is more Oscar bait than attempted blockbuster?

God fans are too entitled. Best of luck to them, I'm seeing this in theater for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Really, they're dog **** for giving the Joker an origin in an obvious out of continuity elseworld styled film? Just doing something like giving the Joker an origin in a smaller budget picture that'll have no bearing on either the comics or future movies makes them dog ****, and everything they do should fail because of that? That somehow this is more of a stupid money grab than literally every film ever? A stupid money grab never mind the crazy amount of talent they've put on this, the smaller budget, and obvious fact this is more Oscar bait than attempted blockbuster?

God fans are too entitled. Best of luck to them, I'm seeing this in theater for sure.
    If he thinks this is a money grab I wonder what he thinks literally every other superhero movie ever made was.