Boisterously Confused

Default What's the story on The Power Company?

Power_Company_1.jpg

I loved Busiek's Power Company. I've looked for it on Comixology and DC Universe Infinite. Anybody know what the story on digital access to it is?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Power_Company_1.jpg

I loved Busiek's Power Company. I've looked for it on Comixology and DC Universe Infinite. Anybody know what the story on digital access to it is?
    If I'm not mistaken, Power Company was a creator owned project by Busiek and Grummett (at least partially owned). That probably complicates reprints and digital access. Mr Busiek often kindly post replys to fans questions in these forums, so, he'll probably correct me here if I'm wrong. A shame, I really liked it, and would surely buy a collected edition of it.

Peace

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Power Company was a creator owned project by Busiek and Grummett (at least partially owned). That probably complicates reprints and digital access. Mr Busiek often kindly post replys to fans questions in these forums, so, he'll probably correct me here if I'm wrong. A shame, I really liked it, and would surely buy a collected edition of it.

Peace
    Unfortunate (well, for me anyway, not for Mr. Busiek,et al., and I'm glad they're keeping what's theirs). I do wish I could access it somewhere. PC featured my all-time favorite interpretation of Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Power Company was a creator owned project by Busiek and Grummett (at least partially owned). That probably complicates reprints and digital access. Mr Busiek often kindly post replys to fans questions in these forums, so, he'll probably correct me here if I'm wrong.
    I will!

POWER COMPANY is entirely DC-owned.

They can collect it in trade or make it available digitally any time they want to.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It still baffles me that DC is not trying to push characters like Skyrocket and Stryker Z more in both comics and other media. They are perfect for todays climate and are original POC characters which are always better to use than race swapping other characters.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I will!

They can collect it in trade or make it available digitally any time they want to.

kdb
    Wonderful!

I may now resume languishing in the unending limbo of unanswered hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It still baffles me that DC is not trying to push characters like Skyrocket and Stryker Z more in both comics and other media. They are perfect for todays climate and are original POC characters which are always better to use than race swapping other characters.
    So much this!

It’s so frustrating that they’ve basically been forgotten.

It’s challenging to find success with new (non-legacy) POC characters and DC never wants to put the work in.

There are so few male Asian superheroes in comics. Would love to see Striker Z get another shot. He’s got cool powers and a great name.

Ultimate Member

The problem is that too many writers wanna push their favorites and Kurt isn't a major DC writer at the moment.

But yeah, each character is great, and the concept itself should be used

If Striker and Skyrocket did appear, we'd still get people complaining about raceswaps. DC uses original poc characters all the time and we still get complaints like this.

Retired

Something I appreciated and would like to see in trade paperback collections is when the comic had "From the files of Wells and Schaum," on the letters page (when the comic was allowed to have a letter page), where John Wells (a.k.a. Mikishawm*) would give background data for references in the issues. It's the little things that matter a lot.

*Mikishawm, the name used by John Wells for posting on old message boards, is the underground world visited by Mark Lansing in ADVENTURE COMICS 53 (August 1940) - 62 (May 1941), story and art by Howard Purcell.

DC just likes to leave things off of digital.

I've been hoping to read the Silver Age event with Agamemno, or the various Justice League one shots from the late 90s/early 2000s like Foreign Bodies and Superpower for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I will!

kdb
    I stand corrected.

Peace

Ultimate Member

So much agreement. Those two both were compelling in their own way, coming into the hero business from very different places. She's kind of a practical hard-nosed so-it-yourself-engineer with, IIRC, a military mindset. He's very much one of the young generation, with his own social media presence and focus groups testing out his branding, whose 'super-power' primarily powers his gear, the source of which is left open, for possible future complications. (Is said source STAR labs? Or LexCorp...)