Page 410 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 310360400406407408409410411412413414420460510910 ... LastLast
Results 6,136 to 6,150 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Still think the Rock was miscast and they can definitely find a way better actor but we'll see.
    There are probably better actors, but this film is 100 percent only getting made because of the Rock's star power. This has been a passion project for him for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I can’t believe an R-rated movie about a clown psychopath will join the billion dollar club while the first ever Justice League movie couldn’t even join the 700 million club. We live in strange times indeed.
    The modern landscape of superhero success would probably be surprising to many people from years ago.

I'm sure Aquaman and Rocket Raccoon being bigger draws at the box office than Superman would also be something folks couldn't wrap their heads around even a few decade back.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I can’t believe an R-rated movie about a clown psychopath will join the billion dollar club while the first ever Justice League movie couldn’t even join the 700 million club. We live in strange times indeed.
    Well, the former is a quality film featuring the most famous supervillain of them all, while the latter was a Frankenstein-like merger of two disparate visions. I guess I'm not that surprised.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

A lot of the movies that have made it into the billion dollar club are not what I consider great cinema. There are lots of factors that help a movie get that high. Many have big budgets with lots of production values, brand-recognition, easily understood plots (that work for any language) and play well in China. I didn't think that JUSTICE LEAGUE was such a bad movie and it had all those elements that have helped other movies get to a billion. It surprised me that its opening weekend fell below that of MAN OF STEEL, BVS, SUICIDE SQUAD and WONDER WOMAN. I'd expect that it would at least have a chance of a big opening weekend before most people had seen it. The fact that it didn't tells me that the movie was already considered worthless before it opened in theatres.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Dwayne Johnson IG:

"The Man in Black ⚡️
    Like most kids growing up, I dreamed about being a superhero. Having cool superpowers, fighting for what’s right and always protecting the people.
    It all changed for me, when I was 10yrs old and was first introduced to the greatest superhero of all time - SUPERMAN.
    As a kid, Superman was the hero I always wanted to be.
    But, a few years into my fantasy, I realized that Superman was the hero, I could never be.
    I was too rebellious. Too rambunctious. Too resistant to convention and authority.
    Despite my troubles, I was still a good kid with a good heart - I just liked to do things my way.
    Now, years later as a man, with the same DNA I had as a kid - my superhero dreams have come true.
    I’m honored to join the iconic #DCUniverse and it’s a true pleasure to become, BLACK ADAM.
    BLACK ADAM is blessed by magic with the powers equal to SUPERMAN, but the difference is he doesn’t toe the mark or walk the line.
    He’s a rebellious, one of a kind superhero, who’ll always do what’s right for the people - but he does it his way.
    Truth and justice - the BLACK ADAM way.
    This role is unlike any other I’ve ever played in my career and I’m grateful to the bone we’ll all go on this journey together.
    BLACK ADAM
    12.22.21 ⚡️
    Huge thank you to my friends, @jimlee and @bosslogic for this first time ever bad ass collaboration."

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B42odCrFF42/
    Reading Golden Age Superman now and it kind of irks me to see him describe Adam as basically how Superman was originally envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Going by last names, you'd assume that Kents, Waynes, Kanes and Lanes came from England, Gordons from Scotland and Olsens from Denmark. To explain how people with other origins have these European names, you have to assume these are slaves names, or they inter-married, or they were adopted, or they changed their names to assimilate into the dominant culture. So even though you've given these characters no back story, there's an implicit back story in how they got the family names. It would be a lot easier to introduce diversity with characters that retain the traditional family names of their ancestors.

With Lana Lang--the family name can go either way. It could be German or Hungarian, but it can also be Chinese. However, on SMALLVILLE, they made it that Lana's father of record and her biological father were both of European ancestry--and it was her mother that was Amerasian, with the maiden name Potter. Oopsy.
    I honestly don't see that as an issue for movie goers or the general public.

