Page 482 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 382432472478479480481482483484485486492532582982 ... LastLast
Results 7,216 to 7,230 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    BoP could've used a better marketing and probably a different release date and I believe it could've done better.
    I'm wondering if a PG-13 rating would have helped too.

I'm seeing it tonight, so I'm curious to see if anything could have been cut/trimmed down to get a lower rating. The title thing is embarrassing though, that and the marketing really let this movie down.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    People making a fuss about a movie on the internet can rarely ever affect the movie's box office results. That's the thing about social media, lots of people who use it to spread negativity can't seem to realize that in the grand scheme of things they're simply irrelevant. BoP could've used a better marketing and probably a different release date and I believe it could've done better.
    Yeah, certain sections of fandom seem to have had it in for this movie since before it's release but they really don't make any kind of genuine impact on a movie's fortunes. Social media is nowhere near as representative of real life as it wishes it was. I realise the hypocrisy of saying that on an internet forum also.

BOP has been badly affected by it's R rating, especially in the US. This was never a film that was gonna have the mass appeal of, say, a Spider-Man movie. Restricting it's potential audience even more was just lunacy. Take away the R rating and you could have added an extra 20 million or so onto it's US box office takings so far. The Deadpool route was NOT the right approach for a movie like this.

Those figures I posted before for Friday, which were just projections, were actually wrong. BOP ended up doing around 7 million on Friday, not the 9 million initially forecast. I stand by my comments that this movie will certainly break even though.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-15-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm wondering if a PG-13 rating would have helped too.
    It definitely would have helped, since an R rating reduces the potential audience around half of a PG-13 film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It definitely would have helped, since an R rating reduces the potential audience around half of a PG-13 film.
    Here in the UK BOP is rated slightly differently. It has a 15 rating, which means there is more leeway with the teenage audience. Consequently, the film has posted decent enough box office business over here.

It's not broken any records of course but the rating is slightly more lenient and it shows.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

As far as I'm concerned, the BoP should be a PG-13 franchise. You'd want young girls to look up to Black Canary and the other Birds, and supposedly Harley's popular with younger audiences.

I mean, Cassandra Cain's not in the movie, but they missed a huge opportunity there nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Thats "rick and morty is too intelligent for you" levels of delusion but hey, you enjoy you. Movie taste is subjective after all.
    I was just being silly...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Cassandra Cain's not in the movie, but they missed a huge opportunity there nevertheless.
    Ooh, snap!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Going into it's second weekend and BOP's box office numbers, whilst still not great, are slightly less of a horror show:

DOMESTIC (27.3%)
    $42,158,302
    INTERNATIONAL (72.7%)
    $112,159,388
    WORLDWIDE
    $154,317,690

The film raked in another $8.9 million in the US on Friday to take it's tally there to around the 50 million mark. This film could very well get into profitability territory now, which will be somewhere around the 250-300 million mark.

Not a big hit then, but certainly not the disaster it initially appeared either.
    https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/s...526053888?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I was just being silly...
    The issue is there are people who arent being silly who wholeheartedly post stuff like thst

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I think a R rated movie titled “HARLEY QUINN” would have been much more lucrative. Having the Birds of Prey title and a R rating together obviously was detrimental.

But again, at least the product itself is good. This movie could have new life once it starts streaming. Since it has good word of mouth people may be excited to watch it in their homes.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think a R rated movie titled “HARLEY QUINN” would have been much more lucrative. Having the Birds of Prey title and a R rating together obviously was detrimental.

But again, at least the product itself is good. This movie could have new life once it starts streaming. Since it has good word of mouth people may be excited to watch it in their homes.
    No disagreement with anything you posted, Robotman.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just got back from seeing this. As a representation of the Birds of Prey IP by itself, it falls shot. But as a film in itself, it was greatly enjoyable!

I think a softer rating by cutting out some of the language and toning down some (but not really a lot, honestly) of the violence would have helped it reach a wider audience. And I don't think it should have been called BOP. It's an ensemble, but Harley is still clearly the main focus. But it works very well as a sort of "back door pilot" for the BOP at large and an introduction to the beginning stages of these characters. While Margot Robbie is of course the main highlight (and still the most perfect CBM casting ever), Black Canary and Huntress were awesome too. The Canary Cry was probably my favorite single moment.

Really liked Rosie Perez as Montoya as well. Wish we could have had Bullock as her partner in a few scenes.

Naming the girl Cass is the only major drawback. If she had been Holly Robinson or something, it would have been fine. As an adaptation of Cassandra Cain it is absolutely terrible, but Ella Jay Basco obviously isn't at fault for that at all. She was good for what her role was, and her dynamic with Harley was really sweet.
    This is also the ONLY time I've found Black Mask and Zsasz entertaining.

Would love a proper BOP film with Canary, Huntress and Montoya being joined by Batgirl. I wasn't entirely digging their outfits at the end there, though. I think we could get a proper Nicola Scott style costume for Huntress and have it look good fairly easily.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Just got back from seeing this. As a representation of the Birds of Prey IP by itself, it falls shot. But as a film in itself, it was greatly enjoyable!

This is also the ONLY time I've found Black Mask and Zsasz entertaining.

Would love a proper BOP film with Canary, Huntress and Montoya being joined by Batgirl. I wasn't entirely digging their outfits at the end there, though. I think we could get a proper Nicola Scott style costume for Huntress and have it look good fairly easily.
    Same here. My thoughts go back to this movie all the time. Best 7,00 Euros I spent all week and it made me buy BoP by Gail Simone on Amazon, plus the movie tie-in for Huntress (already own it... Cry for Blood, a classic) and Batman Arkham Black Mask. In a movie like this I don't mind plotholes or twisted adaptations of classic characters. Its entertaining and a better action movie than all of the Fast and the Furious/Transformer crapfests combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the BoP should be a PG-13 franchise. You'd want young girls to look up to Black Canary and the other Birds, and supposedly Harley's popular with younger audiences.

Young kids should have been a demo they wanted to hit but this type of movie would not have been good without the R rating imo
    I'll take good reviews over box office any day

You live and learn and one thing that I've definitely learned this weekend is that Box Office Mojo has become very unreliable since it's redesign. Here's what I HOPE are BoP's box office numbers after it's second weekend:

DOMESTIC (42.5%)
    $61,673,302
    INTERNATIONAL (57.5%)
    $83,600,000
    WORLDWIDE
    $145,273,302

If that's not exact then it can't be too far off. I believe it's a four day weekend over in the States. Whilst these figures are not great it's not a particularly bad hold for a second weekend that saw Sonic fly out of the gates.

For the record it's good to see Sonic set off so well. It received some legitimate complaints over Sonic's original design and, instead of treating those criticisms with disdain, crying about spoilt man-babies and then wondering why it's subsequent box office is then so appalling, the producers of the film took notes and made the necessary visual improvements. The other Hollywood studios would do well to take note of that.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!