I know lots of black people with European last names and I have to say never once did it seem odd, need explanation or imply slavery. It's pretty common [at least here in England]

My wife is Nigerian born and raised and her maiden name is Williams [by marriage going back ]

I do however agree that diversity [race] for Hollywood should mean diversity. It's not a black and white world after all
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-14-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Still wishing they had gone with Eiza González as Catwoman. Plus she is 5'8" so more the height I would expect Catwoman to be.
    She can wear heels. Works for Tom Cruise.

For red heads wigs, weaves and dyes can be used like they did for Mera
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-14-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Reading Golden Age Superman now and it kind of irks me to see him describe Adam as basically how Superman was originally envisioned.
    If it helps, his interpretation of Black Adam sounds very different from how the character was originally envisioned as well.

Retired

There's been many different versions of Black Adam, so I'm not bothered. When the guy first appeared it was just for one story. From that we know he was created to be a hero, but then a lot like Sinestro the power went to his head and he became a villain. In the JSA version, he redeemed himself--I mean, I don't like all the killing that was in JSA, but Geoff Johns seems to be pretty happy with heroes killing, so Adam fit right in.

The basic arc of the character makes a good three act plot. Guy gets powers and becomes the hero of his people; guy is corrupted by power; guy sees the error of his ways and reforms.

I don't think this requires a lot of acting from Johnson. Really, he should do as little as possible and let the power of the character be the note he plays. Instead the actors around him should be doing the work--showing how Adam impacts them. Which would mean some heavy scenes for Djimon Hounsou in the first act of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    A lot of the movies that have made it into the billion dollar club are not what I consider great cinema. There are lots of factors that help a movie get that high. Many have big budgets with lots of production values, brand-recognition, easily understood plots (that work for any language) and play well in China. I didn't think that JUSTICE LEAGUE was such a bad movie and it had all those elements that have helped other movies get to a billion. It surprised me that its opening weekend fell below that of MAN OF STEEL, BVS, SUICIDE SQUAD and WONDER WOMAN. I'd expect that it would at least have a chance of a big opening weekend before most people had seen it. The fact that it didn't tells me that the movie was already considered worthless before it opened in theatres.
    The opening weekend being so low isn't all that surprising. It was a sequel to a movie that had poor legs and divisive reactions, and those sorts of films usually end up seeing a downturn (the same thing happened with the second Ninja Turtles reboot movie as well). It eventually even caught up with the Transformers series after a while, even though those used to be the gold standard for movies people would pay to see regardless of whether or not they were good.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The JOKER is laughing his way from stealing the spotlight and the money from the Justice League. HaHaHAHaHaHaHaHa!

Joker10.jpg

If Snyder had been allowed to finish his movie or had WB scrapped the whole thing to start anew, even with Joss Whedon at the helm, it' would have at least made 700 millions. Sadly, it was an utter mess of a movie and everyone knew it before going to the theaters.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    If Snyder had been allowed to finish his movie or had WB scrapped the whole thing to start anew, even with Joss Whedon at the helm, it' would have at least made 700 millions. Sadly, it was an utter mess of a movie and everyone knew it before going to the theaters.
    I agree. If they had stuck to just one vision, it would have done significantly better.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Well I can’t say I agree with considering the vast majority of audiences don’t pay attention to behind-the-scenes news with movies that . Audiences that make up the majority ticket sales were not aware of what happened with Justice League, they were only aware that the movie was coming out. Personally, I don’t think Snyder should’ve been even allowed to direct Justice League in first place since I think it would’ve been better for all sides if they had an mutual split based on creative differences, and they delayed the project so they can find another director. Mind you, I mean no offense to Mr. Snyder as I think he’s wicked talented, but all I’m saying it would’ve been preferable to simply working with under the constraints they gave him after BvS, that forced him to adjust his original vision.

However, I understand why the studio didn’t do that since they were already knee-deep in pre-production and they already spent millions of dollars on building sets and pre-vis.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-15-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Is Shazam part of Black Adam or will there be a movie where both meet? I haven't kept up with those developments but really like the Shazam movie.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I completely agree with this. What they did instead was very bad.